I know what you did

You changed the AI for interrupt for our ranged survivors. You made it so that they purposefully attack the second best target. I have now seen it happen every time that a walker was walking towards one of my ranged guys with 100% interrupt and my guy decided to shoot a walker on the other side of the room instead (it doesn't even matter if raiders are involved or not, this happens either way).

I know, I live by this stuff (I mean to say something else than stuff that also starts with an "s" but I don't wanna be "toxic" - just read it the way I meant it in your head). This is how i repeat levels. with ranged survivors lots of luck and interrupt. This is how I get over 1000 stars when I am feeling feisty some weeks...

now I know what NG devs are gonna think when they read this: "you are the .1 %, you don't matter, we can make our money from the 99,9"
that is true. but you won't for long. because there are a million casual games out there. it's the top players that make this game interesting and give people something to strive for. it's what differentiates us from Candy Crush...now you might say you wanna make Candy Crush, but let's be honest. those people know casual better than anyone else. it's not gonna happen. If you don't care about the top you don't care about anyone. Take away the competitive part of this game and it will die. mark my words.

there's some food for thought. Kappa over & out.

fyi: thanks for the 2 glenn tokens I was offered for my 15 phone call today. this kind of stuff makes us really wanna stop the spending freeze over at the GC *end of sarcasm*

mongo911Bill_ZRTInspTurbinesJonnydogMizTyEL34xyzAmazaynPapacasJapes87GreyWolf_IADeadBeatthot47[Deleted User]JulialiciousSynapseRangerLeon_UK

Comments

• theRealBendertheRealBender Member Posts: 1,251
    It never hurts to bring this up as it's another frustrating result of amateur game design IMO. But I will say that it has always been this way for me. I and others have asked it be changed months ago.
    * I put "hero" and "heroes" in quotes for a reason.
    ** Still on a spending boycott of equipment and gas booster and gold.
    InspTurbines
  • DLichDLich Member Posts: 5,526
    Ill have to test this tonight. I do think it's odd and have noticed in lower level challenges they don't go after the walker I expect them to.

Yeah shoot that normal walker 3 squares away and ignore the fattie 2 squares away.

It was irrelevant because Lvl 8 walkers hardly put in a dent. But in more aware now as I approach Lvl 18

| OG | NOC | USA | UK | CA | CQR | UC | RAD | ZEN |
    Other Leaders | Kick_ass | Pic | abailey362 | GunnerGaz | JMo2127 |
    MAVERICK'S 1 Million Star Club | OG | USA | NOC
    Analyze This with ALF4reals | v1 | v2 | v3 |
    | My YouTube Videos | My 1st Interview | Best Analogy Award!! |

Freemium... the "mium" is latin for 'not really'
  • Bill_ZRTBill_ZRT Member Posts: 1,369
    I have noticed this happening multiple times this challenge. I can't say for sure that it's happening every time or when a change might have happened (or even if a change definitely happened) but I have noticed this behavior which has caused my survivors to go into multiple struggles that shouldn't have happened had they fired on and interrupted (or killed) the closest target.

@Shteevie @Teeceezy @OldGoth Has a change been made here?
    Everyone’s got two wolves inside them. One is anger, envy, pride. The other…truth, kindness. Every day they tear each other apart.
    But it’s not the better wolf that wins. It’s the one you feed.

Contact [email protected] or send @Bill_ZRT a message to join DTP today!

edited September 2016
    InspTurbinesPig
  • Kappa123Kappa123 Member Posts: 203
    edited September 2016
    @OldGoth Thanks you for responding to this!

I am sure the interrupt is not working properly anymore. and it's not just once in a while. every time a fatty is walking up to a survivor with interrupt they will shoot some far away target instead now. it was never like that before this challenge. maybe it's got to do with the maps on this challenge or something?

TripodCelerysteveJAZZZMANLeon_UK
  • Bill_ZRTBill_ZRT Member Posts: 1,369
    edited September 2016
    @Shteevie @OldGoth

Thanks for the response. I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth, so I will ask... are you saying that although you're not sure what order enemies move, that the closest enemies should move first so they are the first eligible target and will therefore receive any eligible overwatch attack? And by 'should' I don't mean that it's necessarily a bug, but that you agree that it makes sense that this should happen (and as @Shteevie said, will check up on this when you have engineer time).
    Everyone’s got two wolves inside them. One is anger, envy, pride. The other…truth, kindness. Every day they tear each other apart.
    But it’s not the better wolf that wins. It’s the one you feed.

Contact [email protected] or send @Bill_ZRT a message to join DTP today!

eb23
  • DCNatsDCNats Member Posts: 219
    @Shteevie @Kappa123 is it possible that the normal walkers move first so that even if they are further away, if they are in range, they get the first shot? I always assumed the closest got the interrupt shot but if it is based on first mover, then maybe that explains it. I've noticed strange overwatch shots on the Dumpster mission but I haven't paid as much attention to it as Kappa obviously has.
  • ShteevieShteevie Staff Posts: 1,335
    edited September 2016
    It is my understanding that this [Bill_ZRT's described situation] is the intent - that way, a walker can approach you, get shanked, and the space can then be filled by another walker if it was close enough to get to you.

