Issues with GW and international guilds

2»

Comments

• PastePaste Member Posts: 720
    @Arqueue: Quote me on anything I said which you disagree with if you're going to disagree. Then argue against that quote and not lots of other things. No strawmanning.
    If you want to get better at this game, join Discord and learn badge crafting and much more: https://discord.gg/cDhgv3AJ89
  • WellyLugaWellyLuga Member Posts: 2,777
    edited November 2020
    Paste said:
    WellyLuga said:
    Then suggesting dropping down and playing lower levels didn't [sit well with me] either, the best way to get better at the tough maps is by playing them. Eventually heavy injuries turn into injuries, injuries turn into bruises, so on. None of that happens if you have a guild leader forcing said players to drop down into their comfort zone though because they're taking too long. My 2 cents.
    I disagree. People who have a strong interest in the game meta, game mechanics, progression etc will progress either way and will take on risk when they're ready to step up. People who don't care about the meta and game mechanics won't progress much either way. Hurting yourself doesn't make you better. It helps the team win points if you play closer to your limits, but it hurts them more if you're not ready to use gold. It makes the battle frustrating for everyone. I remember several times where one person kept everyone else waiting. That's obviously super dumb and a waste of valuable time. So I agree with Atlas on this.
    You talk as if there are two types of players, those that are good at the game and those that aren't. Almost as if there's no in between. What you and @ATLAS-Z keep referring to seems to be a really exaggerated poor player who has no concept for team play. I agree, those players should stay well clear of any tough maps and if they insist on playing one map every 2 hours they have no place in my guild that's for sure. I dont know where you've come across them but christ, kick them now :lol:. But there are many levels between that player and the best players. 

I don't know about you but when GW was first released quite a few of my maps ended with heavy injury, some were fails. But the more I played, the more I learnt about map routes, predicting walker behaviour, when to play aggressive, when to take your time and a host of other sides to the game. I had to go through maps where I failed, understand why and learn from that. Of course hurting yourself makes you better - there is a famous phrase that says exactly that. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger...

Eventually I turned into a player that rarely fails and can play 18 maps at RSL42+ without needing to throw a pile of gold at the game. I never would have got the chance to get to that stage if I had a guild leader calling me selfish any time I needed to take a healing break or insisted I played lower level maps instead. I would probably have just left the guild as I don't play the game to be told what I spend my gold on.
  • ATLAS-ZATLAS-Z Member Posts: 4,700
    edited November 2020
    @WellyLuga the players are all active and most enjoy pushing themselve , so why would I kick them? That makes no sense.

It boils down to this:

How will you handle this scenario? 

Player 1 is scheduled to complete 6E

Player 2 is scheduled to complete 5E

Player 2 gets critically wounded with 3 hrs left in the match

Assume neither player wants to spend gold, because who does? 

Also assume that both players volunteered for their assigned sectors, and that both are at the top difficulty they can handle. 

Are you Lost? Alone? Looking for a killer team to have your back?
    Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
    Remember, search ZOMBREX SATISFIES. Check us out HERE
    EMAIL US --> [email protected]"
    edited November 2020
    ATLAS-Z said:
    @WellyLuga the players are all active and most enjoy pushing themselve , so why would I kick them? That makes no sense.

It boils down to this:

How will you handle this scenario? 

Player 1 is scheduled to complete 6E

Player 2 is scheduled to complete 5E

Player 2 gets critically wounded with 3 hrs left in the match

Assume neither player wants to spend gold, because who does? 

Also assume that both players volunteered for their assigned sectors, and that both are at the top difficulty they can handle. 

I was referring to a player who didn't care for the team, didn't follow a plan and did tough maps they couldn't handle and waited 2 hours between each map. Because it was an example used in multiple posts. Unless I am mistaken, 5E is open after 1-2 sectors right? Why are you waiting 19 hours to get 5E open?

If I am against the clock and absolutely have to spend gold or end the battle with unused attacks then I will, but your scenario just sounds like really bad planning more than anything else. Again, it's taken many posts to get to this point because you started it by plainly stating anyone not spending gold for the team is selfish and that's what I thought was total bullshit. I guess I am spoilt in WW that we don't have 1 specific player playing a whole sector to open up a later one and they're waiting until the very end of the battle to do it so your scenario is something I will likely never experience.
  • ATLAS-ZATLAS-Z Member Posts: 4,700
    Bad planning, that's funny. Coming from someone who likely never has to plan. When everyone can compete every mission barring the last few sectors.

And it was just a hypothetical scenario. 

On this side of the pond, battle starts at 2am I think? 

Wake up at 630 am, get ready, go to work, 10 hour shift plus 30+ minute travel time both ways. Get home around 630 pm, maybe squeak in a few missions before dinner. 1 hour dinner and family time minimum, then maybe can finally start to dig in around 730-800 pm. Match ends at 1230 am, but I need to be in bed by 1200 am at the very latest. 

So your 19 hours is more like 4 hrs, and I generally assumed that other people have busy lives as well when I'm making my plans.

So maybe you have a whole lot more free time than I do? A whole lot more free time than most of the people I have play with?

But I guess that would make sense based on your commentary.

It's unfortunate that you and I are on opposite sides of this discussion. And I know that I'm speaking rationally, but everything is from a matter of different perspectives. From my perspective with the limited time I have it seems very rude and selfish of me for someone to waste my very limited free time. Maybe from your perspective you have a lot more and so it's not that big a deal.

I don't want to invalidate your points and I don't appreciate the overtones that you are directing back at me. However since I do respect you as a player and as a member of the community I think perhaps we should just agree to disagree.

I cannot say that we've had much of a relationship prior to this but for what it's worth I do not want to damage it further. I hope you understand and I hope we can move forward. I do not look to collect enemies and would much rather be friends.

Are you Lost? Alone? Looking for a killer team to have your back?
    Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
    Remember, search ZOMBREX SATISFIES. Check us out HERE
    EMAIL US --> [email protected]"
    kinkoWellyLugaPaste
    edited November 2020
    @ATLAS-Z This whole discussion has been agree to disagree from the start, that much was clear to me. No disrespect was ever intended towards you or your guild, if you notice in my post any comments I have to bad planning were directly solely to the scenario that you gave me. I don't know what your battle plans are like so I can't really comment. You gave me a hypothetical scenario and I gave a hypothetical answer to it, no more, no less.

We have players who show up for the first couple hours, blitz through most of their missions in a couple hours, sleep and then check in towards the end. We have others who don't show up until 12 hours in but they always end up with missions in the 6D/6E sectors when everything is unlocked. I do have the luxury of being able to play sporadically throughout the day, but such is the beauty of this game is that you can play when you have a few minutes free. I find myself playing a couple missions here and there over the course of a few hours and I do that through most of the day (the battle starts at 7:30AM UK time, roughly when I get up for work) so I can allow my hospital to do most of the work rather than my gold supply.

Like I mentioned, you seemed to just group anyone who plays for free under the same umbrella - no matter the circumstances and that's where my argument stemmed from. I'm doing maps that are usually incredibly difficult and require tools and I figure that is a solid contribution, if I want to save my gold and take some time between maps to heal for free then I'd say I've earned the right to do that without being labelled as a selfish player. If my teammates took the hump I would quickly offer to swap for some breezy lower levels/humans but they rarely take me up on the offer. 'Be right back, on healing break' is a pretty common phrase in the chat, it isn't just me, sectors sometimes take time to open but as long as we get there in the end that's all that matters. The rewards in the GW shop are pretty paltry overall so however people want to play to reduce the amount they have to invest for them is okay with me.

Much love and respect anyway.