I know what you did

Comments

• jesterjester Member Posts: 2,741
    I just watched two missions in a row on back alley. Both times, I only had level 30 regular walkers left. Both times those walkers were aware. Both times, my ranged survivors shot the one farthest from my survivors and let the closest walker attack me. So, yes. Something had changed.
    SlickRick
  • ATLAS-ZATLAS-Z Member Posts: 2,531
    edited September 2016
    The game KNOWS when you will Dodge an attack even before the attack happens, so Overwatch attacks the nearest "THREAT", meaning, the closest, soonest enemy that will otherwise hit you.

If the RNG decided the closest one will MISS you, Overwatch instead targets the next walker/human that would HIT you.

This is what I have perceived.
    Are you Lost? Alone? Looking for a killer team to have your back?
    Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
    Remember, search ZOMBREX SATISFIES. Check us out HERE
    EMAIL US --> [email protected]
  • jesterjester Member Posts: 2,741
    edited September 2016
    My guys didn't dodge on both occasions. Both ended in struggles.
    Bill_ZRT
  • Kappa123Kappa123 Member Posts: 203
    edited September 2016
    I believe you now that you didn't do this on purpose!

But something has most definitly changed because now they are shooting the farthest one away EVERY TIME.

So it's gotta be a BUG that slipped into the code. Please look into it because this is seriously very frustrating. Thank you!
    @OldGoth @Shteevie

MizTy
  • OldGothOldGoth Staff Posts: 297
    We'll see if we can dig up further notes on how the target selection and move order works. Again, we haven't changed anything, but it seems the system is behaving differently from what you guys expect to happen.
  • i812manyi812many Member Posts: 139
    @Shteevie "I second the affirmation that we would have to very deliberately make a change like this, and that we haven't."

can we get one of these daily from you?
    grammar: the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit
    antInspTurbines
  • EL34xyzEL34xyz Member Posts: 1,872
    Thanks @DLich
  • QB34QB34 Member Posts: 60
    I played 4 missions this morning and 2 of my survivors were using weapons with gold interrupt traits. The 3-4 times they fired from over watch it was at the nearest walker which just happened to be a fattie. So from that perspective mine seems to be working properly. However each time the fattie continued to charge at me! I thought the gold interrupt was supposed to be a 100% chance to stop them in their tracks? Am I confused on how this is supposed to work or is there a problem of some sort?
    MizTy
  • Conan1976Conan1976 Member Posts: 758
    Happend to me also several times, Back Alley lvl 30. Big bummer. Instastruggle
    Looking for a guild? The Den is the place to be!
    We bring the fun back! Game Tips and Videos! Common interest non-game related chats too!
    Everyone is Welcome!

Grimes Den & Dixons Den: competitive / different play styles
    Shivas Den: semi-competitive / relaxed Maggies Den: training and growth

Email us to make our home your home: [email protected]
  • DCNatsDCNats Member Posts: 219
    My experience is that if a walker is one space away, ranged interrupt has never stopped them and they get that attack in. I can't speak for meelee interrupt because I never use it. Gold interrupt should be 100% effective for anything it hits. The Dumpster mission is also where I have seen erratic behavior on which walker the AI decides to shoot on overwatch. I am big user of ranged interrupt both for outpost and higher level challenge missions and it definitely seems as though something is different on the Dumpster mission.
  • PoppyPoppy Member Posts: 1,146
    Overwatch was always was wonky from the get go, i have a 48k spectrum games thats turn based that has a better overwatch system than this game and its over 30 year old.

That was before the second faction of humans was introduced and overwatch now is simply not fit for purpose in its current state Nd need changing with more control over it,
    banner 1st draft

Still your only straight talking tell it as it is content creator for TWD NML, who needs a worthless badge follow me @ https://youtube.com/user/TrueMarvellous
    ... .... ..- - / - .... . / .... . .-.. .-.. / ..- .--. / --. .-. .. -- . -.--
    FLWilltheRealBenderInspTurbines
  • FLWillFLWill Member Posts: 71
    The Picket Fences challenge is a perfect example of what @Kappa123 is talking about. If you don't open the gate closest to the exit, you ranged survivors will still fire at the walkers above that can't reach, while allowing the closest walkers to make contact. I've done it several times with the same results. I've also noticed a bug on that challenge where my shooter wouldn't fire, and had to placed on overwatch (but that's another story). The lower walkers came around and hit my hunter, but my 2 overwatch survivors fired at a walker that couldn't reach them (Gate open or not). I know NG is working to fix several issues, so I hope this is included.
    ggbats
  • GrimGaelGrimGael Member Posts: 1,410
    Yes. I'm a big ranged interrupter too. I've really shaken my head several times on various maps over target selection. Not just those mentioned and for a long time. Usually ended with someone's face getting chewed on because they didn't target the one closing in to bite, but rather the one behind it. I play almost every mission accordingly. Also, some times, once one interrupt hits, the second ranged overwatch attack doesn't occur, even when it is in range. This may also be from ignoring grid square on pistols, I'm not sure it happens with two hunters. It's also something I factor in for every mission, so I no longer monitor when it happens precisely. If you do address it, please announce it in the announcement section or the release notes so I can adjust. Thanks
    MizTyDoTakInspTurbines
  • ShteevieShteevie Staff Posts: 1,335
    I'll continue to monitor this with the gang on my side, and the issue has the same priority I stated before. To my knowledge, the game doesn't consider whether a walker will reach you or not, or if there is a porous gate between you and the target, when deciding which walker to move or where to shoot when on Overwatch. It's all about the closest walkers moving first and the first to move getting shot. The issues you describe here will go into the pot with the others mentioned above in looking at the whole issue together.
    Development Team Member - The Walking Dead: No Man's Land
    Please note: Development is a fluid process, and suggestions and implementation take time and iteration. Any discussion of future features, deadlines, updates, balance changes, and such should be considered prospective and subject to change.
    GrimGaelJAZZZMAN
  • CelerysteveCelerysteve Member Posts: 56
    I've seen this twice today. Other people say they have been seeing it as well.

