[Community Contest] Discussion

FluxxxFluxxx Community Manager Posts: 1,039

The Dream Challenge Community Contest

You can discuss or ask questions about the contest, submissions, or anything related here :)

Submissions: https://forums.nextgames.com/walkingdead/discussion/42765/community-contest-submissions/
zbotCarlyDeathwish19Katz_Killers18sxlxzxrArtminiuscapibaraLoganicTroublemakerDarrishJordanYuki

Comments

• ATLAS-ZATLAS-Z Member Posts: 4,670
    I think this is a brilliant idea but I think you should have second and third runner-up and consider making those sets as well!

Are you Lost? Alone? Looking for a killer team to have your back?
    Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
    Remember, search ZOMBREX SATISFIES. Check us out HERE
    EMAIL US --> [email protected]"
    TWDaddictionDeathwish19Katz_Killers18kozak76
  • CarlyCarly Member Posts: 2,684
    Can all entries get a forums badge? :smiley:
    Leader of Badger Hounds
    Having candy for breakfast!
    100% FTP
    MyYouTubeChannel
    Deathwish19Katz_Killers18GovernatorSPC_TORRES
  • HebertHebert Member Posts: 2
    Faz uma sequência do cdc e inclui o personagem rarchel
    Deathwish19d_irra
  • capibaracapibara Member Posts: 6,487
    But the submission has to be 1 map or a set of 6? I think there should be 6 maps awards to have a Community Map Challenge
    "Always be yourself unless you can be a capybara. Then always be a capybara".
    --> Do you need a guild? ...send me a Private Message. My Recruiting den and my "Art Objects" in the Next Games Collection.
    d_irra
  • JayZJayZ Member Posts: 3,646
    ATLAS-Z said:

I think this is a brilliant idea but I think you should have second and third runner-up and consider making those sets as well!

I think there are actually going to be 5 possible winners. From the official announcement: "In the end, we will select the 5 winning submissions but you can still react to other people's submissions as it may influence our choices.."
  • sxlxzxrsxlxzxr Member Posts: 1
    Are the template's grid dimensions set in stone? Or can we add even more room or can we alter the shape to make it more squarelike, etc.?
  • FluxxxFluxxx Community Manager Posts: 1,039
    Yes, there can be 5 possible winners. You can submit 1 or 5 (or anything in between), just submit them in separate comments :)
    sxlxzxrLoganic
  • JayZJayZ Member Posts: 3,646
    edited March 2020
    Also, this is a super cool idea! I originally thought this was going to be a situation where we picked six existing challenge maps and compiled them into a full set. I was ready to come in here with my custom challenge set, which I call the Nightmare Community Challenge.

Featuring...
    1. The Loading Bay
    2. Nightly Visitors
    3. BBQ
    4. Point of Entry
    5. Kill Room
    6. and last, but not least... the old school version of Road Runner

With the buff for the week being: 50% damage bonus for Bruisers.
    sxlxzxrjimmorrison369WellyLugaShadowWalker
  • GovernatorGovernator Member Posts: 4,253
    I plan to include Stu and Angie's Baby. :lol:
    And yes @Carly, all participants shall be badged :)
    sxlxzxrCarly
  • ArtminiusArtminius Member Posts: 497
    @Fluxxx , some clarifying questions:
    1. (Per sxlxzxr) Are the map dimensions restricted to the sizes shown in the templates?
    2. (Per capibara) Each submission is one map design?
    3. May we introduce new art and functionality; or may we only use existing assets, object behaviors, and entities (walkers, random ally and enemy survivors, heroes)?
    4. May we use any existing mission objectives (find the loot, open the gate[s], kill all, get to exit, a combination)?

[More to come, perhaps, as I think and as you respond....]

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy to see this come to fruition, dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love::love::love::love::love::love::love:
    sxlxzxr
  • capibaracapibara Member Posts: 6,487
    Artminius said:

1. (Per sxlxzxr) Are the map dimensions restricted to the sizes shown in the templates?
    3. May we introduce new art and functionality; or may we only use existing assets, object behaviors, and entities (walkers, random ally and enemy survivors, heroes)?
    4. May we use any existing mission objectives (find the loot, open the gate[s], kill all, get to exit, a combination)?

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy to see this come to fruition, dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

...well i suggested that we all are going to contribute with maps and they will chose 6 so we have a new mapset...
    "Always be yourself unless you can be a capybara. Then always be a capybara".
    --> Do you need a guild? ...send me a Private Message. My Recruiting den and my "Art Objects" in the Next Games Collection.
    capibara said:

But the submission has to be 1 map or a set of 6? I think there should be 6 maps awards to have a Community Map Challenge

I read that as a question tantamount to "Do you want 1 map or a set 6 maps, per submission?" I am fairly sure the answer is "1".

