Any tips for a new player?

Alias81Alias81 Member Posts: 11
I’ve just started playing a few days ago and I’m liking it so far. I’m just level 12 at the moment and thinking on purchasing the fresh survivor bundle to give me a boost. But first im leveling up my supply storages to take full advantage of the supply restock that comes with the bundle.

What is the best approach from there? Where should I spend my gold on and what should be my main focus early on?

Comments

• masmith93masmith93 Member Posts: 3,512
    edited April 2016
    It's hard to answer what to spend gold on - it sort of depends on how you play. Generally your approach is smart - max storage before purchasing any bundle that contains full supplies. I would also wait on purchasing that bundle. The cost to upgrade buildings gets SUBSTAINALLY higher as you progress. Like, into the millions. So as a level 12, I would wait a while before making that purchase.

Have you read the wiki? There's a lot of helpful info in here: http://nomansland.wikia.com/wiki/The_Walking_Dead:_No_Man's_Land_Wikia

Here's another recent thread about spending money: http://forums.nextgames.com/walkingdead/discussion/8405/maxed-camp-without-spending-cash#latest
    Proud member of the Empty Memorial Club.
    WHMGTYSNNBC - Retirement Guild Leader
    Coming soon to Finland to hug Teeceezy.
    This space intentionally left blank.
    OneLessTitanSlickRick
  • Alias81Alias81 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for your reply. I have not seen that wiki yet. I will check it out.
  • SlickRickSlickRick Posts: 2,731
    @Alias81

Yeah @masmith93 is right...there are a lot of variables...but holding off the bundles (and there are several with supplies) as long as you can is beneficial.

Most people recommend saving gold for survivor slots or gas and that's probably the way to go...I wouldn't waste it on pure upgrades of survivors or gear/weapons...best thing to do is grind out XP doing XP missions...and make sure to NOT beat missions 7.4 or 9.3...they are great for farming XP
    You better check yo self before you wreck yo self...cuz I'm bad for your health, I come real stealth
    OneLessTitan
    edited April 2016
    Thanks. I will hold off on the survival bundle for now. It will not expire anyway as far as I can tell.

So far I only spent gold on two survivor slots and do not regret it. I got two epic characters as well. One bruiser on my first (tutorial) radio call and one hunter when unlocking the class. I'm curious to know if the game is programmed that way and everyone gets those or did I just get really lucky?
    @Alias81

The bruiser I'm pretty sure is programmed or at least it seems that way :) Good get on the hunter though...hunters are overly critical to a strong team imo

I think you'll get 5 (maybe 6) more bundles with full supplies...if you can hold off on doing them until you're like level 30 or so you'll be able to skyrocket your levels pretty quick after that...that's what I helped my brother do and he went from level 35 to level 45 in like 2 weeks or so.

And focus on leveling your survivors over gear at the early stages as much as you can...both are important but you'll get far more XP return for scrapping survivors down the road versus gear (as you get better ones)

And I would focus on hunters/shooters/assault/warriors/bruisers/scouts in that order as you go along and unlock more classes
    You better check yo self before you wreck yo self...cuz I'm bad for your health, I come real stealth
    stolen
  • sligoemsligoem Member Posts: 330
    Best I can tell from experience and reading the forum, survivor pulls on radio calls are luck of the draw (like the slots in Vegas). I until I was a higher player level to join guild or build outpost. In hindsight wish I had joined a guild early on (but still glad I waited on the outpost).
  • IllbrainerIllbrainer Member Posts: 461
    I bought the fresh survivor bundle at lv 42 I think. The tips given so far are the way to go. Came from awesome players!

And with your epic draws, think you had luck. I was really, really lucky when got 4 legendaries and one rare by doing 10 or so phone calls. Others here say they never got legendaries using hundreds of radios. (Make 15 radio calls only! imo)

Enjoy the Game!
    Leader of WEIRDnDEADLY! Keep Guild Weird!
    Member of the Empty Memorial Club- Elite Survivalist
    Founder of the Lucille Level 18 Club
    Thanks for all the advice. I’ve got a better idea on what to focus on now.
    @Alias81

