Armor and survivor levels - upgrade how often ??

ShaxShax Member Posts: 43
I'm level 64 with 31 survivors, almost only heros.
I feel totally overwhelmed with all the things, armor/weapons and survivor levels, that need upgrading or should be upgraded.

how do advanced players manage?

exampel: only a few of my survivors have the highest level possible. the others are more than 5 levels lower. so I started training the weak ones. because I played a lot I had lots of XP. and I have a lot of unused 5 star armor/weapons. so I upgraded the armor/weapon of that player. but then I got better armor/weapon or I got more XP and decided to train him more. so I gave the player the better armor/weapon, but needed to upgrade that one too... and this is only for one player.

with every training there is better armor/weapon (that I actually have) that needs upgrading. but this armor/weapon gets too weak a few levels up...I can't really do much with a level 17 player with mediocre weapon and bad armor. but I can't upgrade armor and weapons each 3 times for 30 players either! seems like an endless task.

any advice from those who have been playing longer than me?

Comments

• GradyGrady Member Posts: 133
    edited May 18
    Do:
    - Focus on one team of heroes and their weapons first, then their armors later. Use that team to scavenge for supplies.
    - Spend exp by priority order: Heroes in your star team > weapons for your star team > armor for your star team > reserve heroes > other heroes >>> survivors and equipment.
    - For scavenging, heroes like Governor, Maggie, Glenn are quite useful. A team of 3 hunters/assaults is pretty fast too.
    - So you only need to train 3~5 heroes and 3 sets of gear, NOT 30 heroes/survivors and certainly not 30 sets of gear.
    - The goal is to scavenge fast and without injury so as to avoid hospital time. I would badge them with damage and DR%(or health) badges.
    - Have enough damage to kill a regular walker even when you bodyshot is very helpful.
    - Look for gear traits that help you with farming supplies and exp while minimizing hospital time. Traits like WideSpread/LargeCaliber/Lethal are the most useful. Traits like Incendiary/Piercing/Ruthless are great for the endgame but do nothing for you while farming.

Don't:
    - Don't worry too much about story missions, the distance, challenge stars. I would stop at the difficulty where my team start getting heavily injured. You can always come back to them later when you are at higher level and better prepared.
    - Don't waste exp on survivors or heroes you are not yet using. Your main focus should be on increasing the speed at which you can gain exp. This speed is dependent on your strongest team. Not your mid-tier team and certainly not your weakest heroes/survivors.
    - Don't level any gear that are not for your main team. You would just be wasting exp.
    - Don't unlock heroes you currently have no use for. They automatically get upgraded to the highest level accessible when first unlocked.
    - Some heroes are very strong and great for high RSL challenges. However you don't really need them yet. Don't unlock them yet if you have the patience. The same applies for heroes which need to have traits rerolled to be useful and you don't have enough reroll tokens. (e.g. Eugene).
    - Don't upgrade any heroes with Pink Stars if you haven't already. It is OK to keep stocking hero tokens. The hero/survivor with the most pink star will increase your scavenge mission difficulty and therefore risk of injury. You do gain more exp/supply from higher difficulty missions but the extra risk is not worthwhile yet.
    - Don't grind for gear and exp, supplies before anything else.

The advice above are from an efficiency perspective. Most people go crazy grinding for supplies after a while. It's totally fine to play the other modes as long as you have fun.
    Shaxm0rc
  • ShaxShax Member Posts: 43
    > @Grady said:
    > Do:
    > - Focus on one team of heroes and their weapons first, then their armors later. Use that team to scavenge for supplies.
    βœ“ckeck

> - Spend exp by priority order: Heroes in your star team > weapons for your star team > armor for your star team > reserve heroes > other heroes >>> survivors and equipment.
    ---ok, I'll go back to that. I did that before but later I thought that my team would be better in GW if all my player are upgraded (actually, I have no idea how the battles are chosen for the enemies)

> - For scavenging, heroes like Governor, Maggie, Glenn are quite useful. A team of 3 hunters/assaults is pretty fast too.
    βœ“check