RE the 6 winners becoming a new Challenge map set? Seems logical. Orthogonal to the stipulation of
    or request by NG for individual map submissions (about which I am asking), but logical.

I might make more than one. I will submit them 1 by 1. :wink:
    edited March 2020
    Artminius said:

1. While following them will make it easier for us to put it into the game, they don't necessarily have to be exact in your submission. Of course, even winning submissions may have to be somewhat altered by our level designer to fit game specifications, but overall if you have something out of the box (literally) cooked up, go for it!
    2. Yep
    3. You can be innovative. As in 1. if it's not doable, we might alter it somehow, but if it works - who knows 😉
    4. Yep

I'm very excited to see the submissions!

sxlxzxrcapibara
  • LoganicLoganic Member Posts: 4
    How do I use the templates?
    Loganic said:

How do I use the templates?

Save the to your device. Draw on it using an art program. Or just use Google Draw, like I have been doing (add guides to every line of the grid).
    Loganic
  • TJCartTJCart Member Posts: 412
    Fluxxx said:

Artminius said:

1. While following them will make it easier for us to put it into the game, they don't necessarily have to be exact in your submission. Of course, even winning submissions may have to be somewhat altered by our level designer to fit game specifications, but overall if you have something out of the box (literally) cooked up, go for it!
    @Fluxxx While you said it doesn't have to be exact and we are free to create as we desire, all the templates are 7 vertical spaces with a range of horizontal spaces between 14-20. Without trying to scan all the existing maps for exact counts, it seems to me that there has been larger vertical space maps already created by NG. In order to best fit within the established confines of the level design, can you be a little more specific about the MAX vertical limit? I would like to make levels that require as little alteration by your level designers as possible :) Or is the limit more akin to total square dimensions, e.g. over 150 squares creates too large of a map file size or something.

Any further insight you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    sxlxzxrFirekid
    @TJCart great question and observation :) I checked in with our LD, the sizes do vary, but lately we've been trying to make them more comparable by sticking to 14-20 as the max. One very important factor is playtime - bigger maps result in longer play times which might not always be ideal for the Challenge since players have to replay them often.
    On bigger maps, one good way to go about this is to start survivors somewhere in the middle. Just keep an eye on things like: how many objectives there are; how many turns it takes for the player to reach the exit, how many turns have to be used on fighting walkers. Basically, you can make bigger maps, but do keep the playtime in mind.

Hope this answers your question.
    TJCartWahooDawg
  • WahooDawgWahooDawg Member Posts: 471
    Is there any way to go up/down? I’d love to see an elevator mission from the hospital.
    ShadowWalker
  • TJCartTJCart Member Posts: 412
    > @WahooDawg said:
    > Is there any way to go up/down? I’d love to see an elevator mission from the hospital.

Actually, I think that would be very possible now. As evidenced by the Michonne season mission that loads a new area graphic on a door opening. In your case, they’d have to figure out a trigger to get all the survivors in a 4 square block “elevator” before a “button” became available to change the background to another “floor.” In this case, the “button” could simply be the same or similar coding to opening a door. I’m just not sure how the zombie/enemy spawn works out with changing areas, but NG has some bright folks working for them. I’m sure they’d figure it out.
    WahooDawgShadowWalker
  • CohenandCalebCohenandCaleb Member Posts: 3
    I really think you should add Enid to the game. She is a really important character and a main one so please add her
  • TraumaTinkTraumaTink Member Posts: 1
    I think the setting where Alpha had the cave with her hoard and all the walkers would be cool.
    ShadowWalker
  • ShadowWalkerShadowWalker Member Posts: 743
    I know it says that NG will pick 5 more, but I think it would be cool if NG picks 4 and then leaves the final spot open for the community to vote on. Maybe NG picks 3 finalist for the final spot? The 2 runner ups can also get a smaller prize than the 6 finalists. Just a thought.
    Verdao19143vilrine
  • JulioC3zarJulioC3zar Member Posts: 1
    Gostaria de ver o Sheyne como personagem
  • DayWalk3rDayWalk3r Member Posts: 2
    Ok where do I get these maps at??like what do I use my phone?
  • DayWalk3rDayWalk3r Member Posts: 2
    What program do I use????
  • hoomanhooman Member Posts: 1
    Its great.thanks
  • JimiFaithJimiFaith Member Posts: 785
    I just wish they brought back the Black Forest...
  • Verdao1914Verdao1914 Member Posts: 65
    edited April 2020
    @Fluxxx
    Is it too late to suggest an exclusive item for the winners? Maybe personalized items from Next Games like jackets and caps for example!
    ;) B)