Things NOT to do until the bugs are fixed

theblueboxthebluebox Member Posts: 807
Fast gas / 1 min refills are a popular weekend event. A lot of people are requesting it. Can we please not do that until the problems are fixe??

Outposts were released. There was problems with the coding. The devs gave us fast gas to compensate for the inconvenience....

...And then the rollbacks started. At the time, I saw a post from a mod or staff member stating that the servers were overwhelmed and caused data leaks. They have been running around plugging the holes ever since.

What causes server overload? It happens when a server gets a higher volume of requests than the server can process. It happens when more people than usual come online and stay online. People came online to try the outposts and stayed online due to the fast gas. The fast gas contributed to the problem.

Let's avoid any weekend events that encourage higher than normal traffic until after the problems are fixed.

Let's also tell accounting to loosen the pursestrings so you can get server upgrades and more servers online to handle the increased traffic that comes from being a popular game with a strong marketing campaign. As a matter of fact, one of the devs should load this post onto a mobile device, walk down to the accounting office, and show it to them.

Dear accounting: Players that normally spend on the game and increase your company's revenue are refusing to make any purchases until the problems are fixed. Many of these problems are being caused by servers operating at levels that exceed their capabilities. Get out the checkbook and give this developer the funds required to obtain new servers and perform necessary upgrades to the existing ones. You won't make money until you spend some money.

Thank you.
[Deleted User]SwtdstnyHittenyouoff2LightfeetTheMurphy

Comments

• Thats BS. Its not about overload, its about bad programming skills and tons of bugs. Its easier to blame the load then to find and eliminate the bugs.
  • theblueboxthebluebox Member Posts: 807
    I have done some coding. The server overload can cause crashes and data leaks where save states are corrupted. I accept that was the original reason. Persistance of issues can be caused by need for upgrade. If the coders are asking the hardware to operate beyond parameters, the machines just cannot keep up. The money handlers often don't want to shell out for new equipmnt ubtil the system goes into complete meltdown. I think they may be at critical mass.
    Spindig
  • AysatyoPetAysatyoPet Member Posts: 1,168
    if this is really the case, then they should stop all events.. no challenges, no weekend event, stop outpost raiding, stop promoting bundles.. just the normal episode and exploration missions will work. This way, the traffic on the server will loosen up.. Do this until the server/s had been upgraded or replaced with a better one with higher specs.. I know it will be boring, but its better than continuing with so many rollback issues, or a complete shutdown for days..

• trixtatrixta Member Posts: 86
    cheque book*
    @trixta Cheque is the Queen's English spelling. Check is the American English spelling. Just like Colour and Color, Parlour and Parlor. The two forms of English have evolved differently over the last 300 years or so.

if this is really the case, then they should stop all events.. no challenges, no weekend event, stop outpost raiding, stop promoting bundles.. just the normal episode and exploration missions will work. This way, the traffic on the server will loosen up.. Do this until the server/s had been upgraded or replaced with a better one with higher specs.. I know it will be boring, but its better than continuing with so many rollback issues, or a complete shutdown for days..

I agree. They should shut down the game completely for 3 days, take the servers offline, put the user data on an un-corrupted hard drive, scrub and upgrade the servers, install a few new ones, transfer user data to a new server, and go back online. Of course, that only works if the servers are in house. If they rent space on servers at a server farm, then they don't actually have the servers in house. They have one control server that they upload their fixes through and push out to the others at a server farm. In that case, they would have to coordinate with the owners of the server farm.
    Wow, I just read this over. I mostly just wanted to ask that they not do anything that would overload the servers. Got a little ranty there, didn't I.
  • Japes87Japes87 Member Posts: 1,399
    edited March 2016
    @thebluebox

I have read alot of your posts and you are well spoken and obviously come from a place of good intentions. That being said , this game is a product like anything else people buy. They accept our money and give us a product that we use. If I went to a store and bought a bike then went to ride it and the pedals fell off and the frame broke apart , I would take the bike back and expect a full return of my money or a bike that worked properly.

I wouldn't just say ok well , looks like the manufacturing plant is having some issues and maybe don't have enough staff.. I'll just sit and wait with the broken bike and hope one day they get their company together and give me a new one. .

It isn't our role to be empathetic to a game developer that has made a mess of their game. AMC time lines and contracts with third parties , server overloads , and coding problems.. as a consumer I/we should not be having to worry about that stuff , it's up to the (multi million dollar ) company to figure it out. I just want to log on and kill zombies.

I appreciate your contributions to the forums and definitely agree with you about trying to make the player mods job easier , but I think you are giving NG a little bit too much leeway.. people have a right to be pissed and also a right not to have to worry about the mismanagement or inner failures of a company that is still taking our money and never stopped to clean their game up.

Just my 2 cents , with due respect.
    DeadBeat[Deleted User]TheLostOnesggbats
  • DoTakDoTak Member Posts: 1,964
    I'm not offering up an opinion one way or the other on this particular subject, but just want to say, compared to a lot of posts in this forum, @Japes87, that was a classy response in disagreement with @thebluebox

Kudos to both of you for your level-headed debate
    Japes87
    @Japes87 I am all for having a product that works. I think a month is too long for the problems to be ongoing. I have emailed AMC to register complaints about the substandard product they have licensed. We absolutely have a right to be angry. The Mods, many that are volunteer players, have the task of facing our venom. I am definitely sympathetic with them though I do realize many are not.

Like I said, this started out as a suggestion that they not do events that could make problems worse. It turned into a rant against the company decision makers that allowed this accumlation of bovine feces to happen. There are problems on so many levels, but ultimately, it's the one that signs the checks that takes the fault.

• DERRICKDERRICK Member Posts: 329
    1 min gas refills were never an issue in the past.. I doubt this caused data leaks just because of an overload of outpost.. if you check the leaderboards or ask your guildmates you will come to the conclusion, that not that many people play outpost..
    And its a bit sad, because it is a great Feature. .

We dont know if it's bad coding, wrecked/shitty servers, a horde of zombies or a overload on players caused all the problems..
    As long as they dont tell, we are all just guessing...

Greetings* D
    ... .... ...... ...... ....... ... ......
  • dangaleldangalel Member Posts: 33
    Get these bugs fixed!
This discussion has been closed.