Defensive Play

Dbl_Edge_DEPDbl_Edge_DEP Member Posts: 354
edited April 22 in Strategy Discussion

Today marks the day that I was able to achieve 1000 stars for the first time since playing. As a note, my survs and heroes average level 20 with 1 pink star and none of my heroes are pinks, my equipment is outclassed on average by about 1 or so levels, not to mention mostly tacky badges across the board and I am player level 53.

This was tough as the odds were stacked against me, until I realised I had been playing wrong for higher levels. Once you reach RSL+6/7, it would do you well to start playing defensive, in particular, playing chicken when you have space to do so.

So for example, in Fire In The Hole, there are three sections, the start where there may be a tank in the shadows, the central section where exploders spawn each turn and the exit section behind a gate.

The way I managed this at RSL+9 was to have Morgan in lead, along with a shooter and a warrior.
I sent the shooter in to pop shots at the tank near the exit, and handle the exploders before opening the fence. Once I cleared the exit out enough, I opened the gate, charged my warrior up and kept leading one or two towards the start of the map to keep clearing a path to the exit. If you can position yourself enough so exploders clear out large groups of walkers, that will assist you greatly, taking care not to get caught in the blast radius also.

My shooter and warrior took a couple slaps and went in to the red, but I had a warrior and bruiser charge saved up and used those to clear out the exit and lead my people to victory.

I face much frustration as the challenge gets more intense, but taking time to slow down and try something different may bear fruitful results.

Thank you to @Suckit @Cronus @Carly @Melificent as your videos and advice got me through this slogfest.

With Ka-Boom! Behind us in a few hours... I don't want to see this map set for another year... Over and out.

Dbl Edge DEP!
I plan for the best and I plan for the worst - Dbl Edge
Show and prove, otherwise humble thyself
Catch me on LINE app - Line ID: dbledgedep
CarlyCronusSCBMADodkongATLAS-Z

Comments

• CarlyCarly Member Posts: 2,148
    Congrats on your new pb!
    My peanut butter chocolate cake with Kool-Aid
    Leader of Badger Hounds
    100% F2P
    MyYouTubeChannel
    Dbl_Edge_DEP
  • Dbl_Edge_DEPDbl_Edge_DEP Member Posts: 354
    Thank you @Carly it was TOUGH! I took so many spankings my people had sore backsides. 😜
    CarlyPandreqbigbeano
  • CronusCronus Member Posts: 1,039
    edited April 22
    Congratulations on that milestone! Tactical play needed at the higher levels will make you a much improved player week in and week out.
    Dbl_Edge_DEP
    Agreed and thanks Sir. I am still coming to terms with it now. We have Fouled Prison next. I wanna see what heights this will bring.
    Skkrrrrrt..... Boom!

Upward trajectory, new PB, gotta keep pushing
    Pandreq

On the verge of level 21 toons. I told myself I would grab 1300 stars beforehand. It's time to rest now. 🙂
    tabernacShadowWalkerPandreq
  • ShayHaShayHa Member Posts: 169
    Could you share some knowledge how you get so far? I cant handle rsl +5 and then my survivors get injured or struggle almost every time.
    Where to find videos that help on high level?
    Hi @ShayHa no problem.

Typically, a few main factors come in to play for me, badges, equipment, survivor traits and classes.

- Badges : your best damage reduction and health badges & your best critical damage and damage badges will get you far. (in order) Put the first pair on your best bruisers, warriors and assaults, and the second pair on your scouts, shooters and hunters. I play with uncommon to legendary badges.

- Equipment : weapons ; razor, piercing, wide arc, destructive, charging, concussion, lucky, tactical, large calibre (lethal in some cases) are the main weapon traits I seek. If you are pay to play, seek a weapon which gives an atypical advantage like the morgan staff, which allows you to hit/stun 3 targets instead of just 1, if free to play, make the most of what you have available. armor ; Iron Skin, Hazard Suit, dodge, Ruthless, xp boost, health boost (even sniper harness when up against Freemen). Play to the strengths first and foremost, then focus on ironing out weakness if possible. Bruisers / Warriors / Assaults are all tanks and benefit defending and high health, so they can shield your damage dealers.
    I only use epic or legendary equipment and scrap anything which only has 1 in 3 good traits.