> - So you only need to train 3~5 heroes and 3 sets of gear, NOT 30 heroes/survivors and certainly not 30 sets of gear.
    ----yeah, got it πŸ˜…

> - The goal is to scavenge fast and without injury so as to avoid hospital time. I would badge them with damage and DR%(or health) badges.
    --- I have Tara - haven't seen the inside of a hospital for a long time πŸ˜‚
    Can I decide what badge I can craft specifically?? I thought it was random. Besides the rarity of course

> - Have enough damage to kill a regular walker even when you bodyshot is very helpful.
    βœ“check

> - Look for gear traits that help you with farming supplies and exp while minimizing hospital time. Traits like WideSpread/LargeCaliber/Lethal are the most useful. Traits like Incendiary/Piercing/Ruthless are great for the endgame but do nothing for you while farming.
    ---What do you mean with that? Farming supplies? You mean Gear and traits that give me more supplies like Maggi or ...whats his name...the guy with the knife....

> Don't:
    > - Don't worry too much about story missions, the distance, challenge stars. I would stop at the difficulty where my team start getting heavily injured. You can always come back to them later when you are at higher level and better prepared.
    βœ“check. thanks!!

> - Don't waste exp on survivors or heroes you are not yet using. Your main focus should be on increasing the speed at which you can gain exp. This speed is dependent on your strongest team. Not your mid-tier team and certainly not your weakest heroes/survivors.
    βœ“got it!

> - Don't level any gear that are not for your main team. You would just be wasting exp.
    ---yeah, I noticed

> - Don't unlock heroes you currently have no use for. They automatically get upgraded to the highest level accessible when first unlocked.
    ---unfortunately, I can't stop unlocking them because sometimes I really want to have the traits for one certain hero... 😣 In the end I get like 200traits for another one that I have no use for

> - Some heroes are very strong and great for high RSL challenges. However you don't really need them yet. Don't unlock them yet if you have the patience. The same applies for heroes which need to have traits rerolled to be useful and you don't have enough reroll tokens. (e.g. Eugene).
    --- too late for that πŸ™ˆ, whats RSL? what do you mean by the last comment? are some hero-traits in general more difficult than others?

> - Don't upgrade any heroes with Pink Stars if you haven't already. It is OK to keep stocking hero tokens. The hero/survivor with the most pink star will increase your scavenge mission difficulty and therefore risk of injury. You do gain more exp/supply from higher difficulty missions but the extra risk is not worthwhile yet.
    ---thanks!! again: got Tara, empty hospital 😁

> - Don't grind for gear and exp, supplies before anything else.
    βœ“ ok, so tomatos first. got it πŸ‘πŸΌ
    > The advice above are from an efficiency perspective. Most people go crazy grinding for supplies after a while. It's totally fine to play the other modes as long as you have fun.
    ---NML gets kinda repetitive after some time. scavenges, challenges, even outpost raids do start to feel the same after some time...

Last comment (that should go first): WOW this is some nice advice. I think I'll need to print it out and put it aside my phone next time I'll play πŸ˜…. thanks a lot
    Shax said:

@Grady said:
    Do:
    ---ok, I'll go back to that. I did that before but later I thought that my team would be better in GW if all my player are upgraded (actually, I have no idea how the battles are chosen for the enemies)

Enemy guild will encounter your strongest team and equipment. Typically that means the heroes with the highest number of pink stars or damage.
    Shax said:

- The goal is to scavenge fast and without injury so as to avoid hospital time. I would badge them with damage and DR%(or health) badges.
    --- I have Tara - haven't seen the inside of a hospital for a long time πŸ˜‚
    Can I decide what badge I can craft specifically?? I thought it was random. Besides the rarity of course

While Tara's LT is great, you are slowing yourself down by using shooters for scavenging. Not counting some special weapons, Shooters can only attack single targets.

Ideally with proper equipment and traits, your hunters and assaults can take at least 2 hits without any hospital time. If they have Retaliate or Revenge, the walkers get cleared even faster.

