IPad mini 2?

NotYourLunchNotYourLunch Member Posts: 40
Ok, some clarification. Is an iPad mini 2, 64g, not jail broken, with a TON of room, freshly cleaned, with an extremely strong internet connection that runs literally everything else I throw at it flawlessly, capable of running this game now.

Because the lag and disconnects lately are making this game a REAL pain in the butt to play.

Or, is it on your end? Have you upped the requirements to play so high you need a near new tablet to game?

Or are your servers simply not up to the task?

Or are there so many bad paths and memory leaks in your coding to fix still that are causing the issue.

And I doubt I'm alone here.
FizzyPinot

Comments

• DaleDale Member Posts: 1,122
    You're not alone. This game crashes on iPads all the time.
  • FizzyPinotFizzyPinot Member Posts: 355
    I'm so glad @NotYourLunch has posted this thread. I was actually thinking today that my iPad is probably to blame as it's a year old now so must be obsolete in its mechanics to cope with modern games.
    yay Z Nation trailer now out for new season!
  • SgtSalamiSgtSalami Member Posts: 554
    Yes, my ipad2 crashes loads. It is very frustrating.
  • OldGothOldGoth Staff Posts: 297
    We are looking at performance problems right now, including the Mini 2. No update on that yet.
  • NotYourLunchNotYourLunch Member Posts: 40
    Awesome, thanks for the response!
  • Annette578Annette578 Member Posts: 487
    @NotYourLunch
    I have iPad mini also, it crashes about 3-4 times an hour. It has latest update , I have an extremely fast internet connection. Can play other games without any crashes! So I know it isn't on my end! Good luck!
  • eetueetu Member Posts: 637
    Is there a pattern to the crashes, i.e. do they tend to happen in certain points in the game?
    Are there buttons you are hesitant to press? :)
    edited March 2016
    Many happen hitting a button to view a video or collect afterwards. Or entering an outpost. But some are just random in the middle of a map. I'll try to pay closer attentions

Edit: 2 x after hit start for an outpost attack
  • EironEiron Member Posts: 41
    eetu said:

Is there a pattern to the crashes, i.e. do they tend to happen in certain points in the game?
    Are there buttons you are hesitant to press? :)

No clear pattern to the crashes. Can happen at any time or in any game area.

Running an iPad mini2, fully current iOS updated, plenty of space, etc. Fast wifi connect w proper multi-band repeaters set up throughout the house, & so on. All hardware tests fine, no issues or dropouts w many other games or streaming services.

The attack button on outpost raids, in particular. :b (I've suffered 7 crashes since the outpost was introduced, w/ the not actually run mission showing in the log as a total defeat w loss of trophies. I am -not- running any more outpost attacks until it's fixed.)

Not real fond of the crash that cost me a 3 star run on latest challenge either... Had just sent a bruiser to finish off an already weakened walker when game crashed. Came back to find the bruiser wrestling w the bugger & only got one star from an otherwise perfect run.
  • dfg2dfg2 Member Posts: 32
    Ipad 2 crashes (probably due to ~memory overflow, happens 100% of time) a little while after having visited "manage outpost".

Some other performance issues I have noticed...
    - bringing up apple keyboard and writing a new name for a survivor, or writing in chat will result in a crash (again due to some kind of memory issue)
    - just doing missions is oftentimes unstable / slow
    - there are other patterns, relating to doing a lot at once, that result in unstable behavior
    FizzyPinot
    Ipad2 happen when manipulating my survivors, messaging in guild chat, watching videos for reward boxes, and now the loading problem after missions.
    Sometimes also when there are lots of walkers moving in a mission.
    Ok, it's mostly outpost missions now. You burn off a ton of supplies trying to find a decent victim, hit attack, and end up outside the game. Minus your supplies and gas. But still also losing out on video rewards as it crashes
  • BarcodeJBarcodeJ Member Posts: 401
    Sorry, not to be a troll, but if you had an android tablet you might not have so many problems ;-). My galaxy Tab S 10.5 has never crashed playing the game.
    Well let's all go & trash our Apple crap, & go with Samsung! Right guys! Lol
    BarcodeJ
    *quietly adds sarcasm tags to @Annette578 's post....*
    @BarcodeJ
    Whispering, quietly, TY! Shhhhhhhh, (BTW, loved your meme's) I said , lol ?
    BarcodeJ
    @Annette578. Thank you! They got me my shiny new dank meme maker badge :-D
    It's not solely an outpost issue. It's been happening on my ipad all along and I haven't build an outpost.

