Question: Damage? If so, why?

DaleDale Member Posts: 1,122
I replicated it.
Those two red dots under Alex's name . . . What do they indicate? I thought they were about damage but he hasn't moved and no walker has touched him. He just fired his weapon. Was he injured by the recoil? What am I missing?

Comments

• VerbaubVerbaub Member Posts: 650
    that is the charge ability - if Alex kills 3 walkers, he gets a super powerful shot.
    each survivor class has their own charge ability;
    Warrior = free attack
    Shooter = extra shot
    Hunter = powerful shot
    Scout = powerful stab
    Bruiser = AoE attack - can potentially hit up to 8 walkers around him
    Assault = stun added to his shot
    DaleSabrina
  • DaleDale Member Posts: 1,122
    ah! That's showing the steps to the charge ability? Why is it in red? Red is bad. Charge ability is good.

Obviously, I still have a lot to learn. duh.

btw, that's why I still like my bruisers. Their smash charge ability is great. Of course, I have no assaults or warriors yet. Apparently they make the bruisers look lame. I'll see when I get there.

Thanks!
  • masmith93masmith93 Member Posts: 3,512
    @dale damage is shown via the green bar under the survivor's name as they move around the board.
    Proud member of the Empty Memorial Club.
    WHMGTYSNNBC - Retirement Guild Leader
    Coming soon to Finland to hug Teeceezy.
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • Camel56Camel56 Member Posts: 524
    When your character has killed enough walkers, their charge ability will be unlocked until you use it. Once used, he needs to kill more walkers to recharge his ability. To use the characters ability, just tap on the characters ability button on the box on the character icons. You will see a moving globe like thing on that character to let you know it's been selected. You can de-select it if you change your mind.
  • blynknzblynknz Member Posts: 1,988
    The problem with bruisers is getting their charge ability. Because they stun rather than kill, it takes longer.
    Thats the same with the assault class
    Camel56
    That's right! Hard to charge them up if they don't kill any walkers/enemy. With a bruiser, if you hit them while they're stunned, most times it kills them. Best to hit them again if possible.
  • JAGJAG Member Posts: 291
    Dale said:

ah! That's showing the steps to the charge ability? Why is it in red? Red is bad. Charge ability is good.

With you on that one @Dale. Not a big issue though, I would expect most to figure this out eventually since the charge icon is there close by. There's also a scull (in red blood IIRC, but that's also a good sign) briefly showing where the charging death happened in the mission area. I've never figured out why anyone would need that, but if you don't see them it may be a hint that you've charged up already (or need a bigger screen).
  • eetueetu Member Posts: 637
    JAG said:

There's also a scull (in red blood IIRC, but that's also a good sign) briefly showing where the charging death happened in the mission area. I've never figured out why anyone would need that [..]

The point is to try and subtly guide the player into understanding the red dots. (The technical term for them in Finnish is pylpyrä)
    If a red dot is added whenever one gets a red skull from a kill, that should make it easier to make the connection. Sounds like maybe something a bit more direct is needed, we do have some ideas.
    Matt
    I suspect I'm missing a lot of the subtleties. I was playing for a while before I noticed the green/red bar near the survivor's name. Part of that is simply because my eyes are not that great. Some of this stuff is in (what amounts to) 3 point font.
    @eetu perhaps little skulls that get x'd out when you kill something. Sort of what The military might paint on planes...
  • DreadDread Member Posts: 450
    @eetu
    making the skull have an animation that makes it "fly" over to the charge meter and fill the next dot might be a good way of making it obvious that the kill is charging your skills

similar to how you have exp fly up to the exp bar.
    As I witness the death of innocence... A predator feeding on its creation.
    Through the fallout of this hallucination, I walked into darkness.
    I must not surrender my god to anyone, or this body will become carrion.
    One step closer to my fate. One step closer to my grave.
    masmith93 said:

@dale damage is shown via the green bar under the survivor's name as they move around the board.

Thank you. I eventually got that. I honestly did not see it at first. Problem is, if I zoom in enough to see the bar, I can't see much of the playing field. If it was up to me, the bar would be on the left, with the other info about the person.

Dread said:

@eetu
    making the skull have an animation that makes it "fly" over to the charge meter and fill the next dot might be a good way of making it obvious that the kill is charging your skills

similar to how you have exp fly up to the exp bar.

Yepp, that was _exactly_ what we had in mind :)
  • max_imummax_imum Member Posts: 19
    edited February 2016
    Verbaub said:

that is the charge ability - if Alex kills 3 walkers, he gets a super powerful shot.

...aah, . i have been wondering about those dots as well :wink:
    -its only the amount of kills that matter for charging the charge, right? -not the amount of damage that lead to the kill.
  • JAGJAG Member Posts: 291
    max_imum said:

Verbaub said:

...aah, . i have been wondering about those dots as well :wink:
    -its only the amount of kills that matter for charging the charge, right? -not the amount of damage that lead to the kill.
    @max_imum, If the game subtly guided you to believe that it's only number of kills, not amount of damage, that charge the special ability I'd say it did the same to me. Then again, it helps reading those load screen texts telling you all about it.
    eetu said:

Yepp, that was _exactly_ what we had in mind :)

I thought the sculls were overdoing it already. I'm not that fond of more clutter to the fight scene, the camp screen is an entirely different story. We don't get/need XP coins flying during battle, do we? Not charge sculls either, I'd say. But that's just an advice @eetu. I also think that if a handful of players have been able to get far into the game without understanding this exactly, it's not a problem. If people quit, that might be sad, but more likely for other reasons.
    JAG said:

I thought the sculls were overdoing it already. I'm not that fond of more clutter to the fight scene, the camp screen is an entirely different story. We don't get/need XP coins flying during battle, do we? Not charge sculls either, I'd say. But that's just an advice @eetu. I also think that if a handful of players have been able to get far into the game without understanding this exactly, it's not a problem. If people quit, that might be sad, but more likely for other reasons.

Some people have played for an inordinately long time without finding even the charge abilities, and this might also help them. I dislike clutter as well, so I was thinking maybe only show these until the player has used a charge ability 3 times or somesuch. Anyway, this is still floating in the design space, not on top of the pile to be implemented.
    @eetu that was me! I don't know how much time I spent in the hospital before I discovered how to use the charge ability. It might have been nice, that a new player has to go through a training mission that teaches him to use a charge ability. Daryl could teach them in the beginning. Regardless, I figured it out, and moved on.
This discussion has been closed.