Noob Needs Badge Cycle Help: Data for 7 combines... Where am I?

Hi,

I have been having trouble getting my badge combines to follow the cycle progression listed in the @JayZ guide (sticky top of this forum). The guide seems very clear and I feel like I understand it, yet I can't seem to get it to work.

Can some of you badge-pros please take a look at this data for my last 7 combines and see if you can tell me where I am in the cycle(s)? Or, if there is something I'm doing wrong maybe you can spot my error?

Thanks in advance for helping me understand this.

-Virt

Best Answer

• VirtualSwayyVirtualSwayy Member Posts: 58
    edited April 2020 Accepted Answer
    OMFG THIS----->
    ATLAS-Z said:

This Discord link!!!! Answer Accepted! (see below for specific answer)

@ Any New(ish) player that needs to learn about badge crafting... 10/10. Highly recommend. That link truly was the answer to my question, plus a bazillion, times a gajillion, squared. Grady and some others that helped me out on the discord are freakin' mad scientists of NML. They got this game on lock and are not afraid to help out a noob. BUT... you should still start by reading JayZ's badge crafting guide (sticky at the top of this forum) as a great primer bf you dive deep into Discord resources.

THE SPECIFIC ANSWER that the Discord NML professors helped me diagnose:
    @ AnyoneNerdyEnoughToCare LOL....

- It is possible to start your test combines while in the "transitional progression" (or whatever you want to call the combines that you do while you swap between cycles). If you start your testing,and happen to be already in that transition, it is very hard to believe that the cycles are actually correct, because you won't see them in the length of time the sticky post guide indicates is sufficient for testing (because your initial test combines won't be on the cycle). For me this was a fairly lengthy string of combines (well over 10), that didn't appear on any cycle. The random seeming combines actually ended with the first combine of the data set I posted with the question (see combine 1 above & below). However, if you keep going (have faith and power through those transitional combines), and keep recording combines (and/or get a Discord Professor to 'splain it to you, like I did), then you will see what I ended up seeing {in combines 2-7 below}, and I can promise you is true...

it does work, and it is correct, and my noob self now has a shiny new DR badge to prove it :)(see combine 9 below)

UPDATED SPREADSHEET/EXPLAINATION:

[EDIT: this issue is more common than I thought when I originally wrote this}
    THIS WON'T HAPPEN TO MOST PEOPLE... If the #2 combine above had been my first EVER test combine. I would quickly have believed in cycles, but... After powering through several previous test runs (2 attempts of about 5-6 badges each), that unbeknownst to me were transition combines which appear nowhere on the cycle(s), I was skeptical. If this happens to you... KEEP THE FAITH! Power through it, badge cycles are real!

THE END.

Except for....

EXTRA CREDIT... FOR THOSE TRUE THEORY-CRAFTING NERDS STILL READING THIS...
    [Edit2: The answer to the extra credit became obvious to me after learning more. There are many more jumps/transitions than the two the sticky guide teaches you about(which are the two that are fully mapped. I was simply on one of the un-mapped jumps.]
    I still need to dig deeper into the treasure trove of info on Discord to fully understand the mechanics of my initial test combine results & how I arrived where I did, back on track on cycle [email protected], but just for the lulz of it, here is one thing I can't yet explain.....Given what the @JayZ guide says about the "transitional progression" (or whatever the correct term is), is this:
    4. There will be some weird results that don't follow the patterns in the chart. However, eventually, you should be on the other badge cycle. You should end up at badge #11 or badge #31 in the 6 DR badge cycle (depending on if you transition at badge #1 or badge #20).
    So about 10 transitional combines... granted that is going FROM 1 (and I went FROM 2), but if (if?) the transition is the same bi-directionally (I'm guessing they are not?), shouldn't I have re-entered at 1.8 (10 combines from the "special recipe") instead of 1.5 (where I actually re-entered)? Because I reentered only 6 away from the nearest departure point on cycle 2, then if the transition SHOULD BE shorter (LESS transitional combines), but I experienced more than 10 (those combines were pre-awesome-spreadsheet, so I don't remember precisely, but I know it was at least 12+)? And I was following the jayZ guide so I know none of those 12 used the special recipe unknowingly (I was following the guide's "one each" recipe, so the transition had to start before those 12 combines, back before I found and read the guide, when I was initially just doing random things 'n stuff n' whatnot).
    So, does anyone nerdy enough to still be reading this (if that person exists lol), and knowledgeable enough to be knee deep in badge theory (I know those people do exist lol), wanna take a stab at it? 'splain how my 6DR to 1DR transition worked so that I landed on 1.5 with (probably more than, but definitely at least, and probably close to around 12 transitional combines?
    If you can 'splain it, I'm definitely a big enough nerd to want to read it lol.

