Farming food

is it better to farm food exploration missions or deadly missions? I'm on episode 9 already if that makes a difference

Comments

• HeadhunterHeadhunter Member Posts: 199
    edited November 2015
    We've been having an argument about this in our guild recently. While the topic was on farming for experience points and not ketchup, I think this still applies.

From my personal observations, I think doing a specific item mission gets you more than a deadly one. The completion bonus at the end of the mission adds up over time giving you more experience points than just farming deadly missions. I don't think the slight increase in quality level of deadly mission boxes overcomes the loss of the completion bonus.

Others in my guild vehemently disagree with this and absolutely only farm on deadly missions.

I'll be interested in how others answer your question.
  • jaydjayd Member Posts: 7
    I would think that farming the earlier food / exp missions wouldn't be worth it but at episode 9 the passive reward is pretty big so I'm not sure right now either
  • jureforjusticejureforjustice Member Posts: 270
    From my... 2 day experience farming for ketchup err, supplies. I came to the conclusion that farming the grinder (explorer) mission that has the supply icon on it nets me more supplies in reward chests. In the deadly, I'd come across items, XP, and supplies for rewards. The only downfall, gold and silver chests do not appear as often (maybe half the time) as the deadly. It is good to note, that the items I've obtained from the supply explorer missions were better qualities when they were gold chests. I've received epic lvl 10 and legendary lvl 11 from them, and when it's supplies, I'll net 12k+ from gold chests.
    edited November 2015
    @jureforjustice Can you please come to my guild and tell everyone that I'm right? :p

In terms of the number of gold and silver boxes showing up, I think the number is closer 25% less likely to show up than 50%. And you are correct, I too noticed the larger number of experience points or ketchup from the boxes that are item specific versus the deadly ones.

I'll have to observe if the quality of items in the gold or silver boxes from item specific missions are superior to the deadly mission ones.
  • jureforjusticejureforjustice Member Posts: 270
    edited November 2015

@jureforjustice Can you please come to my guild and tell everyone that I'm right? :p

In terms of the number of gold and silver boxes showing up, I think the number is closer 25% than 50%. And you are correct, I too noticed the larger number of experience points or ketchup from the boxes that are item specific versus the deadly ones.

I'll have to observe if the quality of items in the gold or silver boxes from item specific missions are superior to the deadly mission ones.

BAH! We all have our flaws... My guild cries saying that bruisers are useless... But I was the highest star rated of my guild. Hitting 210 stars last week while being only lvl 25 (next guy was lvl 35 with 193 stars), AND even then, they still think I am wrong (that bruisers are weak)... but if bruisers are weak... I hope the devs buff them so that I can do even better!! :smile:

"You can only say so much" is what I've come to accept. People want to believe what they want to believe, and since the devs don't give any information on the game, we can't say we are right or wrong.
  • HelioHelio Member Posts: 522
    I only have lvl 8 survivors at the moment and basically only farm the tomato missions. The chests usually have tomatoes which adds up quickly. Since xp you can get by staying longer in missions (and this weeks terminus has a couple levels where you can get 5k +xp) I'm not hurting for xp. Finally, since most items will be replaced in a couple levels anyway, there is no real point to farming the deadly mission trying to get a legendary weapon at my level.

• aysatyoaysatyo Member Posts: 352
    for me, food exploration is better.. especially if the map is favorable for farming xp.
  • zosonzoson Member Posts: 2,216
    I don't find ketchup to be so limiting that I ever care to farm more of it. I'd rather do a deadly and get the extra XP from scrapping the loot, and have more chances at gold cards for the better gear and large bonuses. I always find better cards/loot in the deadly missions. Even if it's just 25% more cards... That's 1/4 of the time you're getting a much better benefit. Especially if you're smart about saving your videos to go after golds.

