Monopoly, the board game

TheLostOnesTheLostOnes Member Posts: 3,032
edited August 2016 in Off Topic Discussion
@OldGoth and @Teeceezy do you play monopoly?

I play and so do a lot of my friends. It's a great game. It's time consuming, but fun because you can really progress.

As you know, the dark blue properties -- Park Place and Boardwalk -- are the ultimate streets to own. So I have always gone for those, as all dedicated players do. Even if it takes a lot of time and money to get there.

I remember how pleased I was when I first got them both and could start building houses. And then recently, I reached another milestone as I completed hotels on both properties.

But then something weird happened. The banker said he needed to change the rule to rebalance the properties. The dark blue streets had become too powerful, he said. Starting next round, there would be a two-house limit on Park Place and Boardwalk.

I became frustrated. I was going to lose my hotels. Wasn't one of the points of the game that some streets were better than others? You could dream of the best and with commitment, time and money you could get there.

A friend told me to just rebuild. I already owned two of the yellow streets and they would become pretty good if I got the third and built hotels there. I suppose he's right.

But here's the thing. If hotels on the dark blue properties can get banned, how do I know if the yellow ones aren't next? I wouldn't take any pleasure in building houses on the yellow properties, because I wouldn't know if they would be taken away next round. Would the investment really be worth my time and money if I would be uncertain instead of happy whenever I progressed by building another house?

So the question is, should I flip the board over? Perhaps. For now, I'm just driving around in a circle and collecting my reward every time I pass start.
I'm lost.

Check out the DMZ guild. We're recruiting. Here.
IfyourforgiveMrSorrowLightfeet[Deleted User]antmongo911masmith93InspTurbinesOneLessTitanpurfect247Pig

Comments

• DaleDale Member Posts: 1,122
    I like your analogy. It does have a teeny problem, though. Buying hotels, regardless of color group, is a bad strategy in Monopoly. It's better to own as many houses as you can, on whatever properties you can. That way, you will monopolize the houses and the other players won't be able to buy any.
    TheLostOnesInspTurbines
  • TheLostOnesTheLostOnes Member Posts: 3,032
    @Dale thanks, you may well be a much better monopoly player than I am and may be right.

I just prefer to kill off my monopoly opponent with one roll (landing on a Boardwalk hotel) rather than thru a lot of smaller hits (houses here and there).
    I'm lost.

• DaleDale Member Posts: 1,122
    Slow and steady wins the race. A house hog can stop everyone else from progressing and they will slowly go bankrupt because they are paying a lot of rent but don't have any income.

Have you done a cost / benefit analysis on the return of upgrading from 4 houses to a hotel?
    We're talking assaults vs shooters here, right? I'm sure you are right if you are up against more than just 2 walkers per survivor.
    I'm lost.

[Deleted User]mongo911
  • jesterjester Member Posts: 2,752
    Dibs on the race car.
    TheLostOnes[Deleted User]masmith93purfect247
    Ok @jester I assume that's the gas booster?
    I'm lost.

• CanadianMikeCanadianMike Member Posts: 202
    @Dale That's why we used to play with unlimited houses (yes, it takes away the sense of the game). Good ol' days when I was young :)
  • blynknzblynknz Member Posts: 1,988
    @CanadianMike, that's the way we played as well. But I was young and had an old set so thought that we were just missing pieces
  • blynknzblynknz Member Posts: 1,988

So the question is, should I flip the board over? Perhaps. For now, I'm just driving around in a circle .

You probably shouldn't being playing monopoly while driving. Maybe wait till you get home :)

mongo911InspTurbinesTheLostOnes
  • MovadoMovado Member Posts: 863
    Testing, testing....how come my comments aren't showing on forum?? Whats happening
    TheLostOnes