Endless Mode - New game mode as Scavenge alternative

I propose two types of Endless Mode maps:

Type 1: An endless march of spawning walkers. Their levels increase gradually, and special walkers are mixed in - including spiked and metalheads. No crates to open. Just kill as many walkers as you can. You get normal XP from killing walkers, plus an additional supply or XP reward based on how many you kill total.

Type 2: Open endless crates. There are 6(?) crates on the map, but only one is active at a time. When that crate is opened, another crate randomly becomes active. The goal is to open as many crates as possible. You get normal XP from killing walkers, plus an additional supply or XP reward based on how many you crates you open.

I see this mode being an alternative to Scavenge since you can gain supplies and XP, as well as a challenging new mode that can be added to the leaderboards.

If NG wants to be evil, they can program the modes so that if your survivors die you lose your kill / crate count and get no bonus rewards. Maybe special events could be held and xp/supply rewards be replaced with tokens or radios or trade goods.

(Just trying to come up with something new to do that hopefully wouldn't take a lot of NG resources. I'm getting bored with Distance and Challenge, Outpost has always been boring, and Scavenge is just a necessary grind.)
ladre5TimboskiShadowWalkerden4playJadenTroublemakermagicSPC_TORRESromeoJayZbladgierflyingcowkingscoonersDeathwish19ZettemihaitopirceanuATLAS-ZEl_Sarge

Comments

• magicmagic Member Posts: 195
    I like your suggestion! It would be great with a more challenging grind than scavenger. Something harder with better rewards.
    I am collecting badge crafting results. If you want to contribute please note down as much about each crafting as you can in the sequence you craft and send it to me. Recipe, effect and bonus condition is especially interesting.
    Discord server to discuss badge crafting: https://discord.gg/PvWYqaQ
    romeo
  • GrendelGrendel Member Posts: 247
    There are a couple of Scavenge maps I play as a sort of endless mode occasionally. Takes a long time and the rewards aren't great, but breaks up the grind.

@Fluxxx Any chance of something like this happening?
  • scoonersscooners Member Posts: 63
    I'd hit that.
  • FluxxxFluxxx Community Manager Posts: 714
    Cool ideas! We've informally discussed some things that are similar to this, but it's hanging in the air for now with everything else that's going on. So to answer your question @Grendel , is there a chance? Definitely maybe 😅
    JankelDanski_46mihaitopirceanu
    To add another layer to this very good suggestion you could limit survivor choices in this mode to only three different random classes each week. That might call for a different strategy every week.
    I am collecting badge crafting results. If you want to contribute please note down as much about each crafting as you can in the sequence you craft and send it to me. Recipe, effect and bonus condition is especially interesting.
    ShadowWalkerArtminius
  • MojakuMojaku Member Posts: 128
    Type 1 please!!!
  • ArtminiusArtminius Member Posts: 482
    I'm on board, but there are things to consider.
    * How much gas to go on an Endless Mission? It would have to be pretty high, for parity with other mission types. 5 gas in Scavenge allows for up to 100, increasing-level Zs. That's even kind of tricky: I have to be sure to use loud, single-target weapons (with Abe as bailout) and carefully manage charges to get anywhere close to 100 Zs. They just start to outclass my nerds and gear and I'm having to hit each one many, many times. Not good when the next wave--harder still--arrives.
    * How would drive-by Daryl leading make it perverse? I could see him and a couple of scout buddies just zig zagging past a small number of Zs, eventually only having two hard ones... that never get to touch my nerds because I just zoom by constantly. (Skinny would bring that to a close right quick, though!)
    * Ending the mission: Would there be an exit area active at the start and you just move away when done? Flee would suck, due to the damage.
    * NG revenue. What keeps the light on, if I can (for example) kill about 1000 Zs with a full tank of gas in about 60 minutes? That's A LOT of XP, for little real investment. I can almost do that with Scavenge, but not without buying a gas refill for TG or Gold (or 24 hr free gas).

For my money, I'd rather the max difficulty Story Missions be always available to replay; adjusted for difficulty by your nerds, pinks, badges, etc. I think that's a lot less to code, reuses existing assets, gives a nice nostalgia hit, and could make for A LOT more fun "scavenge" because some of those Story Missions were HARD and some had infinite spawns (so getting to 100 isn't such a chore of managing to attract enough before you tap out).
    mihaitopirceanuATLAS-Z
    Artminius said:

I'm on board, but there are things to consider.
    * Ending the mission: Would there be an exit area active at the start and you just move away when done? Flee would suck, due to the damage.

I would suggest no exit area, then the damage would be part of the cost, so you would be paying hospital time instead of gas. That would make the mission costly to repeat over and over again by paying gold for healing.
  • FirekidFirekid Member Posts: 2,268
    @huskersoxfan you and me are in the same wavelength! Unfortunately it’s going to be real low priority for NG. https://forums.nextgames.com/walkingdead/discussion/41518/training-grounds#latest
    huskersoxfan
  • ArtminiusArtminius Member Posts: 482
    magic said:

I would suggest no exit area, then the damage would be part of the cost, so you would be paying hospital time instead of gas. That would make the mission costly to repeat over and over again by paying gold for healing.

OK, that's another mitigation of playing it over and over (like a high gas cost would be). Might get it relegated to an mission type that is only run by folks on Tuesday, though. Hospital time is one of the primary (if not THE primary) limiters for Challenge. I wouldn't want one of my best to be down for 2 hours, unless it was something I did to use up the last of my gas (in which case the 2-hour hospital stay is meaningless: I won't have full gas in that time, usually).

But I still think that level-adjusted Story Missions would offer more bang for the buck, without much new coding.