Which classes are good will be totally different for different people. It all depends on your itemization. I haven't gotten a good bruiser weapon since level 6(so it's level 9) making my bruisers totally ineffective and worthless. The guaranteed crit from a stun is less useful than just having a shooter blast something in the face for 300-700 damage.
    zoson said:

I don't find ketchup to be so limiting that I ever care to farm more of it. I'd rather do a deadly and get the extra XP from scrapping the loot, and have more chances at gold cards for the better gear and large bonuses. I always find better cards/loot in the deadly missions. Even if it's just 25% more cards... That's 1/4 of the time you're getting a much better benefit. Especially if you're smart about saving your videos to go after golds.

Ok I admit I'm lazy and refuse to go find the appropriate thread, but how often can you save your videos? How long can you hang on to them?
    froggy
  • VerbaubVerbaub Member Posts: 650
    I think it depends on your needs. The upgrade cost for buildings as you progress is pretty expensive, so if you're not paying real money to upgrade, you're going to need to hit the ketchup missions. Right now my costs for upgrades are:
    Hospital from 6 -> 7 = 430k supplies
    Farms from 7 -> 8 = 430k " " (x4)
    Mission Car fr. 5 -> 6 = 430k " "
    Council from 11 -> 12 = 570k " "

Everything else is waiting for Council to be upgraded to lvl. 12. But that right there is over 3 million supplies :o

That is a LOT of supplies, which you can't farm as easily as xp.
    jureforjustice
    I'm f2p, level 27. I haven't had any issues waiting to upgrade. I just don't see it as a limitation, there's plenty to do between upgrades such that it doesn't feel like I'm losing out by not upgrading my buildings.
    on the early stage and mid stage you might not need more ketchup. but when all your building requires more than 100k ketchups, that's when you will realize you're lacking ketchup missions. xp on the otherhand can be obtained by farming walkers on guild missions. others can farm 4k, 14k, even 40k xp on one mission, depending on your survivor levels and your patience.. so in this matter, ketchup is much limited than xp..
    aysatyo said:

on the early stage and mid stage you might not need more ketchup. but when all your building requires more than 100k ketchups, that's when you will realize you're lacking ketchup missions. xp on the otherhand can be obtained by farming walkers on guild missions. others can farm 4k, 14k, even 40k xp on one mission, depending on your survivor levels and your patience.. so in this matter, ketchup is much limited than xp..

With the workshop set to upgrade all equipment in 5 seconds, I've been finding myself in need of experience points rather than ketchup. Once the workshop returns to normal upgrade times, ketchup may become the more scarce resource as you've explained.
    zoson said:

I'm f2p, level 27.

@zoson Are you saying you haven't spent any money in this game?
    you could also get xp by scrapping items.. with 5 sec upgrade on items, you could easily get hooked and spend all your xp. So, you should learn to prioritize which item to upgrade and which item to scrap or just keep. For me, im only upgrading items for my strongest survivors for each class because i dont use 2 survivors of the same class in a mission. in this way, i can save xp.. It only got a bit difficult if i got a better item, which rarely happens..

zoson said:

I'm f2p, level 27.

@zoson Are you saying you haven't spent any money in this game?
    Correct.
  • JordiJordi Member Posts: 7
    I'd definately advice you to do deadly missions at least until you finished 500, which will give you 500 gold.
    zoson
  • froggyfroggy Member Posts: 27
    @zoson said: Especially if you're smart about saving your videos to go after golds.

What is this about videos?

And I haven't spent any money either. I just go on missions for food and kill a lot of walkers on these same runs to get XP. 2 birds with one stone. Need XP for survivor upgrades and food for building upgrades.
    froggy said:

@zoson said: Especially if you're smart about saving your videos to go after golds.

What is this about videos?

And I haven't spent any money either. I just go on missions for food and kill a lot of walkers on these same runs to get XP. 2 birds with one stone. Need XP for survivor upgrades and food for building upgrades.

Save your videos for when you have missed gold cards to get chances at those 10000+ ketchup rewards. I think the highest I've seen is like 18k. You get more gold cards doing deadly missions, so you can easily make up the 3k per food mission with a single gold card.
  • mzed718mzed718 Member Posts: 12
    I second zosons & jordis comment.

I pretty much only do deadly missions because of the silver/gold rewards. I got 12000 food supply from a gold card today.
This discussion has been closed.