If you ever have specific questions feel free to message me privately if you don't want to start a new thread every time...I never mind helping someone if I can...good luck!!
    Illbrainer
  • DaleDale Member Posts: 1,122
    Don't waste your money upgrading gear now. You will get better stuff soon and your survivors will quickly outgrow it. I know I wasted too much XP on this early on. :/
    edited April 2016
    @SlickRick: Thanks, I'll keep that in mind :)

@Dale: I've noticed that I get better equipment early on really fast. Right now I'm only upgrading my epic equipment and maybe some rare. But I still prioritize survivor levels first.
  • masmith93masmith93 Member Posts: 3,512
    @Alias81 FYI - In order to tag someone (so they received a notification), no space between the @ and the user name.
    Proud member of the Empty Memorial Club.
    WHMGTYSNNBC - Retirement Guild Leader
    Coming soon to Finland to hug Teeceezy.
    This space intentionally left blank.
    @masmith93 Fixed it, thanks.
  • HeidithHeidith Member Posts: 16
    Joining a guild helps give you access to better equipment via rewards. Youre welcome to join ours "Carols Cookies" We help each out a lot with strategy and advice. :)
    @Heidith

Great. I will do that. I find multiple guilds by that name. How many stars does yours have.
    Let me look
    3846, the comment section says "have some fun". Good place to start and learn. I am new too.
    Now its 3849. Lol going up.
    I don't find any guild with that number. I did find one matching that comment. Do you currently have 17 members?
  • OneLessTitanOneLessTitan Member Posts: 1,273
    @Alias81

Welcome to the game & the Forum!!!

Lot's of good advice here. This is my personal strategy. Some of this will repeat previous advice, but reemphasizing good information isn't a bad thing.

1. Be patient!! If you are in the game for the "long haul", think of the game as chess. You are just at the beginning, so keep an eye out for the future. Almost all of the survivors/equipment you have now will be useless after a month of progression.
    2. This game is all about your survivors. Hunters are beasts, so you've already started on a good path!
    3. Prioritize your upgrades.
    ----For buildings, always upgrade your Council and Training Grounds ASAP. Keep upgrading those farms, and upgrade the Mission Car so you can play more. In theory, the Radio Tent is an important building, but if you don't plan on doing Radio Calls, then you may postpone those upgrades a bit. Supply storage buildings will need to be upgraded at times to increase your storage capacity (and you were right thinking to upgrade those before buying the bundles). Buildings are the only aspect of the game that you don't grow out of, so always prioritize them early in the game. (XP tents are pretty much a waste, don't worry about leveling them once they get more expensive.)
    ----Keep upgrading the survivors you use. Don't bother upgrading survivors that never get used.
    ----You are on the right path with Equipment Upgrades. Only upgrade the nice equipment with good traits for survivors you actually use (mainly hunters), and I'd only upgrade Equipment when you don't need the XP for Survivors. You won't hurt yourself too much by upgrading equipment early, but when upgrades get real expensive, then you must really figure out what equipment really needs upgrading.
    4. Don't waste your Gold. Yes, there is a lot of free Gold in the game through challenges and other rewards, but if you're in the game for the long haul, save it up for Survivor Slots (like you've already done!) and you never know what else will be available for Gold in the future.
    5. Don't rush through the Episodes. Some may disagree with me, but I don't see the need to get through the Episodes ASAP. Gas costs increase as you progress through the Episodes, so you can't play as much. Personally, I stayed at lower Episodes and focused on Food Exploratory Missions to build up my camp buildings. When you get bored (or are ready for a new class of survivor), move on to the Episode. If you are easily beating Food Missions, play Deadly Missions. Completing Deadly Missions gives better rewards and there are some hefty Gold Rewards in your Challenges Menu that are easier to complete at lower levels. And if you happen to lose a survivor (it's happened to most of us), it's much easier to handle at lower levels!
    6. Take advantage of the Weekend Events provided by NG. Some events aren't very useful, but many are. Many players save their Radios for "Increased Epic/Legendary Survivor" Events. There is no guarantee that you will get the Survivor you want, but you have a better chance of getting a better survivor if you wait for the event.
    7. If you can, join a low-key guild. Playing Guild Missions isn't the best for rewards, but you can earn Trade Goods to use in the store. Prioritizing Guild Challenges is not the best way to build up your camp, but Trade Goods are a useful currency.
    8. Don't worry about Outposts. You can build your Outpost and start collecting Trade Goods to use in the store, but there is a next step to take ("Setting Up" your Outpost, I think) that allows people to steal your Trade Goods. There is no need to worry about this until much later in the game.