@Grady and @sicron Thanks for droppin' huge knowledge bombs on me, and for your work helping to make and share a freakin' library of NML badge crafting info that I (or anyone) can consult.

@ATLAS-Z Thanks for getting me where I needed to be.

@Steeboon I wanted to tag you so you would get the link on the off chance you don't already have it. You answered my other post's question by saying the JayZ sticky post badge guide was still correct, which it does seem to be. However, the info on this discord (see the pinned posts on top of badge channel) is basically a master class on badge crafting, more in-depth and refined over a longer time frame than the accurate, but more introductory overview you get in the forum sticky. Also, it's a master class with a ton of friendly professors who will gladly break It down for you and help you troubleshoot. So in case you don't already have it... Check it out...
    TJCart

Answers

• ATLAS-ZATLAS-Z Member Posts: 4,661
    Hit the link to join Discord. Magic will get you straight.

Are you Lost? Alone? Looking for a killer team to have your back?
    Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
    Remember, search ZOMBREX SATISFIES. Check us out HERE
    EMAIL US --> [email protected]"
  • ATLAS-ZATLAS-Z Member Posts: 4,661

Are you Lost? Alone? Looking for a killer team to have your back?
    Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
    Remember, search ZOMBREX SATISFIES. Check us out HERE
    EMAIL US --> [email protected]"
    edited March 2020
    Thanks @ATLAS-Z , I'll repost this there.

[Edit: ok its posted in the badges channel. Thanks in advance to anyone who can take a look there or here.]
  • FuzzyOzzyFuzzyOzzy Member Posts: 10
    Just to let you know, I failed tree times. Now I am on the good cycle.
    Why?, I can’t say, it could be an human error, but I doubt it.
    During my attempts I had to make more then 10 badges before I could find a pattern.
    romeo
  • BurmeliinisBurmeliinis Member Posts: 818
    Yes, that's normal.
    Ingame username: Jubjab
    romeo
    @Jayz Hey man just wanted to tag you here so you can see the posts from @FuzzyOzzy and @Burmeliinis above. They both indicate the issue I had with starting "off-cycle" may be relatively common for new crafters, Burmel goes so far as to call it "normal". Might be worth adding a brief line in the guide about it.

I know you're busy so feel free to cut/paste anything I've written on this issue (no acknowledgment/credit necessary). Or..

If you want to add a "Troubleshooting" link so it doesn't take up space in the guide feel free to link to the write ups I made. Either...

The Answer to this posted question:
    https://forums.nextgames.com/walkingdead/discussion/comment/404824/#Comment_404824
    OR...
    The comment to your guide describing the issue: https://forums.nextgames.com/walkingdead/discussion/comment/404829/#Comment_404829

• magicmagic Member Posts: 197

OMFG THIS----->

So about 10 transitional combines... granted that is going FROM 1 (and I went FROM 2), but if (if?) the transition is the same bi-directionally (I'm guessing they are not?), shouldn't I have re-entered at 1.8 (10 combines from the "special recipe") instead of 1.5 (where I actually re-entered)? Because I reentered only 6 away from the nearest departure point on cycle 2, then if the transition SHOULD BE shorter (LESS transitional combines), but I experienced more than 10 (those combines were pre-awesome-spreadsheet, so I don't remember precisely, but I know it was at least 12+)? And I was following the jayZ guide so I know none of those 12 used the special recipe unknowingly (I was following the guide's "one each" recipe, so the transition had to start before those 12 combines, back before I found and read the guide, when I was initially just doing random things 'n stuff n' whatnot).
    So, does anyone nerdy enough to still be reading this (if that person exists lol), and knowledgeable enough to be knee deep in badge theory (I know those people do exist lol), wanna take a stab at it? 'splain how my 6DR to 1DR transition worked so that I landed on 1.5 with (probably more than, but definitely at least, and probably close to around 12 transitional combines?
    If you can 'splain it, I'm definitely a big enough nerd to want to read it lol.

Just a quick question. Are you sure that the four different components you used when crafting before you started logging results, had the same rarity?
    A theory is that using components of different rarity might trigger a transition.
    I am collecting badge crafting results. If you want to contribute please note down as much about each crafting as you can in the sequence you craft and send it to me. Recipe, effect and bonus condition is especially interesting.
    Discord server to discuss badge crafting: https://discord.gg/PvWYqaQ
    edited April 2020
    Hi magic,
    magic said:

Are you sure that the four different components you used when crafting before you started logging results, had the same rarity?
    A theory is that using components of different rarity might trigger a transition.

