How we can help

theblueboxthebluebox Member Posts: 807
When you are in game and something unexpected or undesirable happens, you want to run to the forums and click "New Discussion" to vent your frustrations. In emotional times, we each want answers to our problems right NOW. That's human nature. owever, doing that becomes problematic. Let's be part of the SOLUTION.

HOW WE CAN ALL HELP

When you have something to post, take the time to do the following:

1) Don't automatically post in General No Man's Land Discussion; pick the right board for your subject.

2) See if someone has already posted about what you want to discuss. If you find one, add your comments there. Take the time to scan at least 3 pages in. Yes, I know you want to get your post made and get back to game, but there is a lot of traffic here, so great posts get buried quickly. Take the time to look through at least 3 pages.

3) Read the subrules for the board before posting.

4) If you start a new discussion, give it a descriptive title so that others know what your post is about just by glancing at it. Others that think similarly will join your discussion. "Fix This" is NOT a descriptive title. "Out of sync sound effects" is a descriptive title.

Some people seem to think that writing 20 posts about the same topic helps get changes faster. Honestly, it doesn't. It slows things down. Let me explain why:

The people we see with the word STAFF by their names are NG employees. They come into the forums to see what is being talked about right NOW and take that information to the devs so they can prioritize fixes and changes. Some of them are devs. They cannot hang out here all day and answer everyone's questions individually. If they did that, well, the game would never get fixed or improved; they would be spending all of their time here. No one wants that. They want to glance at the forums and get back to doing the real work of fixing and improving the game.

The people we see with the word Moderator by their names are mostly VOLUNTEERS. They play the game, have jobs, and VOLUNTEER 2-3 hours a day (sometimes more) to help assist with running the forums so the staff can do their jobs. When we create 80 threads about the same topic, they spend all of their time merging and moving threads. They have to clean up our mess so the staff can easily access what they need to know. When the mods spend 3 hours cleaning up our mess, then they have no time to answer our questions or participate in threads. Then, we get frustrated because they aren't answering us. So, we start an angry thread about how the mods aren't responding to us. It's a vicious cycle. We need to stop it.

That was easy enough. What else can I do to help?

If you really want to help the mods out, help them move and merge threads when you see something out of place or the same or similar idea that was posted before. This is how to do that:

1) DO NOT chastise the original poster. Do not be toxic toward the person. No need to call someone an idiot for making yet another post about a topic when you have read 40 discussions on that topic in the last 3 days.

2) If the topic is brand new but needs to be somewhere else, PM a mod and politely suggest a move to another board.

3) If the topic needs to be merged with another thread, first open another browser window and find a thread with the same or similar topic in the correct board. Copy that URL. Then, go to the first thread use the "Report" button. State that the thread could be merged with....Paste in URL.

Doing these simple things will help the moderators keep things orderly. They will have more time to actually answer our questions. The staff will be able to follow one thread to get all the information they need about one topic quickly, and then get back to work implementing the fixes and content that we have suggested.

DaleIRONDeeHeisenbergrgerkmanElunmieltembel[Deleted User]

Comments

• jesterjester Member Posts: 2,752
    This guy.
    ggbatsWalkerBait1
  • blynknzblynknz Member Posts: 1,988
    I would hate to see what the notifications look like for Teeceezy. The amount of post where people put his (?) name amazing. Even mid thread.

I think the mods need to make a few of the bugs posts as announcements so they stay at the top. Especially the roll back posts.
  • theblueboxthebluebox Member Posts: 807
    edited March 2016
    I tend to call Alibaba for help these days. Hope that this is sort of returning the favor.

I think people call Teeceezy because head mod. Sometimes, the other mods get in a quandry and have to kick it up to Teeceezy or TK. It's a "cut out the middle man" mentality.

For post move or merge, any of them can do it. Might get faster results calling someone other than head mod.
    edited March 2016
    Maybe we can have a thread of all the mods, admin etc. Potentially stating who they are/what they do/what they should be tagged in.
    Just so we know who everyone is
    I know Alibaba was tasked with merging the suggestions forum today. I am not sure that they each have specific responsibilities. If they are assigned to each forum, then perhaps a tag in the forum description would help.