As for some Gameplay Tips, here are a few.
    1. Log in as much as you can. Even if you can't use your gas, if you can log in every 50 minutes to an hour to clear the Wall Walkers, you will slowly boost your Food/XP....not to mention your Radios and Gold!!!
    2. Utilize "Overwatch" with Hunters & Shooters. Shooting attracts more walkers. Keep your distance, and let your survivors shoot on their own. Only shoot when you need to or are on a mission that you are certain you will be safe on. Getting survivors injured (or killed in Deadlies) sucks; you don't want to waste gas because you have to wait for them to heal in the hospital.
    IllbrainerHeidith
    @OneLessTitan

Thanks for this clarification. Reading your tips makes me happy that I’m taking the right approach so far. I did not try any deadly mission yet but if the difficulty is comparable with the supply and XP missions then I will try them soon. Lately I was doing a lot of supply missions but I was thinking to complete the story to chapter 7 and unlock the warrior class. But maybe I hold off from that a while longer.

I was also holding off from building the outpost but it is good to know that people can’t invade me until after the next step. I will build my outpost now to start earning those trade goods.
  • OneLessTitanOneLessTitan Member Posts: 1,273
    edited April 2016
    @Alias81

I'd probably unlock the Warrior class if that's the reward for completing your current Episode. But, if you're having trouble beating those missions, just be patient and wait for a few more upgrades until you can easily beat them. Although if you plan on using Radio calls in the near future, having less Survivor Classes should increase the chance of you getting more Hunters (if you need them). I'm sure not everyone would agree to ease through the Episodes; it's just my personal preference.

And save those trade goods and spend them on the 500 cost Gold Crates. At worst, you'll get equipment you won't use and can scrap. At best, you'll get 4 Radios, 10/15/20 Gold, a nice bump in Food/XP, or possibly a decent Epic/Legendary Equipment.

IllbrainerSurvivor420
  • IllbrainerIllbrainer Member Posts: 461
    @OneLessTitan @Alias81

Print Titans posts, hang it above your bed! Really, really cool!

I might want to add: Only upgrade legendary and epic stuff, you'll get a feeling for this soon.

Survivor slots: I dont use all the slots I have. It's getting sooo expensive keeping them all up to date (spent 10€ on the game, lv45). I got my team for early challenges, Team for late challenges, team doing explorations and one for raiding. I play whatever fits to the survs that are ready to Jump in. Again, you will get a feeling for that soon!
    Leader of WEIRDnDEADLY! Keep Guild Weird!
    Member of the Empty Memorial Club- Elite Survivalist
    Founder of the Lucille Level 18 Club
  • Hittenyouoff2Hittenyouoff2 Member Posts: 226
    Good tip watch a lot of ppls videos which will help u a lot out with stragity... Especially against raiders well survivors (same thing)
  • SmittYSmittY Member Posts: 372
    edited April 2016
    Tips? Buy these:

OvidmikelSurvivor420
  • SmittYSmittY Member Posts: 372
    edited April 2016
    Tips? Buy these:

Add them to your account and pay when you start to twitch. Others will try to stop you. I don't take Chances anymore....

OvidmikelSlickRick
  • OvidmikelOvidmikel Member Posts: 965
    @SmittY lmao best advice I've seen yet lmao. Funny but true
  • tammytammy Member Posts: 1,716

You really just need these ;)

Xoxo
    LEADER OF RETRIBUTION GUILD
    Click here to join RETRIBUTION guild
    OneLessTitanDCBMETLadyAquilaOvidmikel
  • DCBMETDCBMET Member Posts: 392
    @tammy
    Those really need a wrestler trait on them.
    You almost had me fooled ha!

I am sure it has been said.
    Great call on survivor slots. You shouldn't need more than 19 slots including the outpost ones. After that gold should be spent on gas refills and openning extra boxes in niche cases where you have already watched the advertisement and you still have 2 gold boxes unopened.

I purchased my fresh survivor bundle when I had just emptied my supplies and boosted my council to level 12. This unlocks your final farm plot which allows you to springboard into other upgrades that much quicker.