- Survivor Traits : For this, my preferred classes are bruisers, scouts and shooters, typically one target hitters.
    - Bruisers are high health, low damage, stun, ideal traits ; iron skin, dodge, lucky, retaliate, punish, power strike (especially when played with tactical).
    - Scouts are high damage, low health, guaranteed crits on charge attacks, furthest running distance, ideal traits ; power strike, ruthless, lucky, strong, iron skin (I pair up tactical with PS again but iron skin should be a fail safe).
    - Shooters are high damage, average health, guaranteed crits on charge attacks, ideal traits ; sure shot, marksman, lucky, ruthless, revenge. If you play with a bruiser up front, they will take hits and your shooter will pop off shots at enemies.
    Hunters, Warriors and Assaults I will use early to mid challenge but soon move over to my main 3 classes.

Once you reach +5RSL enemies will get guaranteed critical hits against you. This is when iron skin, hazard suit, tactical, dodge and lucky shine. Eugene helps greatly at reducing crits and reducing them to normal attacks, Morgan will take hits and turn many in to charge points. Stack up best loadouts on these two if they are epic or above.

Savannah Guy High Level Play
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKiOBGi8b21qU_BqUozWNpA

Narnia High Level and No Badges Play
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM5CNSx4JNo-9cLEEwOKzyQ

These are only my preferences and opinions, I'm still learning myself.
    Hopefully this helps, if not I can look at what you have and see if I can provide advice based on your specific loadout.
    ShayHabigbeano
  • NarniaNarnia Member Posts: 60
    @Dbl_Edge_DEP I usually don't get on forums these days, and rarely do I check in on these threads, but I humbly thank you for promoting my youtube channel and new experiment with badgeless videos. It is quite an honor to be mentioned, and I really appreciate that!
    In another note, It is quite fun to track your progress on this thread, please continue to contribute your progression into the highest echelon of players right here! I can't wait to see you with max level survivors, heroes and equipment!
    Dbl_Edge_DEPbigbeanoignas
    @Narnia not a problem. I give respect where it's due. You have taught me a ton also. How the heck someone can play badgeless at high level is a myth to me! Keep up the videos!
    Definitely, I tend to update once I pass each 100 mark, so will continue to document and push progress.
    @Dbl_Edge_DEP
    Big thanks for the information!
    Will try to do my best, will be in touch if need any new tip ;)
    Dbl_Edge_DEP
    @ShayHa no problem, here if you need me.
    ShayHa
    edited August 18

Alexandria Challenge - August 2019
    1500 milestone. Toons at level 21, mix of on par and outclassed equipment. Scout bonus +50% damage and pre-charged.

Main strategy, utilising kiting, threat reduction via prowls (2 or more chances), swift strike for additional turns, tactical to enhance and make use of powerstrike, allowing for repositioning / double up attacks via tactical prowls. 80%DR and high health on single bruiser.
    tabernacShayHa
    Very nice man! you are awesome
    Dbl_Edge_DEP
    Thanks @ShayHa , I do what I can. I'm hoping to take it to the next level once my toons get to level 22. How did you do this challenge?
    @Dbl_Edge_DEP a little below 1k and my survivors are level 25.
    Will use your help once I reach level 26 and get some weapons :) :)
    Dbl_Edge_DEP
    Do you use Line app @ShayHa ? I spend most of my time strategising, taking and offering tips on there. Trust me, you have it in you to get really high scores. You're halfway there with the level of your toons and a have a far greater advantage.
    ShayHa
    I barely go there @Dbl_Edge_DEP , but can go to chat, I use discord too.