The Walking Dead-ENDS (comic)

"I’m upset, too. I’m going to miss it as much as you will, if not more so. It breaks my heart that I had to end it. and we have to move on but I just love this world too much to stretch things out until it doesn’t live up to what I want it to be," reads a purported partial statement from Kirkman. "I hope you understand. I hope you. dear reader, know how much I appreciate the gift you have given me. I got to tell my story exactly how I wanted to, for 193 issues, and end it on my terms, with no interference at all along the way… at any point. That’s such a rare thing, and it doesn’t exist without the unyielding support this series got from readers like you. Thank you so much."

https://www.newsarama.com/45841-the-walking-dead-193-spoilers.html

Guts & Glory, not always in that order.
avelardez

Comments

• DeadheadsDeadheads Member Posts: 558
    This is a hoax right? I'm seeing covers and pre-orders for issue 194 and 195.
  • afroponixafroponix Member Posts: 503
    Uh, no, not a hoax
    Guts & Glory, not always in that order.
  • avelardezavelardez Member Posts: 984
    So I got two issues left. Missing 186-189.
  • MadPuppyMadPuppy Moderator Posts: 2,825
    Boil down the writers' letter at end of the issue: "Ran out of good material" basically.
  • psychwolfpsychwolf Member Posts: 1,011
    My theory is that he was pissed the show based off his work went into such an irredeemable downward spiral. He didn't want to be associated with it anymore. It was his legacy and the show took a giant dump all over it. I know so many people will disagree with me but it seems very plausible based on his statements and previous reactions.
  • Dbl_Edge_DEPDbl_Edge_DEP Member Posts: 283
    Perhaps it has jumped the shark and most if not has been said, or done already, the show I mean. I believe it could be renewed if they make it slightly more realistic and stop running vehicles as they don't have refineries or fuel production centres. Also making Judith a "formidable" foe to all the potential baddies is a major stretch. Introduce a cure to work towards, new obstacles, get rid of the dead weight blah blah blah!
    I plan for the best and I plan for the worst - Dbl Edge
    Show and prove, otherwise humble thyself
    Catch me on LINE app - Line ID: dbledgedep
    DonCoqui
  • DonCoquiDonCoqui Member Posts: 564
    Killing "Coral" was the beginning of the end for me. This is a show about societal (dis)order in the face of a persisting apocalyptic event. A new normal. To me, he was the common thread back through season one... Lori, Shane, Rick, Michonne, Negan. He is by far not my favorite character, but with him gone the story resets like a daytime soap opera. Killing Rick seals it.

Oh well, it is what it is. I'll keep tuning in though.
    Staying plugged in w/ the forum for a good dose of daily entertainment .
    "You wanna impress me? You take the wheel for a little while mofo." --Eddie Murphy, Delirious
    ShadowWalkerbigbeanoDodkong
  • ShadowWalkerShadowWalker Member Posts: 151
    > @psychwolf said:
    > My theory is that he was pissed the show based off his work went into such an irredeemable downward spiral. He didn't want to be associated with it anymore. It was his legacy and the show took a giant dump all over it. I know so many people will disagree with me but it seems very plausible based on his statements and previous reactions.

I agree. George RR Martin is probably very upset with the ending to Game of Thrones.
  • Dbl_Edge_DEPDbl_Edge_DEP Member Posts: 283
    @DonCoqui Coorrrraaaaalll! 🤣
    He started off as a nuisance, developed and matured, then regressed at his end. Tje guy was willing to have himself sacrificed for some random guy he didn't even know. All because of off screen politics, but the comic version is meant to be wiser and more relatable.

Oh and his gf moved on from him pretty fast. Almost like he never existed.
    Same with Jesus... off screen politics killed him off. AMC should get in to politics and assassin work.
    I plan for the best and I plan for the worst - Dbl Edge
    Show and prove, otherwise humble thyself
    Catch me on LINE app - Line ID: dbledgedep
    DonCoquibigbeanoGovernator
  • GrendelGrendel Member Posts: 42
    I wouldn't be surprised if he is pissed about the show. I remember an old statement from Kirkman that basically said: "This is not a horror story or a zombie story; this is a story about Rick."
  • GrendelGrendel Member Posts: 42
    With the writing last season, I'm ready for the show to end also. In a single episode Rick wrestles with Daryl and falls into a pit and then falls off a horse onto a random pile of concrete and rebar... (Not to mention that the pit looked like it had been freshly dug with an excavator and shows no signs of water flowing down/through it...)
    Governatorbigbeano
  • GovernatorGovernator Member Posts: 3,471
    From what I read from Kirkman's letter is he had this ending for the comics in his mind for quite some time. He knew that the story would eventually catch up with that ending he envisioned. Basically, TWD comics ran it's course and there was nothing they could add to push the storyline out longer without it looking like they were just milking a cash cow. RIP TWD Comics.

On a related note, I think the original TWD TV series is not too far behind. It just seems they are being real lazy with the writing with the goal of milking the cash cow. Kirkman can't really be too happy with that, but he'll cash those AMC checks. They already are starting to film another TV series based on this walker apocalypse and several movies with Rick are in the works.

PS: Also read that the actress playing Michonne (Danai Gurira) is leaving after this season. That won't help the TV show's ratings given her visibility in the Marvel cinematic universe. I think the show will suffer with her absence. Unless the writing improves, I give the show another 2-3 seasons at best.
    bigbeano
  • LoneWanderer360LoneWanderer360 Member Posts: 175
    Pretty sure they are planning to merge both shows together before ending both series. The whole thing with Morgan trying to take the FTWD gang back to Virginia and the common element of the mysterious helicopters/COG.

For what it's worth, I think the books are pretty good. Jay Bonansinga does a good job of bringing Kirkman's ideas to life in the long format.
  • ArtminiusArtminius Member Posts: 216
    SO Wikipedia says that Compendium 4 will include "145-193", and it has been in preorder for, like, months.

Maybe this isn't such a surprise to Kirkman? Maybe he knew that the volume (stoyline) that ends in 193 was The Nuts (as in "Soup to Nuts") and only the announcement was held back. Hmm... or maybe he really did dry up on plating after that storyline and was unable to keep the lead-time pace of a monthly comic (IIRC, most comic lines are being worked 3-5 months in advance).
  • ArtminiusArtminius Member Posts: 216
    Hmmm... but several new sites--and Amazon itself--says 145-192. I wonder if they're jamming the last, extra issue in at then end; or if Wikipedia is wrong (likely!); or what?
    I've only bought the compendiums... and it would be a little odd on the shelf if the final issue had to be a single comic next to those four behemoths! :)