TLDR:
    Initially. I for sure did mix tiers, and mixed everything (full on rando), but the crafting results I discuss in
    these posts do not refer to anything that far back (posts ignore periods 1-3). These posts are written as if my crafting life
    begins with my 18-ish "test badges", which I am positive DID NOT tier mix. (18 tests =10{period 4} plus 1-7{current period})

I know you guys are down with details, so...

Below is the complete 411...

Literally everything I can tell you.

--------------------------------- 4 periods of crafting before i found you guys and got on track -------------------------------

Period 1: (20+ badges/mixed everything/did not record)
    - Naive Noob Phase: This was complete rando-crafting; no clue it could be predicted and never read guide

Period 2: (10-ish badges/mixed tier one of each recipe/recorded result sloppily
    - Informed Noob phase: Gave cycles a quick first try but didn't get a match so I gave up. recorded outcomes on paper; main effect only no rigorous permanent spreadsheet record yet; in addition to tier mixing I used other recipes in group 9 here)

Period 3: (10-ish badges/mixed everything/did not record)
    - Angry Noob Phase: Thought cycles were BS or out of date. Gave up and went full on rando-craft again.

----------------- Always one of each, tier consistent, crafting below this line; my posts do not reference any badges above --------------

Period 4: (10ish badges/same tier one of each/temporarily recorded results
    - Noob Gets Serious Phase: reread guide & decided to give it a serious try; recorded full outcome rigorously for analysis, but temporarily; no permanent spreadsheet record yet)

---------------------- Below this line permanent Spreadsheet record begins; defines the "current" crafting period -----------------------

CURRENT CRAFTING PERIOD: (45 badges/same tier one of each/rigorously recorded in permanent spreadsheet)
    - It's Gold, baby, Gold! Phase:
    - Row #1: The first row in the spreadsheet, the badge did not match a cycle. The spreadsheet begins at literally, the end of the beginning, and records my very last non match.After that all 44 badges to present match a cycle.
    - Rows #2 - #7: Badges recorded in row 2 through 7 of spreadsheet matched Map A. Although I wasn't convinced yet, so posted these in discord. Grady helped me confirm: Row 2 recorded my re-entry to map A (crafting A5)
    - Row #8 to Present: I began predicting the outcome badge at Row 8. Every badge since has been the expected outcome. I next-ed down A to the A20>H22 jump; next-ed down H to the H30>B31 jump; Next-ed down to B38 and around again next-ing to my current position at B10.

I can link you the spreadsheet on Discord if you want. It is an absolutely complete record of ALL crafting done in the current period.

Sadly, I think the info you want is a record of my crafting in periods 1-3, which I have no permanent record of.

Hope that helps,

- Virt
    edited April 2020
    @magic A separate post above answers your question, but ...

I have now learned enough to venture my own guess, After talking it over with @Grady, I have a theory explaining my A-5 re-entry, and my off-cycle results prior to re-entry (during periods 1-3; periods described in above post). This may not be what actually happened, but I believe it could happen. And frankly, I don't have any other plausible explanations.You guys could potentially confirmed this if you have time to look in your top secret exploratory non-ABH maps for a specific badge/position... The existence of a cd#/Hero/Even that has a next to A5 would confirm my theory.

-------------------------------- MY THEORY ------------------------------

1) I randomly used a non-group 9 recipe somewhere that jumped to a non-ABH map (during period 1-3)
    or... 1.5) {Your theory} In period 2 I tier mixed and jumped to non-ABH map

2) I continued nexting along through an uncharted non-ABH map (or Grady only charted lol)
    and possibly... 2.5) Took one more more additional jumps because either...
    2.5.a recipes were full on rando - and i hit another jump where I used non group 9)
    or... 2.5.b I crafted at one of many positions where the next IS a jump

NO RECORD OF THE RANDOM FOOLISHNESS ABOVE... UNTIL...

3) I began using strictly one of each test, ensuring no jumps

So at some point...

4) I finally crafted a badge at a position where the next IS a jump to A05
    - The Badge that has a next to A05 is a (cd#/Hero/Even) as recorded in row 1 of my spreadsheet)

• GradyGrady Member Posts: 149
    E04 is CD#, Hero, Even with Next: A05 and Jump To: D05
    edited April 2020

The existence of a cd#/Hero/Even that has a next to A5 would confirm my theory.

Grady said:

E04 is CD#, Hero, Even with Next: A05 and Jump To: D05

OMG @Grady All the extra credits R Belong to U!

@magic @JayZ @ATLAS-Z I am rather amazed at the certainty and finality of the hyper-specific explanation we have arrived at for why my initial locater crafts couldn't place me on 1DR or 6DR, and I re-entered 1DR at a seemingly random spot. I was cruising around in E lol...

I appreciate all your help with this, especially for turning it from a problem into a learning platform for gaining a FAR deeper understanding of crafting than I could've imagined a few weeks ago.

Thanks!