Check out Jayz's guide for beginner badging and crafting, it's definitely not all random:
    https://forums.nextgames.com/walkingdead/discussion/comment/395981/#Comment_395981

Magic's Discord server has the latest in depth research available: https://discord.gg/PvWYqaQ
    Shax said:

- Look for gear traits that help you with farming supplies and exp while minimizing hospital time. Traits like WideSpread/LargeCaliber/Lethal are the most useful. Traits like Incendiary/Piercing/Ruthless are great for the endgame but do nothing for you while farming.
    ---What do you mean with that? Farming supplies? You mean Gear and traits that give me more supplies like Maggi or ...whats his name...the guy with the knife....

You want to complete the tomato scavenge missions as fast as possible because you would need to do it like a million times. Traits like WideSpread and LargeCaliber let you hit more targets in one go.

Glenn's leader trait is very useful, it gives extra tomatoes depending on the exp gained during kills. However you should time yourself and test each team and evaluate which one is the most efficient.
    Shax said:

- Don't unlock heroes you currently have no use for. They automatically get upgraded to the highest level accessible when first unlocked.
    ---unfortunately, I can't stop unlocking them because sometimes I really want to have the traits for one certain hero... 😣 In the end I get like 200traits for another one that I have no use for

It's basically down to self-discipline and knowledge of the game. You can find plenty of videos on YouTube and see how each leader trait work, and discussion on these forums. You can even test them out directly in the episode missions.

Unlocking one hero now means spending another two weeks and 10~20m exp to level him up later.
    Shax said:

- Some heroes are very strong and great for high RSL challenges. However you don't really need them yet. Don't unlock them yet if you have the patience. The same applies for heroes which need to have traits rerolled to be useful and you don't have enough reroll tokens. (e.g. Eugene).
    --- too late for that πŸ™ˆ, whats RSL? what do you mean by the last comment? are some hero-traits in general more difficult than others?

RSL = Recommended Survivor Level. It is basically the same as walker level or difficulty level of the mission.
    No, I mean Eugene has the best leader trait but his other traits are no good at all. You need to reroll them to more useful traits (Retaliate/Punish/Dodge/Lucky) before he can perform well in combat. If you don't have the reroll token yet, or don't need a bruiser yet, don't unlock him. You need to bring a hero to 5 stars first before you can reroll his traits.

Shax
    @Grady thanks. This is very helpful πŸ™πŸΌ
  • 012_man012_man Member Posts: 32
    I would add a few comments about what you need on your A team until you are at end game

1) Your A team should consist of
    - Sascha
    - A Shooter
    - Assault or Bruiser depending on mission.

2) You will need 1 of each class at maximum level before unlocking a hero, and it helps enjoy/learn the game.
    Example: If your shooter is level 19 while your warrior is level 14 and you finally Michonne, she would be Level 14 and you want her at Level 19.

3) The Distance is the best/only place to get equipment.

4) Hero Tokens / Radios : Save Radio's for the 40 radio 2 or 3X hero token calls:

[Almost] always choose hero tokes over class tokens.
    Priority
    - Scout-Rick, Scout-Daryl, Sascha,
    - Other new heros/All Bruisers
    - Michonne/Jesus

Hero class tokens go
    - Shooter/Bruiser
    - Scout
    - Warrior / Hunter / Assault

Some exceptions could be 256 shooter or bruiser tokens vs 32 Glenn tokens.

5) Extra hero slots I would choose scouts, entirely for the distance.

Shax
    6) Save ALL of your reinforcement tokens for truly legendary items like the winter bow
  • ghost_pepperghost_pepper Member Posts: 185
    edited May 20
    My heros were lvl 19 at beginning of January and I'm now upgradung to 24. Others migjt donthis faster but I've been efficient with the time that i do have to play nml. Others have mentioned just about everything but here are a few extra specifics.