However, if multiple walkers are the same distance, or if they are different types, or if they are or aren't visible by your survivors, or if another walker is going to walk into a space where you might get to hit multiples with your overwatch attack... There are a lot of possible interactions that may be in play and not immediately obvious.

I respect your ability to watch and accurately report what you are seeing. I don't know if any of the things I mentioned have an effect or not, as I'm not perfectly knowledgeable about the code.

I don't promise a fast answer on this one, as we have more than a month's work to try and get into 3 weeks, but I agree that the game should be consistent and logical, and this sounds like a place that we can improve.
    Development Team Member - The Walking Dead: No Man's Land
    Please note: Development is a fluid process, and suggestions and implementation take time and iteration. Any discussion of future features, deadlines, updates, balance changes, and such should be considered prospective and subject to change.
    MadPuppyJAZZZMAN
  • EL34xyzEL34xyz Member Posts: 1,861
    You guys need to shoot a movie of things like this in order to have it analyzed and there for all to see
    Otherwise it's just "he said something is happening"

MadPuppy[Deleted User]InspTurbines
    @Shteevie thanks for the response. Because @Kappa123 is only seeing the issue with Tank walkers and he/she is always seeing it, it at least suggests that the code does treat tanks differently than regular walkers with respect to first movement (i.e., regular walkers move first).
    DLichMusat
  • MadPuppyMadPuppy Moderator Posts: 2,825
    I'd be curious to see this in a movie like @EL34xyz suggests. If only for me learn something. I never ever play that intense. I just go in guns blazing and hope for the best. :)
    Marleen83
  • Neil_JNeil_J Member Posts: 1,873
    edited September 2016
    The logical action would be for interrupt to cause the nearest moving walker to be the target, rather than the first to move surely.....
    “You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only option.” (Bob Marley)
    JAZZZMAN
    I agree and that is the way I also assumed it worked but @Kappa123 is seeing something different.
    I just tested overwatch and it only attacks a walker that's closest to a survivor that's moving.

If the walker (tank) is within range of hitting survivor A and doesn't need to move to do so, survivor B doesn't attack that walker it attacks another walker that's moving.

Is that the intention with overwatch?

I have a video I can post showing it

theRealBender
    Overwatch appears to attack the closest walker THAT moves; not the closest walker in general.

edited September 2016
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ns969g0q5umbdw/Video Sep 01, 5 23 24 PM.mov?dl=0

You'll notice tank at the bottom is striking distance without moving from Melinda and Terminator attacks someone else who clearly is further away.

*note sorry it's sideways, I'm still learning how to create videos.

@DLich Yes that's how it's supposed to work.
    DLich
    @theRealBender I never paid attention before lol. I only did this quick to see how the survivor would react. I'll try again next round leaving a gap :)

DLich said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ns969g0q5umbdw/Video Sep 01, 5 23 24 PM.mov?dl=0

You'll notice tank at the bottom is striking distance without moving from Melinda and Terminator attacks someone else who clearly is further away.

*note sorry it's sideways, I'm still learning how to create videos.

Well look who's making videos now! How come Melinda gets a normal name? :smiley:
    And hilarious you have a survivor named after yourself :D
    DLich
    Melinda is my wife :)

I wanted to get into this for a while but not sure how. Dud some research.

Btw I found a program that flips that right side up.

Corrected video here..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nqvb6ht2p1gt7fn/Video Sep 01, 5 49 09 PM.mp4?dl=0

The thread last week about music got me thinking I can maybe do this. Kudos to @Terminates for using my song choice and @painclasher for giving me some tips.

I'm still a far way off to being legit bit it's a start :)

theRealBenderrgerkman
  • blynknzblynknz Member Posts: 1,988
    Seconded, that they have to move to be attacked. Unaware that are just standing there, and walkers that are right on you will not get attacked (they might be hit while attacking a different walker)
  • HaiyanHaiyan Member Posts: 156
    edited September 2016
    I have to agree. Checked it just now. Also, there's this weird behavior where one of my assaults was in a crouching position because he's behind my other assault, similar to when a survivor is behind cover. I'll take a screen shot if i see it again
  • EL34xyzEL34xyz Member Posts: 1,861
    @DLich
    I can't watch dropbox stuff, it wants me to sign up
    I have no intention of doing that

Do you have a youtube account?
    DLich
  • CmlCml Member Posts: 75
    I have also noticed weird overwatch/interrupt targetting on the dumpster map.
    Survivor on overwatch decides interrupt a normal walker THREE spaces away instead of a fatty only ONE space away.
    This is ridiculous, wasnt never like this before.
    jesterBill_ZRTCelerysteve
    @EL34xyz I'm planning on making one specifically for content created purposes this weekend.

Being able to make videos is half the battle.

Being able to make videos people want to view is the other lol

I'll figure something out this weekend and post and get the ball rolling.

EL34xyz