Like if Zbot was in charge of keeping this forum organized, the Header would say "General No Man's Land Discussion" and Mod: Zbot to the right side.
    Yeah, I know that Alibaba was closing a lot of threads, but maybe there is an automatic process that closes threads that had no response for 30 days.
    I have seen a few that get resurrected for a month or 2 ago for no real reason.
    No. When a thread gets merged into another thread, the title reads at closed. However, you can click the link and participate in the thread that it got merged into. The discussions still exist and are open, but just not at that URL.
    Maybe they need a tag that says "merged" rather than closed?
    I'm pretty sure they were closed. They were lots of little ones where he basically said.
    "This has been fixed, thread closed"
    Sky
    OH, yeah. those are closed. When a suggestion is acted on, it is closed. When it gets merged, it also says closed. A little confusing.
    Just chatted with one of the mods. The open tagging for moves and merges isn't the preferred action. So, for a simple move, PM one mod. For a merge, use the report function. I edited the original post to reflect these changes.
  • First off @thebluebox I read ten pages without blinking an eye, remember, I only watch one tv show a week. Plenty of reading time.
    Second, I'm not positive but I'm probably 95% on making an original thread.
    Third, I don't recall seeing any devs as mods.
    Fourth, I believe they merge threads cuz they can, not because they have too. If fourteen threads about a stuck walker get posted and twelve get buried, they still saw two or more if they read several pages in as you suggested.
    Lastly, who the hell died and made you forum dictator?
    Just kidding about the last part, that's me being humorous, you should see my not funny side.
    Just trying to offer some constructive ideas. Lots of growling going on. Heck, I've growled a few times and get passive aggressive at other times. If you want, just read this as a passive aggressive post directed at those 2 or 3 I have seen that want to start a new thread about the same thing twice a day.
  • rgerkmanrgerkman Member Posts: 2,465
    Like some should've read this before posting today :joy:
    There Are No Such Things As Stupid Questions.!!
    There Are However.. Plenty of Stupid Answers!!

Rhonda
  • DERRICKDERRICK Member Posts: 329
    edited March 2016
    @thebluebox

I know you just wanna help, but if I see a textblock that big, i usually skip..

Cant imagine you would do different .. "like ever"

No offense..

Greetings
    ... .... ...... ...... ....... ... ......
    @DERRICK I have a BS in History. I read A LOT. I also got accustomed to turning a 12 page paper into a 25 pager by padding the words. Since I BSed my way through a BS, I have had a bit of a problem with brevity. Working on it though. You should have seen what it looked like BEFORE I edited it and took out about 18 sentences.
    Also, I am a freelance ghostwriter for magazines, blogs, and textbooks.
  • CapletonCapleton Member Posts: 441
    Too many rules...not enough post-apocalyptic anarchy.

And due to the famous internet half of the world is a freelancer nowadays (with all respect).

Have fun and kill zombies.
    Moriturus te salutat

Found his home in Asylum
    antjesterFizzyPinot
  • SenoiaSurvivorSenoiaSurvivor Member Posts: 528
    People, you can search the guild in about 10 seconds. I know I'm as guilty as anyone of posting or asking something that's already been posted. However *most* of the time I run a quick search. There will still be duplication because people word things differently. But part of the problem in finding if something has already been posted and buried is that people don't take a few extra seconds to check - post another. If you even have 10 people a day doing that, that's 10 unnecessary posts. This forum is in the thousands!
    Mods are just people, not robots. I agree we should do what we can to make make it easier to see the posts they need to see.
    Well written @thebluebox.

• FizzyPinotFizzyPinot Member Posts: 355
    @SenoiaSurvivor you read all that? Hats off I say!
    yay Z Nation trailer now out for new season!
  • @thebluebox I think the problem isn't the threads, it'd the sheer amount of people with no common sense.
    Sadly these people reproduce and live among us.
    rgerkmanthebluebox

Rhonda
    [Deleted User]
  • AysatyoPetAysatyoPet Member Posts: 1,168
    I have a quick solution to multiple posts:
    Try reading your notification first, then read all the recent discussions for the day. Comment on those you feel like commenting. These ease up your desire to write a post.
    And lastly and the most important thing, try having atmost 1 post a day..

that is clearly an impossible task @AysatyoPet :joy:

Rhonda
    rgerkman said:

that is clearly an impossible task @AysatyoPet :joy:

Which part exactly?

All of it hahah
    & It should say.. "It's clearly an impossible task for some" :wink:

Rhonda
    SenoiaSurvivor
    Nothing is impossible if you believe hard enough.. just have faith in yourself.. you can do it.. dont give up without trying it first.. ;)

rgerkman
  • lucifer6987lucifer6987 Member Posts: 3
    How do I turn off notifications, my phone keeps beeping when I have full life.

How do I turn off notifications, my phone keeps beeping when I have full life.

For android, In your device setting, go to application manager and click the no man's land app.. from there, uncheck the "show notification" box..