Auto Center Issue a Moot Point?

In another thread, @Shteevie said:
"I think auto-center is much less of an issue if you play with the speed increased. I don't recall if we looked into it further. "

Well, if the lead on the dev team doesn't remember auto center being discussed recently, I'm thinking NG sees fixing auto center as a dead issue. To be fair, somewhere in another thread someplace around here, Shteevie also said that auto center can't be fixed easily because of how it was originally coded.

But here I am, xp farming this week's challenge mission "Getting Burnt" (again) and I can't stop thinking about Shteevies comment about auto center no longer being an issue in fast forward. I disagree. A lot.

So before "The Heavies" challenge ends, if anyone has any comments about how auto center is adversely affecting their game play even at 2X speed, please let NG know. And if anyone has videos of getting burnt in "Getting Burnt," that's worth an extra chunk of cheese fur sure ;)
InspTurbinesSgtSalamirgerkmanDeadBeatBarcodeJ

Comments

• InspTurbinesInspTurbines Member Posts: 706
    Auto Center in 2X speed has cost me quite a few stars. Not just in this challange but previous challenges and the story missions.
    FLWillrgerkmanDeadBeat
  • MizTyMizTy Member Posts: 1,335
    @Japes87 was gonna make a vid. I don't know if he just private messaged it to Shteevie or not...

I wonder if any other Content Creators have videos showing how auto-center continues to haunt game play even in fast mode...

@Terminates @Poppy @painclasher @DLich .... and whoever else I missed
    Ghostrooper
    I think what's bothering me (besides the fact that it's my birthday & I'm playing NML on another Friday night ;) is that whenever auto center messed with me I used to yell myself, "NG will fix it; it's on The List." But now I can't even console myself with platitudes :(
    TheLostOnesSgtSalamiInspTurbinesDeadBeat
  • FLWillFLWill Member Posts: 71
    Happy b-day @MizTy!! Hope it was a fun one for you! Please share your cake with forum.
    MizTy
  • DLichDLich Member Posts: 5,562
    Happy Birthday @MizTy hope you had a great day!!!

| OG | NOC | USA | UK | CA | CQR | UC | RAD | ZEN |
    Other Leaders | Kick_ass | Pic | abailey362 | GunnerGaz | JMo2127 |
    MAVERICK'S 1 Million Star Club | OG | USA | NOC
    Analyze This with ALF4reals | v1 | v2 | v3 |
    | My YouTube Videos | My 1st Interview | Best Analogy Award!! |

Freemium... the "mium" is latin for 'not really'
    MizTy
  • SlickRickSlickRick Posts: 2,731
    Happy birthday @MizTy

Get off the forum and go get wasted :p
    You better check yo self before you wreck yo self...cuz I'm bad for your health, I come real stealth
    MizTyTheLostOnes
    Lol. No can do, my friend, but thanks for the birthday wishes :blush:
    SlickRickTheLostOnes
  • Japes87Japes87 Member Posts: 1,399
    @MizTy here is a vid of Double Trouble and you can see a few times that auto center messed with me .. luckily it never made me run into a swarm , but I have many hospital stays and lost stars because of it. It is extremely annoying and I hope they can find a way to completely remove it . Thank you for making this thread :)

MizTySgtSalamiDeadBeat
    @Japes Thank you for doing the video! Maybe if we collect enough of them NG will see how AC can wreck your game whether you're using FF or not.

What I respect most about @Shteevie is that he interacts with us on the forums. A close second is that he cares about improving the game strategies. What I'm hoping this thread shows is that the more a player gets into the game (by developing specialized gear, or learning the art of Interrupt, or any other number of tantalizing strategies) we need the game to work as intended. (Ha ha. You see what I did there?) :wink:
  • ShteevieShteevie Staff Posts: 1,335
    Mea culpa!

I know the issue still exists. I will see if it is something we can add to a list of changes for 2.3.

Auto enter is meant to help new or casual players find their survivors on big maps. You can only zoom out so far, and players feeling like they lost their survivors is frustrating and should be avoided.

But I know that it's an annoyance when people want to play quickly, or when they want to make long moves across the screen. It needs work, but is not as vital as a crash bug, or an ads issue. So it will be added to the change list later on, or dragged back up from buried under other bugs.
    Development Team Member - The Walking Dead: No Man's Land
    Please note: Development is a fluid process, and suggestions and implementation take time and iteration. Any discussion of future features, deadlines, updates, balance changes, and such should be considered prospective and subject to change.
    ComanBarcodeJ
  • Pain WalkerPain Walker Content Creator Posts: 2,647
    @Shteevie A question outside the box: Is update 2.3 going to be the last one for this year? Probably released end of November beginning of December?

