Tools and solutions

2»

Comments

• paeaeaeschpaeaeaesch Member Posts: 83
    Firekid said:
    So my suggestions for sorting out the tools is a slight nerf. I know its not going to be very popular to start with but I think we need to rip the plaster off now before it gets even more ingrained and more tools are introduced. My suggestion is as follows. 

Offensive Tools - Using one will be treated like using a regular attack. So standing still and using an offensive tool and that's the survivors turn over, or you can do a quick move and use a tool. To mitigate this nerf grenades damage increased by 10% and blast grenade damage increased by 15%. Both cooldowns reduced by 1. 
    Defensive/support tools - Using one of these will be the same as using a regular attack but you get a tactical movement afterward (like alpha after hitting a bodyshot). So you could quick move, use a medkit/flare/gore and get a further movement. To mitigate this nerf all cooldown timers are reduced by 1. (I would also like the ability to degore yourself when you want rather than having to either attack or wait the full 2 turns)

The way I see this is that you will still be able to use all the tools you've bought and as many as you like but only be able to use a maximum of 3 per turn and if you do use 3 in that turn then you are not going to be able to use a regular attack. 
    My hope is that this would bring back the tactical side of the game that has been missing since tools were introduced. 

Yes you won't be able to use a grenade to charge sasha/assault and then root/stun something. Won't be able to throw a grenade, then blast, then a flare and then gore up all with one survivor. 

I am sure NG will be bringing out new and inventive tools in the future and this needs to be resolved now before things get out of hand. 

Lets make it harder for ourselves now so that we can enjoy the game for longer and allow NG to give us new tools to use which will still be balanced because you'll have to choose your tools and when to use them and when to charge up/retreat wisely. 

There should be some maps which are incredibly difficult/impossible that you fear to attempt even with a full toolbag. 

If you like this idea, please show your support by liking or agreeing below. 

Thanks for reading! 

How is this a nerf?? I think that would acutally be a buff. Increased damage means the thresholds for grenade + charge attack goes up and reduced cooldowns results in even more tools are used. I would rather stick to my idea, just increasing the cooldowns with no other changes and don't make it even more easy to win with raining tools all over the map...
  • JayZJayZ Member Posts: 3,709

I read here also a statement saying how terrible it would be if you couldn't complete island 20 because of the cap. But would it really be so bad?
    Don't you remember the days going into a sector unsure of wether you were going to be able to finish it? It was an awful feeling when you couldn't. But it felt like a real achievement when you pulled it off.
    These days there is no doubt you will finish the sector you start, the only uncertainty is how much it will cost you.
    Where is the challenge in this? A lot of us enjoy the challenge this game offered trying to get a little better, do something you hadn't been able to do before. 
    What challenge is there today for endgamers? What is (near) impossible?

I agree with many parts of your post. But on this particular point, think: what if you start sector 19, spend a lot of tools, and then find that you can't finish it? How much will you "enjoy" the game in that scenario? Sure, it will be a challenge, but it will also demotivate a lot of players.

Speaking for myself, my max GW level was 45 in the old map. Less than 4 weeks into the new map, I closed island 20 by myself for the first time ever. It is certainly expensive, but I can tell you, it is certainly still a challenge (especially to play with minimal red gas).
    Proud member of Mavericks OG, a top 3 global GW and challenge guild.
    Message me on the forums or on Line (ID: jayztwdnml) if you're interested in joining the Mavericks family of guilds.

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGSePrANMyf_S_YKJyfJodg
    Strategy compendium: https://forums.nextgames.com/walkingdead/discussion/41787/jayzs-nml-strategy-compendium
    PasteTCBRITO
  • WellyLugaWellyLuga Member Posts: 2,968
    @JayZ We both know your team is stacked enough to a point that it won't be an issue. You will have the players to jump in and support so that it doesn't fall on one player. It will probably benefit you more than it will hurt you :wink:

@Mario_Romero Fluxxx mentioned that it was pitched and rejected, I never saw this discussion so I am guessing it was done via alternative channels to the 'in' crowd. The crowd that probably make up a considerable majority of the players who pay and enjoy winning with these tools... My guess is they were more than happy to see it rejected and continue milking their cash cow.
  • ghost_pepperghost_pepper Member Posts: 680
    Something to participate in and challenge yourself against others with that uses acurate and fair measurement of skill and not spending...

