The 2 Minute Disconnect

Comments

• PerdtinPerdtin Member Posts: 783
    And just finished Challenge run. Bopped into chat was typing message when the disconnect happened.
    Just scrolling through weapons and armor seeing what else to scrap for XP and figure out what to upgrade next. Bet you cannot guess what just happened.

Here is a hint

is.jpg 29.9K
    edited March 2016
    App quit, no disconnect message Then tried to launch app, told not available. Then got in, was scrolling survivors to check max levels for other post. One guess, c'mon one guess. (Hint, look at above image and switch background.) :)
  • woodstockwoodstock Member Posts: 200
    edited March 2016
    @eetu

A timeout is good to reduce the server load, but 2 minutes is just unusable. Did you forget that there is an in-game chat? Each time you wait for two minutes for a reply, you have to reload. Or it just timed out while I was editing my guild info. It has to be at least 5 minutes. Better 10.

And my game just freezes when it times out, so I have to kill and reload.
  • AlibabaAlibaba Moderator Posts: 1,275
    edited March 2016
    @Invader Merging with original thread. @R03 What about a realistic optimist? :p

The application should disconnect you if you are inactive from the game for 2 minutes REGARDLESS of what window or part of the game you are one. Simply tapping anywhere on the screen is not enough. If it is disconnecting you while you are actively doing something in the game then this is a bug and needs to be fixed.

Alibaba lvl49
    LINE me: princealibabwa
    Aegis Official FB Page
  • eetueetu Member Posts: 637
    The idle counter resets every time there is some interaction with the server, not every time you interact with the client.

We ended up with 2 minutes for safety reasons regarding the rollbacks, but in hindsight we overdid it with this one. The time limit can not be very high, but we will be increasing it.
  • woodstockwoodstock Member Posts: 200
    @eetu

Sometimes I browse through my equipment for several minutes in order to decide what to upgrade or to count them, because there is no counter (hint), but a 140 item limit. I just had another timeout in that situation, so in order to detect real idling, you should implement that client interaction triggers sending a keep-alive package to the server, if there was no server interaction recently (e.g. 30 seconds less than the timeout value).
    Indeed. We needed to to do this as an emergency fix for the rollbacks, so it had to be server-side only as client updates have a long lead time due to QA and submission queues..
    Just more an FYI, disconnected repeatedly same circumstances generally
  • Shut_UpShut_Up Member Posts: 2,295
    @eetu I see you posted that the 2 minutes will be increased so just to beat a dead horse I think the 2 minute window is affecting my ability to raid. I guess there is enough elapsed time and not any game movements that require server interaction leading to the inactive notice then the boot then loosing the raid. An example might be running down a long stretch and the waiting for the flags to be taken down. Even using end round and toggling to double speed isn't fast enough to prevent the boot sometimes. Not a big deal on other missions but a raid obviously you just fail. You just don't clear!
    Combat should be talking with the server all the time, disconnects there could well be a different issue.
    Well it's hard to tell with one message meaning 2 things. I didn't think it was my internet connection because I was on cellular and it didn't show any problems with signal. Sorry
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2016
    @eetu I keep getting "reconnecting" while I am playing.

reconnecting

Tammy

"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured."
    -Mark Twain

Need a guild or want to chat? Send me a private message @WeekOne or contact me via email: [email protected]

WeekOne said:

@eetu I keep getting "reconnecting" while I am playing.

That is a separate issue then, we know there are other reconnect issues live at the moment. (Sorry)
    @eetu Cool, thank you. Makes it a bit easier until everything gets sorted out. I have gotten quicker in typing ;) (Just as an aside, as indicated above certain actions were still not sending server "Hey, I am playing" messages. Will keep an eye out if it changed. But scrolling survivors, equipment or replying to chats were a few.)
  • @eetu Thank you for responding. You are all doing a fantastic job. Keep up the good work. I'm seeing people trying to help you figure things out. Beautiful team effort with players and developers.

I'm impressed!

Tammy

@Teeceezy @OldGoth

"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured."
    -Mark Twain

Need a guild or want to chat? Send me a private message @WeekOne or contact me via email: [email protected]

edited March 2016
    @eetu So assuming that you have a perfect internet connection and you aren't idle for 4 minutes but you are still getting the spinning clock of death and the reconnecting message then that is a problem and a problem unrelated to the idler timer?

Despite getting hammered by the bug for 1881 influence points and 5500 of TG I still enjoy the game and I think the mods and devs are workin hard and doing a good job. You gotta crack a few eggs to make an omelete.
    rgerkmanzoson[Deleted User]
    Shut_Up said:

You gotta crack a few eggs to make an omelete.

And we appreciate your patience, even when it sucks to be the egg. :)
    rgerkmanantlmfgunnutTheLostOnes
  • theblueboxthebluebox Member Posts: 807
    @Shut_Up Pretty sure the spinning timer is a separate issue. It was happening before the timer was implemented.

My device sends information to via my connection to my ISP. My ISP forwards the signal though other servers before it eventually bounces to the game server. Even though my device has a strong connection to my ISP, if there is any traffic issues between my ISP and the game server, I will get the spinning clock if the signal doesn;t reach the game server or the response from the game server is too slow. Now, if the game server my game is operating on has high traffic, my signal is queued for processing. That will cause a delay in server response and the spinning clock as well. So, if it is a game server issue (which eetu says there are issues, and they will be dealt with), then it will take fixing on their end. If it is not a game server issue, then the signal could be blocked anywhere along the path the ISP is using, and it would be a major pain to actually find the malfunction.
  • jesterjester Member Posts: 2,741
    Dude? Do you work for NG?
  • :o

-Mark Twain

edited March 2016
    @eetu

Please do. And if you have to, make he/she work this coming weekend.
    jester said:

@eetu

Please do. And if you have to, make he/she work this coming weekend.

@thebluebox is not an NG employee (AFAIK) There are too many issues about this game to actually care about it. The inherent style ( of move-move) is a game style I like. And I like Zombies. And I like people here and my guild. The game basically has stagnated but for those factors (talking with my Guild.) In terms of quality control on anything, that simply does not exist. Cars blow up, no one cares. On on-line game? Really no one cares. And I avoided all these things, then saw TWD. Downloaded for free and it was really good and clear and worked well. Then, well whatever.
    No shit. Thanks for the clarification.
    jester said:

No shit. Thanks for the clarification.

? I just posted something and then saw this. Not sure if I said something?
    Sarcasm. I know he's not a NG employee. Didn't need the clarification.
    jester said:

Sarcasm. I know he's not a NG employee. Didn't need the clarification.

Okay, He is a she BTW. Or so he (she) says. And my point was not that part per se. And you were kind of unclear who you were pointing to with the remark. Because earlier there was others that seemed a lot me like blatant schilling types. @thebluebox ain't one and I was not clear.
  • theblueboxthebluebox Member Posts: 807
    I am female. (Whovians know the TARDIS is female; non-Whovians wouldn't know this, so I rarely get offended by being referred to with the masculine pronoun as is the general rule when gender is not known.)

If I worked for NG, my mouth would have gotten me fired long before now. I have a low tollerance for bean counters not authorizng funds to do necessary system upgrades. I went online in 1995 and learned a bit about how the internet works. I was doing usenet before that. I built my first Windows 98 based computer from a discarded tower, salvagable bits from my old computer that died, and hardware I bought at RadioShack. I got a bootleg copy of Windows 98 OS from a friend and installed it. I taught myself HTML coding for the fun of it. Never got heavily into coding, but I do know hardware and how the internet works.