How do I effectively use Huntsman Daryl?

OohbabyOohbaby Member Posts: 42
I’ve learned in the distance he can run past heavy walkers on those maps where you just want to make a break for the gate and not really kill the heavy. I don’t understand how he attacks by running past the target though. I just send him right for the target and he kills it, so I must be missing the finner points of this hero. Tips???

Comments

• psychwolfpsychwolf Member Posts: 1,273
    It's hard to explain without showing you. You have to gauge distance. The point is to be close enough so you can move past the target and not lose your turn. Make sure his range does not turn blue before you make your move. He will run by and attack. His turn will not be ended and then you can run back to where you were and he will attack them again. So, two attacks in one turn.
    OohbabyZetteSPC_TORRES
  • JadenJaden Member Posts: 3,055
    edited August 15
    Or if you just want to run past it, to the exit for example, just move as if you wanted to reach the exit and ignore everything in the path.

He will then run past whatever there is and if it's in the direct path, he will attack the first walker he encounters (and ignore all others - and they will ignore him).
    Leader of Morbid Sinners and Morbid Spirits

Morbid Survivors are looking for you! If you are looking for a new guild, PM me.
    Oohbaby
  • ArtminiusArtminius Member Posts: 314
    Additional note: Spear and Bayonet can mess up the move-by, I've noticed.

Because of their two-space range, he isn't counted as completely 'past' the walker he's moving by until the weapon is at max range to still be able to 'hit back'. I've definitely gotten myself in binds when forgetting that nuance.

Psychwolf is right about the double-hit trick. Further, you can just attack after the move by--you needn't try to run back again--and thereby retain the first move's position (e.g., on way to exit or objective).

It gets REALLY great with gold arc warrior or Hockey Stick/Morgan Staff bruisers being lead by HDaryl. :grin:
    I've used Michonne to kill upwards of six/seven Zs in one turn, with the right 'dance moves'.

Finally, my Guild Wars strategy all-but requires HDaryl in lead: Haul ass to exit, to get as many missions done as possible in the 50 minutes. [Too bad that's basically a non-thing, now!]
    psychwolfOohbabyZette
  • magicmagic Member Posts: 134
    edited October 17
    I have seen a video where just moving other survivors before moving HDaryl changed Daryl from not doing a passing attack to doing it. I guess HDaryl has to move out of two spaces where the walker can hit him in the same move. And the starting spot does not count. But is there some other rules too?

Edit: I think I found out: If another survivor stands in one of the spots the move goes through, then that spot will not count for the "two spaces where the walker can hit him".
    I am collecting badge crafting results. If you want to contribute please note down as much about each crafting as you can in the sequence you craft and send it to me. Recipe, effect and bonus condition is especially interesting.
    Discord server to discuss badge crafting: https://discord.gg/PvWYqaQ
    edited October 17
    I thought 'move by' was 'entering an adjacent square then exiting an adjacent square (same or another)'. Where does the 'two space' come from, except coincidentally?
    Put another way, if I move through square X below, moving at the angle shown by the \ lines, won't it trigger move by (for Z or for HD)?
      □□□
    \ □Z□
    X□□
    \
    Here are a couple of screenshots which doesn't trigger attacks.
    I am collecting badge crafting results. If you want to contribute please note down as much about each crafting as you can in the sequence you craft and send it to me. Recipe, effect and bonus condition is especially interesting.
    BurmeliinisRenopwns
  • bladgierbladgier Member Posts: 1,996
    @magic on ss1 you'd need to move 1 grid lower to activate and on ss2 you'd need 1 more grid up for it to trigger.

It has to be 2 grids past the walker in a straight line. Move before that doesn't have to be straight.
    edited October 17
    I don't think you need to move in a straight line.
    I think the reason it does not trigger in the screenshot where Daryl moves three spaces straight up, is that it is not possible to attack or walk diagonally from the second grid and to the zombies place. There are a couple of places were it is not possible to attack or walk diagonally and this is probably one of these places.

Here is a screenshot of the same move but with an attack
    jimmorrison369
    edited October 17
    SO the two-squares bit DOES matter. Huh. I always kind of fly by the seat of my pants, trying various paths, turn by turn. But it would be nice to be able to actually set up a move by (if I could account for Z movement--for example, they are aggro already and so will be predictable).

I would think that there's a simple 'trigger' for it; otherwise the code would bog down play. @Fluxx, can you drop some knowledge about the code? Like, is there a counter that increments with each step in adjacent squares? I know that NG is reluctant to spill deep details about code... but this is basic gameplay, used by many. It shouldn't be obscure.

[For now, I guess we just set aside the 2-range weapons, which bung up the geometry even further!]
    I have found no difference between one-range-weapons and 2-range-weapons, at least the musket.

I think the rule is: "Move through two spaces where the walker can hit the survivor. The starting spot and the ending spot does not count.

If anyone has a screenshot which does not follow this rule, please post it!

You can actually get three attacks in one turn this way, two walk-by-attacks, and then one final attack in the second move if you are really lucky with the positioning. And if you have swift strike on the weapon, or Michonne, you might get a fourth attack too I guess.
    Burmeliinisjimmorrison369Renopwns