Weekend Event: The Gas Station

I posted something as a joke in another thread, but then actually thought about it. I think the game mechanics are in place to make this a workable weekend event. The idea is a bit long winded, so do your best to trudge through it. For those that lack the fortitude...

TL/DR Version: A weekend event where we get bankable gas cans to use at a later time when we are out of green gas cans.

For those that wish to know more, keep reading.

1) It has a setup similar to a star challenge in that it gets more difficult every time you go through it and follows the same level progression as current challenges. However, those that have maxed characters and want the challenges to start off at a higher level can choose "hard" mode and skip straight to level 10 enemies. The stages must be completed in order each round (you can't just skip to the end).

2) Create a special map (maybe near the cinema) called the Gas Station. It runs in 3 stages with 3 survivors in each stage. The stages cost 3 gas each.

Stage 1 - Tree Trap: The survivors exit a pick up truck. 1 has to clear a tree from the road. It takes 5 turns. The other 2 have to defend against waves of Walkers while it clears. There are walkers trapped under the tree that are freed as the tree moves and some that come out of random places on the map every 2 turns. Once the tree is clear, the survivors have to make it back to the car, and walkers start spawning at a higher rate every turn. Stage reward is recommended level x 1000 supplies.

Stage 2 - Ambush: The survivors encounter a road block. They have to kill human enemies and contend with spawning walkers. Then, they have to push a car out of the way (might have a surprise after the car is moved) to clear the path for theirs. Finally, another mad dash to the waiting vehicle. Stage reward is recommended level x 1000 XP.

Stage 3 - Gas Station: This is a Non-Deadly mission. A single survivor has to pump gas into RED cans at the rate of 1 can every 2 turns (I thought about making that every 30 seconds, but then people would never hit end turn and just sit there pumping gas for hours). The remaining two have to fight of increasingly difficult walkers that spawn every 2 turns as well. The RED cans are the rewards for this stage. When the walkers get too tough, the "pumper" gets in the car to end the level.

3) RED cans are bonus gas that stack. They never expire. We can use them to give a 50% +1 of our green cans when we run out. So, a player that has unlocked 15 green cans would get 8 when using a RED, and a player with 21 green cans unlocked would get 11.

4) It would be subject to a 1 hour cool down same as challenges.

What do you think? Improvements? Suggestions? Ideas?
[Deleted User]rgerkmanSpringChicken[Deleted User]Avalon8

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,344
    I think this sounds like an interesting idea but TBH this game is divided into 2 camps. F2P and P2P and the P2P players will not like this idea because they would feel it would give the F2P players too much of an advantage over them. What I mean by this is F2P players with no job (like myself) would have more time to both gather and use this "extra" gas opportunity than P2P (players with jobs) will have and this will lead to less revenue for Next Games due to player resentment and more player bickering.

Look at what happened as soon as NG released all 3 phone packs at once with extra phones tacked on. A notorious P2P player got upset because he was buying the packs all along and now better packs were being released for less money just as I became upset when NG decided to lower the prices on player slots after I had paid a considerable amount of gold to open several because that gave new players a competitive advantage over me by freeing up a considerable amount of gold to be used for something else.

Sorry to be a "Debbie Downer" about this because it is a very interesting and well thought out idea but this game just needs to many structural and community fixes ATM for me to ask Next Games to consider trying to pack on more new content.
  • theblueboxthebluebox Member Posts: 807
    Then perhaps they could add a feature to "top off the tanks". After the event ends, one could pay a few gold to turn the RED cans into Gold cans that fully reload the greens. I haven't paid for gas in a while. Last time I did, it cost me 36 gold to refill from 0. So, if a RED can gives half refill +1, then a half fill up (which you can't do now) would be 18 gold for me. Charge me 15 gold per can to turn them into GOLD cans that refill the tank completely. Basically, give the P2P players a 20% discount on what they would pay for a half refill if such a thing was an option. F2P players get gas they wouldn't have otherwise. P2P players get a discount for what they normally pay for.

I don't expect this idea to come to fruition any time soon. It's something that would need to be discussed, developed, coded, and secondary to major issues. I am just hoping they can do something workable with the idea and maybe see it by the start of the next season.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,344
    Well hopefully this idea with catch NG's attention and be implemented in some way. shape or form and more people will come in and comment on it. Good Luck :)
    [Deleted User]
    The camp screen is already getting crowded, so thinking they don't actually display red or gold cans on it. Maybe in the drop down where it shows you max capacity, it can have a little red and gold icons for those. Then, when you refill gas, have a click option to buy with gold or use one of the banked cans.

It's a heck of a lot of work to develop and implement. However, it would be a popular event (I think) that they can run maybe once every 6-8 weeks indefinitely. (Slightly less frequently than the increased epic/leg aka radio tower event.)

@DarkFae Thanks for bringing those thoughts in. I hadn't considered the F2P/P2P balance in the original concept. Things like that need to be considered. There are tons of ideas and suggestions that lack the impact analysis in these forums. Game balance is crucial when we come up with things we want to see implemented. The more we put into those thoughts, the less time the devs have to think about it (which gets them to the coding and testing quicker).

@eetu @Teeceezy @TK-421 IF the idea has merit and you guys do anything with it, I want in on the beta testing. ;)
    [Deleted User]
    Been thinking if a mini challenge with 3 stages is too much to add in for a weekend event, just put a gas pump somewhere on the camp screen for the weekend event and only do the last stage.
  • Not a terrible idea but a quicker fix that affects everyone is that any gas won in a crate should be kept as a bonus. If my tank is full or near enough and I flip three crates winning a couple gallons then watch the video for 3 more unlocks again winning more gas and then spend 25 gold to unlock the rest, why is the gas I essentially paid for not mine to keep?
    Oftentimes spending my TG's earns me gas which I can't use and I've lost my TG's.
    I am not seeing this as a fix. Getting gas from chests when gas if full is annoying, but luck of the draw. To me, this is a completely new weekend event that introduces a new means of gaining gas for use at a later time.

I don't see the gas limit being changed any time soon. When the tank is full, you can't shove more in. It just ends up spilling out on the ground.
  • blynknzblynknz Member Posts: 1,988
    No put technically you could find some gas canisters. They don't have to be put straight into the car.
    I think canisters that can be refilled with bonus gas is possibly a different suggestion all together. It could jump off of the weekend event idea, but I really don't see the devs going for it. People spend gold refilling gas. If they have a way of banking the extra gas from crates, they just won't be spending as much on gas. Also, it would unbalance f2p/p2p. There has to be a balance there.
    With 2 challenges a week, a lot of people complain there is not enough time or gas to do other content. People would complain about spending 2 gas on each of the missions.

An alternative to running the 3 stage mini challenge, here is a novel idea...

Our camp is clearly located near a town of sorts due to the buildings that form the back wall of the camp. We could do this as an on foot challenge. The event icon would be a gas pump located somewhere on the camp screen. Do not do the first two missions. Skip to the 3rd. The survivors start at the left of the screen. One has to pull a little red wagon or push a wheel barrow to a tank valve (you know there is no electricity to run gas pumps anymore, so the gas is in the underground tanks) side of the screen. The other 2 survivors defend as originally described. The puller/pusher takes 1 turn to insert a manual pump into the valve and prime it. Then, the pumper manually operates a pump (like an old fashioned well pump) to bring the gas out. When the walkers get too tough, the pumper clicks on the wagon to indicate completion. This lights an area around the wagon as the exit zone that the remaining 2 defenders must reach.