All melee team still useful?

Smokin_Joe_BlowSmokin_Joe_Blow Member Posts: 97
edited January 2016 in Strategy Discussion
Prior to 1.5 I found that in certain challenge missions I could push farther with an all melee team (one of each) than with ranged survivors. It had to be a mission where there weren't very large numbers of walkers and that didn't have a high spawn rate of walkers such as from body piles. Hopefully there weren't many fatties. A good example of a mission like this was the deadly mission of the town challenge. The advantage of this team was that new groups of walkers coming on were very small. The disadvantage was you had to play at an overall slower pace than with ranged survivors to avoid damage so you had more waves of walkers come during the mission. This means the later waves would be substantially higher level than my characters. With a bruiser you could deal with them before. Now he is ineffective against them.

What do you think, can an all melee team still push farther than a ranged team on the right mission now that the bruiser isn't useful? If so, how do you deal with the higher level walkers that come late in the mission? I don't think interrupt kiting would be able to kill them quickly enough to be useful, though you could use it as a stall tactic. I suppose the scouts special could deal with those only 4 levels higher than yours. Let me know what you think.

Comments

• zbotzbot Legendary Moderator Posts: 6,474
    Don't bring a knife/sword/wrench to a gun fight.
    TUCOzoson
  • SlayerSectSlayerSect Member Posts: 634
    It will all depend on what type of walkers you are facing as well as the melee team you bring.

Have the Bruisers really sucks, but I still go all melee at times.

Play to Slay. Slay to live another day. Daily players. On and killing walkers as often as we can.

We need you! We want you!
  • Smokin_Joe_BlowSmokin_Joe_Blow Member Posts: 97
    Can you get farther with all melee than ranged is the question...if so how do you deal with the very high level walkers that come?
  • DreadDread Member Posts: 450
    ive gone 3 warriors all with max arc and absolutely destroyed.
    I also have a pretty beefy scout who can 1 shot some tough walkers when needed.

Eventually... the challenges get hard and getting 3 stars isn't really an option anyways.
    you crawl along getting 1-2 stars at a time and that's fine.

In these situations, the ranged really start to suffer because the power of their hits is too weak to survive.

tl;dr: mmmhmm
    As I witness the death of innocence... A predator feeding on its creation.
    Through the fallout of this hallucination, I walked into darkness.
    I must not surrender my god to anyone, or this body will become carrion.
    One step closer to my fate. One step closer to my grave.
  • LanceLance Member Posts: 568
    Warrior, Warrior, Scout (or a 3rd Warrior) can be better than all range team in some mission where you can not rush to the exit, and you generate a lot of high level walkers.

I would kept the bruiser benched.
  • CapletonCapleton Member Posts: 441
    edited January 2016
    Despite the fact that melee is nonsense in missions with burning walkers (which you have to kill) I use an all-melee-team for higher levels too.

But the bruiser stays on the bench...
    Moriturus te salutat

Found his home in Asylum
  • OwlkapwnOwlkapwn Member Posts: 168
    Honestly, I just don't use melee anything...ever. However, I'm mildly hopeful that in time, as the game grows and expands melee characters will become useful and even necessary. Aside from being useless, they're really cool and well designed tho
    Leader - The Owls Nest
    TUCO
  • aysatyoaysatyo Member Posts: 352
    one solution is to introduce the distractor class. distractors throw items like flare, alarm clock or anything that take the walker's attention away from your survivor for a limited turn. If a range survivor fires a weapon, it attracts attention and thus make the distractors thrown item useless. in this way, melee survivors will be a better companion for distractors as they dont attract attentions. making melee survivors more useful as they can kill a walker without getting the attention of other walkers.
  • docholiday87docholiday87 Member Posts: 17
    I use overwatch a lot to minimize zombies so that helps alot
  • PapaSmurfPapaSmurf Member Posts: 92
    I find the warrior class to be very useful. With max arc, I can take out 3-4 zombies in one hit; and with charged ability, 2 hit the big guys (as long as they aren't too high a level) or take out 2 groups of 3-4.
    I like Zombies!
  • SlayerSectSlayerSect Member Posts: 634
    @aysatyo I like your distractor, suggestion, but instead of making it a separate class, it would be great if all survivors had that as a turn option. Instead of attacking, using all their movement or opening a container, they could throw something. After all it's not to hard to throw that alarm clock.

Great idea!

Play to Slay. Slay to live another day. Daily players. On and killing walkers as often as we can.

We need you! We want you!
  • ConnConn Member Posts: 138
    My final stars on missions where always with a full melee team: Scout, warrior and bruiser. However now bruisers got nerfed, i think full melee isn't that viable anymore. Could still work, but only with like 2-3 warriors.
    Groupme Info:
    Name: Ralph (Conn)
    Email: [email protected]
  • HeadhunterHeadhunter Member Posts: 199
    Conn said:

My final stars on missions where always with a full melee team: Scout, warrior and bruiser. However now bruisers got nerfed, i think full melee isn't that viable anymore. Could still work, but only with like 2-3 warriors.

That's when the bruisers shined their best before the nerf was near the end of the weekly challenge missions when every attack resulted in a body shot.

Without the bruiser's stun, I don't think using an extra warrior in place of the bruiser can compensate enough for the loss of the guaranteed stun.
This discussion has been closed.