I agree with those who say that it feels like a memory issue. Sometimes it feels like I have to go in slow motion to allow it to catch up.

There doesn't seem to be a pattern with where it happens. At first it was only on the screen where we choose the weapon and armor but it has expanded well beyond that.

I'm trying to see if there is a pattern when it happens. Every X minutes or something like that. I'll see if I can time it.

Yes, but things are much worse now after the update to fix outposts. It has really messed with whatever is going on in my ipad2 @Dale

@BarcodeJ glad to hear your Samsung does well for you, but it is kind of a troll post on a thread full of bummed out people...enjoy your game...
  • bumshoebumshoe Member Posts: 322
    I have an iPad mini and not many issues after the update other then random bugs that I take screen shots of and send them to support.

Has not crashed since.
    When soft cap comes I quit the game.
  • eetueetu Member Posts: 637
    Ok you people are talking about iPad mini 2, iPad 2 and iPad mini here. IPad 2 and iPad mini are 512meg memory devices, which can really struggle with highend 3d content. We do detect 512meg devices and turn some dials down so that they do run the game, but if the device has a lot of other things going on it can become a bit unstable. We test each release on the low memory devices to confirm that they still run ok.
    IPad mini 2 is a 1gig memory device and should fare quite a bit better, but we are checking it again now.
    Fair enough. I don't speak Mac, even though I have an iPad. I download an app that is supposed to tell me what the memory is being used for. I'm not impressed with it.

The "Total" keeps changing. (How can the total change?) There are varying numbers for "Wired", "Active", "Inactive", and "Free". (The difference between Inactive and Free is what?)

I have a bunch of screenshots but I've lost track of when they were taken in the process.

I'll look for a better app and keep better track of my screenshots but I can't do it now because I'm out of gas and all of my survivors are in the hospital.
    eetu said:

Ok you people are talking about iPad mini 2, iPad 2 and iPad mini here. IPad 2 and iPad mini are 512meg memory devices, which can really struggle with highend 3d content. We do detect 512meg devices and turn some dials down so that they do run the game, but if the device has a lot of other things going on it can become a bit unstable.

Mine doesn't have anything going on it that I know of. I close as much as I can before I start. But, you're right: I have an ipad2, 512 meg. :'(

LOL Well Hopefully you find a problem. I may find $20 outrageous for some pixel weapon but a $900 iPad Air 2 so I can play seems justified for some reason.
    But I like my ipad! and it does everything I want, except for this. I realize that 5 years old is ancient in tech terms but not all of us can afford to buy new stuff all of time.
  • zosonzoson Member Posts: 2,216
    edited March 2016
    @Dale

Total is total addressed memory. This value should be equal to wired + active + inactive.
    Wired the memory used by the operating system.
    Active is memory currently actively being addressed.
    Inactive is addressed but not directly in use at that moment.
    Free is unaddressed by any software running on the device.

Basically, since you're running on a 512MB device, you should be concerned if "Total" is above or equal to 512MB.

You can go above the total 512MB of real memory that your device has with memory swapping to your flash - this causes a serious performance decrease and can lead to instability in many applications. Without swapping, lots of stuff would just crash outright when it ran out of memory though.
  • PerdtinPerdtin Member Posts: 783
    eetu said:

eetu said:

IPad mini 2 is a 1gig memory device and should fare quite a bit better, but we are checking it again now.

I have the iPad Mini 2 and it crashes often. I am not sure there is a pattern, though the cinema is one the fails often. Usually after watching the movie, then trying to claim a reward. There is also the slow-down issue, mentioned in another thread, where it looks like it is moving at .5 FPS :) It almost looks like a memory leak when it happens and things slow down. Often happens on heavy farming type missions as if sprites not released (?)
  • KlorelKlorel Member Posts: 32
    I have the same problem on my Samsung Galaxy Tab3, memory 1g. Did not have this problem before the 1.6 update
    edited March 2016
    Can't put my finger on it. Even with just normal supply runs I do a couple and then the lag and stutter becomes very pronounced. Pretty much guaranteed if I make it to mission end, I'll crash and lose crates. Becoming like I should run mission and reload. Rinse repeat. Loads of fun ...................