How i grind supplies
    -as long as there are extra bonus keys, run governor as leader with widespread gold, golden assault rifle if you have it. The stun is wonderful. I trigger more walkers for the next wave but do very little killing with him.
    -equip maggie hunter with spear gun. If you bought one for 1k gold the other month, you're set. It only takes 2 kills to have the special trigger. The special and regular shots can be taken on the same turn. You can generate more walkers for the next wave more easily this way.
    -glenn works really well with kingdom spear (again, on sale for 1k the other month). Especially as you get to later levels with walkers, glenn works best as a dmg work horse. Keep upgrading the kingdom spear. And because of how many runs you have to do with glenn, consider putting 50 reroll tokens into him and removing useless bullet dodge. Walkers don't shoot at you and I've been very very happy with power strike.

When there is unlimited gas, grind with governor leader as fast as possible. This is the fastest way to grind just supplies. The bonus for the repeated runs generates more supplies than glenn leader with maggie killing this way. Because of this, i badge governor with 3 dr and 3 health. Maggie and glenn are dmg dr and a health.

However, if you don't have x4 bonus keys and if you are grinding both supplies and xp in a multiplier, use glenn leader and do your killing with maggie. It's amazing to see what she can generate.

***so I started training the weak ones. because I played a lot I had lots of XP. and I have a lot of unused 5 star armor/weapons. so I upgraded the armor/weapon of that player. but then I got better armor/weapon or I got more XP and decided to train him more....***
    Grady was spot on with pick a group and stick with them. That's what i did and it works. I have Tara lead and morgan and rgg (bruiser glenn) for my challenges. It's a sacrifice, a trade off. I don't have usable gear for warriors AT ALL and if i want to run scout daryl i have to unequip scout glenn. My ranged is always a level behind, except for Tara since she is lead. My challenge scores aren't great but I'm developing quickly with levels. That's more important imo than developing the 6 or 8 or 10 heros everyone says i "have to have" just to make their stuff outdated in a few weeks with the next level.
    012_man said:

I would add a few comments about what you need on your A team until you are at end game

1) Your A team should consist of
    - Sascha
    - A Shooter
    - Assault or Bruiser depending on mission.

--- why sasha? what is more special about her than any other hunter/hero? I know her traits but I don't see exactly why it's so special

2) You will need 1 of each class at maximum level before unlocking a hero, and it helps enjoy/learn the game.
    Example: If your shooter is level 19 while your warrior is level 14 and you finally Michonne, she would be Level 14 and you want her at Level 19.
    βœ“ thanks

3) The Distance is the best/only place to get equipment.
    ---- I was wondering where the good equipment ist "hidden" ... I will keep that in mind, thanks!

4) Hero Tokens / Radios : Save Radio's for the 40 radio 2 or 3X hero token calls:

[Almost] always choose hero tokes over class tokens.
    ---βœ“check

Priority
    - Scout-Rick, Scout-Daryl, Sascha,
    - Other new heros/All Bruisers
    - Michonne/Jesus
    -
    --- thanks, unfortunately I don't do well with scouts. the have only one target and need to get very close to it. after killing it/trying to kill it, they're basically just baits waiting to struggle and turn all red πŸ˜…

Hero class tokens go
    - Shooter/Bruiser
    - Scout
    - Warrior / Hunter / Assault

Some exceptions could be 256 shooter or bruiser tokens vs 32 Glenn tokens.
    ---βœ“check

5) Extra hero slots I would choose scouts, entirely for the distance.
    ---OMG, for the distance? that's like a nightmare πŸ˜…πŸ˜… see comment above, the distance is full of walkers. or do you mean the distance they can walk?

thanks a lot!!
    012_man said:

6) Save ALL of your reinforcement tokens for truly legendary items like the winter bow

is it really truely legendary?? I have more than one winter bow. but some levels under my heros actual levels. that means I have to reinforce them one million times. or let's say - my level 18 winter bow would need a to be reinforced 3 times!! to reach the damage of lvl 25 that my level 21 player is carrying.

what is so special about the winter bow? It's treats look ordinary

My heros were lvl 19 at beginning of January and I'm now upgradung to 24. Others migjt donthis faster but I've been efficient with the time that i do have to play nml. Others have mentioned just about everything but here are a few extra specifics.

How i grind supplies

-as long as there are extra bonus keys, run governor as leader with widespread gold, golden assault rifle if you have it. The stun is wonderful. I trigger more walkers for the next wave but do very little killing with him.