Is this just a bug or a new way to make the game harder by breaking it?
  • zbotzbot Legendary Moderator Posts: 6,453
    @Celerysteve , merged with existing thread.
  • JayZJayZ Member Posts: 3,171
    One level where I've relied on Overwatch a lot is the Dumpsters level. I actually have NOT had any issues with Overwatch. My guys have been targeting the closest fatties first, even when normal zombies are in range and moving towards me to attack.

Obviously, I'm just one user, and I'm sure other people are actually having issues. But I just wanted to let the admin team know that it's not broken for everyone (knock on wood).
    Elder in Legacy Eh, a top 10 global Challenge and Guild Wars guild
    PM me or visit this link to join the Eh family!
    Visit this link for my Distance and Challenge strategy videos
  • DoTakDoTak Member Posts: 1,964
    GrimGael said:

Also, some times, once one interrupt hits, the second ranged overwatch attack doesn't occur, even when it is in range.

This is something I observed a long time ago. My interpretation was that because the first shot rendered the walker unable to attack (even if it was still several spaces away anyway), it was no longer viewed as a threat to my survivors, so the subsequent ranged overwatchers wouldn't bother shooting at it. Kind of like how you won't fire on unaware walkers.
    QB34 said:

I played 4 missions this morning and 2 of my survivors were using weapons with gold interrupt traits. The 3-4 times they fired from over watch it was at the nearest walker which just happened to be a fattie. So from that perspective mine seems to be working properly. However each time the fattie continued to charge at me! I thought the gold interrupt was supposed to be a 100% chance to stop them in their tracks? Am I confused on how this is supposed to work or is there a problem of some sort?

Again, I remember asking forum members about this months ago. I haven't paid that much attention to it lately, but have definitely seen that happen where the walker can get overwatched and still move a step or two. I figured overwatch took away the attack, but didn't necessarily stop them from moving. Which is why it can be an advantage to initially move closer to a walker to get in extra overwatch turns while backing away one space at a time.

And specifically to this topic, from casual observation during this challenge, I'd say that overwatch works the way I expect it to some times, but have noticed for sure it doesn't all the time. You tend to notice these things when the walker one space away from you isn't the target of your attack. Believe that was on Picket Fences and luckily, I dodged so no harm was done, this time. Probably going to be extra careful with ranged overwatch now. Might be time to get the scout or warrior out.
    GrimGael
  • theRealBendertheRealBender Member Posts: 1,251
    @DLich @EL34xyz
    You don't have to have an account to see Dropbox content. You just clear the box that asks you to sign up/login.
    * I put "hero" and "heroes" in quotes for a reason.
    ** Still on a spending boycott of equipment and gas booster and gold.
    DLich
    edited September 2016

The game KNOWS when you will Dodge an attack even before the attack happens, so Overwatch attacks the nearest "THREAT", meaning, the closest, soonest enemy that will otherwise hit you.

If the RNG decided the closest one will MISS you, Overwatch instead targets the next walker/human that would HIT you.

This is what I have perceived.

I WISH
    ggbatsInspTurbinescrambert_nec
  • DaleDale Member Posts: 1,122
    Interesting approach. I use an assault to hit the raiders straight on then move a hunter so it can mow them down in one shot. Then move to the middle to stay out of reach of the fatties.

But, yes, that video does show the overwatch ignoring the tank.
    rgerkmanEL34xyz
    I wonder if a melee character's Overwatch would be effed up too .....
  • MadPuppyMadPuppy Moderator Posts: 2,829
    @DLich
    To my eyes all walkers move at the same time. One normal walker get's hit the two fatties ignored.
    But perhaps the game has an order (with a millisecond difference or what not) of which walker moved first, and that walker being the normal one.
    I agree that the tactical thing would be hitting the fatties first, so hopefully this can be changed.

Now that I am aware of this, I might pay attention to it in game.
    In situations like your vid I just hope and pray I'll survive... somehow. :)
  • CelerysteveCelerysteve Member Posts: 56
    edited September 2016
    Two had overwatch and 100% interrupt

No saviors. No eaters. No variables. Nothing.
  • UmfUmf Member Posts: 43

Both pistols with interrupt and none stopped the fat zombie.
    mongo911