You mean... like a game?? 

Participating in a money sponge isn't fun? You want an actual game? I think ng hiding silently behind all this daily tool hemmorage is pretty clear with their possition on this game request of yours.
    ShadowWalkerShezza10
  • FirekidFirekid Member Posts: 2,924
    edited May 10
    @paeaeaesch the nerf is the fact you can no longer throw a tool and attack in the same turn. No more root, throw grenade and root again, then blast grenade. Or missing a charge point on your assault? Can’t just throw a grenade to get charged up then stun anymore. No more throwing a flare with a scout and running full distance. As more tools come out this would only get worse. Grenades blast, Molotov, set claymore, set walker trap then attack with all 3 survivors. If you’ve never done any of these when using your tools then you’ve not been taking full advantage of them. It will make them much harder to use effectively and will be a last resort rather than a first resort. 
    Maybe normal grenades don’t need to have their cool down timer reduced but I stand by the rest of it. 
    Paste
  • brucewayne007brucewayne007 Member Posts: 529
    Would be nice to go into battle with a limited amount of tools. 
    I’m war a soldier may carry 1-2 grenades, a medkit. 
    Why can’t we equip our team with a weapon & armour as usual, and equip what tools that person can carry. 
    In real life you don’t see a soldier with 6 grenades strapped to him. Let’s get a small amount of realism. 
    aquila
    Firekid said:
    @paeaeaesch the nerf is the fact you can no longer throw a tool and attack in the same turn. No more root, throw grenade and root again, then blast grenade. Or missing a charge point on your assault? Can’t just throw a grenade to get charged up then stun anymore. No more throwing a flare with a scout and running full distance. As more tools come out this would only get worse. Grenades blast, Molotov, set claymore, set walker trap then attack with all 3 survivors. If you’ve never done any of these when using your tools then you’ve not been taking full advantage of them. It will make them much harder to use effectively and will be a last resort rather than a first resort. 
    Maybe normal grenades don’t need to have their cool down timer reduced but I stand by the rest of it. 
    Hmm ok, i don't play with ranged survivors, so there is no need to "take full advantage" of that "playstyle". I use bruisers/Rick/Beta, and from this perspective it seems like a straight buff having reduced cooldowns...
  • VirtusVirtus Member Posts: 27
    Similar to there being different Distance modes, couldn't we have a Challenge mode where tools can't be used and badges don't work? Make that the leaderboard challenge, and I 'll bet you won't get any ties.
  • dalmerdalmer Member Posts: 92

In real life you don’t see a soldier with 6 grenades strapped to him. Let’s get a small amount of realism. 
    No?

😂
    Anjelosbrucewayne007ShadowWalkeraquila
  • FirekidFirekid Member Posts: 2,924
    @paeaeaesch even with those teams, you’ve never thrown a tool with a survivor and then attacked with them? 
  • BurmeliinisBurmeliinis Member Posts: 937
    I am also strongly in favor of limiting tool use.

Personally I think a VP cost (for example 5% of the mission's VP per tool used) would be the easiest and most fair solution. Top spenders could still play the hardest missions and use however many tools they need, but the better strategist and/or better players could still win in the end. 
    Ingame username: Jubjab
    Pasteaquila
    Firekid said:
    @paeaeaesch even with those teams, you’ve never thrown a tool with a survivor and then attacked with them? 
    Sure i do that, but the movement part is not my point, i would have no problem with this alone. It's the reduced cooldowns and higher damage. Giving players the opportunity to throw more tools will result in players throw more tools, and this is the oppsoit of what we want to achieve. And higher damage for grenades will make it even more easy to just win by tools
  • LexiaLexia Community Manager Posts: 106
    Just wanted to jump in real quick and thank everyone for the lively discussion! 

We have been reading your comments and we've discussed a bit already about the matter with the team. We are currently in the middle of a development cycle, so unfortunately not able to promise anything, but the discussion will continue, with the whole team involved. That being said, I will close this thread now.

Really a joy to see such an engaged community, and I hope to have some interesting solutions for this matter and others to come :smile:
    BurmeliinisNatsuDarkTCBRITOdalmerghost_pepper3vilrineAnjelos
This discussion has been closed.