--- βœ“ great, thanks!! I actually do have it and he is even carrying it πŸ˜… but I didn't notice him stunning walkers with it. I will check again

-equip maggie hunter with spear gun. If you bought one for 1k gold the other month, you're set. It only takes 2 kills to have the special trigger. The special and regular shots can be taken on the same turn. You can generate more walkers for the next wave more easily this way.

--- βœ“ I do have it!! I gave it my best shooter but then took it back. I think it's because it doesn't have the shooting distance like a gun and I needed/wanted to generate high level walkers and slowly kill them from a distance
    how can you buy things for 1k gold?? I don't see that option, what did I miss...??

-glenn works really well with kingdom spear (again, on sale for 1k the other month). Especially as you get to later levels with walkers, glenn works best as a dmg work horse. Keep upgrading the kingdom spear. And because of how many runs you have to do with glenn, consider putting 50 reroll tokens into him and removing useless bullet dodge. Walkers don't shoot at you and I've been very very happy with power strike.

---- what you know, that's why bullet dodge is seen useless by many players!! now it makes perfect sense πŸ˜…
    unfortunately, my best weapon is daryl's hunting knife (without daryl)
    but like I said in the other post - I don't do well with scouts, because I don't know how to get them away from threat once they're close to walkers
    what ist dmg work horse?

When there is unlimited gas, grind with governor leader as fast as possible. This is the fastest way to grind just supplies. The bonus for the repeated runs generates more supplies than glenn leader with maggie killing this way. Because of this, i badge governor with 3 dr and 3 health. Maggie and glenn are dmg dr and a health.
    ---βœ“ check, here again- really?!! repeated runs generate more supply bonus??
    dm and dr ??

However, if you don't have x4 bonus keys and if you are grinding both supplies and xp in a multiplier, use glenn leader and do your killing with maggie. It's amazing to see what she can generate.

----βœ“ckeck thanks!!

***so I started training the weak ones. because I played a lot I had lots of XP. and I have a lot of unused 5 star armor/weapons. so I upgraded the armor/weapon of that player. but then I got better armor/weapon or I got more XP and decided to train him more....***

Grady was spot on with pick a group and stick with them. That's what i did and it works. I have Tara lead and morgan and rgg (bruiser glenn) for my challenges. It's a sacrifice, a trade off. I don't have usable gear for warriors AT ALL and if i want to run scout daryl i have to unequip scout glenn. My ranged is always a level behind, except for Tara since she is lead. My challenge scores aren't great but I'm developing quickly with levels. That's more important imo than developing the 6 or 8 or 10 heros everyone says i "have to have" just to make their stuff outdated in a few weeks with the next level.

----OMG, I feel so stupid, never thought of unequip players!! this basically opens a whole new world!! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ˜…

yes sounds reasonable. and this takes the pressure of "I need to develop this hero because everyone says it's the best"

thank you again

edited May 23
    You will eventually need Sasha but charge points are not really relevant for grinding supplies.
    The same applies to all heroes and equipment with charge point related abilities.

If you don't play a lot, then Sasha becomes more important since a significant portion of your weekly supply income would come from the Distance. Sasha is quite important for several of the higher difficulty missions.

If you grind the scavenge missions a lot with unlimited gas then the Distance will represent only a small portion of your weekly supplies.

The winter bow is about threat control, again not relevant to grinding (and could even be counterproductive).

Unless you have deep pockets, you should not worry about using shop weapons or upgrading them with reinforcement tokens. Upgrading 3 levels is usually more expensive than buying a brand new one.
    Shax
    What Grady said, but with more information. Once I learned the Sascha trick (below) I was able to complete the distance.

The easiest ways to defeat the distance missions is to have Sascha as the leader, with a shooter (glass cannon config). My #3 in the distance would be a charged warrior which I would end up killing off but anything is fine.

So the strategy is simple, nothing hits sascha or your shooter, and your #3 is expendable. They grab him, you leave him behind.
    With your shooters charge attack you can take out several walkers for each guy you leave behind and thus move up higher.

Shax