Probably making a video!

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/MultiPainproduction
  • PigPig Member Posts: 1,870
    Shteevie said:

So, we're at the level of "mild dislike" here?

I confess to a slight disquiet.
    Bad Pig
    Bad to the bone!
    The Notorious P.I.G.
    "I'm stuck in forum prison, and time keeps draggin' on"
    "I’ve never said I’m a perfect pig, nor pretended to be someone that I’m not."
    MizTy
  • ComanComan Member Posts: 55
    Shteevie said:

Mea culpa!

I know the issue still exists. I will see if it is something we can add to a list of changes for 2.3.

Auto enter is meant to help new or casual players find their survivors on big maps. You can only zoom out so far, and players feeling like they lost their survivors is frustrating and should be avoided.

But I know that it's an annoyance when people want to play quickly, or when they want to make long moves across the screen. It needs work, but is not as vital as a crash bug, or an ads issue. So it will be added to the change list later on, or dragged back up from buried under other bugs.

Autocenter is a completely useless feature, and lazy put into the game.

We have the survivors avatar on the left side of the screen. To me, as I was a complete nub not long ago (now I see myself as a lesser nub) it was alot more logical to 'click' those avatars to find the correct survivor.

Even now some change in frame-color to inform on survivors status on movement/health would be most helpfull.

I understand that TWD:NML is still young, and in develompement, but such small details make the ton of difference. And that goes for both newbs and old-timers.

MizTyPigMadPuppy
    Also, and dont hate on me for this fellas xD the autocenter (most auto is crap anyways) isnt very problematic in itself, but the way its put to use during gameplay.

My experience is with the survivor being all placed to the right side of the screen, while we have to move towards to the left. Moving one survivor which is highlighted (one will normally use one move, not both) then meaning to drag the next survivor same path will autocenter the screen, meaning the survivor will go the opposite direction. This is a disaster!

How can this simple code of selfdestruct not be put to sleep (autocenter when clicking on a survivor).

The excuse which is new players are helped by 'finding' the next survivor automatically is nonsence as we all know where the survivor we interact with is! We click on him/her, thus we know where he/she is.

Its not a 'lesser' issue, its a game-wrecking issue, as the new players dont have extras to fill in after heavy hospital-time is a fact for the next hour or more.

New players are more likely to forgive, and forget. Forget as in not bothering to pick up the game again after a few burns...
    MizTyPigWallStreet
  • RocketmanRocketman Member Posts: 227
    @Shteevie
    When you hit the settings icon on the top right you get the option to toggle the music and sounds on and off. Couldn't there be a toggle to turn auto center on and off? Default it on for new players like you say, then veteran players can toggle it off.
    If it is difficult to change because of the way it was originally coded, focus should be on not auto-center when highlighting a survivor. This is the critical issue gameplay wise.
    Other aspects of the auto center is just an annoyance, which is also very bad for a very repetive game.
  • bumshoebumshoe Member Posts: 322
    I created a thread a while back post every time auto center messes with you that got lots of posts. Might have helped the cause.

It still is a problem and exisists.
    When soft cap comes I quit the game.
    MizTySgtSalami
  • ShteevieShteevie Staff Posts: 1,335
    Auto center is something I want to fix [simply disabling is for 2x should be easy enough], while ICELS is something I don't want to repeat. So I'll leave you to speculate on how that may affect te chances that either happens. As usual, I'm not the decider; just one voice on a team of voices.

Auto center helps every player, albeit mainly in the beginning. The bug hits people more and more as they stick around, and doesn't cause a negative event every time it happens. The benefit * 100% of players is a big impact, and the negative events are also a big impact. We'll work toward the ideal situation where it actually works as desired someday.

Scheduling: you can never be exact, but it is possible we get to 2.4 this year. Both 2.3 and 2.4 would need to have far smaller feature sets in order for that to happen, but it could be that we get more bug fixes and trait improvements in rather than whole new systems or reworks. The challenge rework is still on the list for this year, if at all possible.

Thanks as always for the other suggestions. Once 2.2 launches, we'll take a few days to set priorities for the features for the next update or two.
    Development Team Member - The Walking Dead: No Man's Land
    Please note: Development is a fluid process, and suggestions and implementation take time and iteration. Any discussion of future features, deadlines, updates, balance changes, and such should be considered prospective and subject to change.
  • EL34xyzEL34xyz Member Posts: 1,872
    I play on 2X and still the screen moving on it's own is horrible
    The rotating screen when a kill happens is annoying to no end!

Just get rid of it or add a setting in the menu where it can be turned off
    Just like you have the Music, Sound effects, Blood & Gore switches, add another switch for rotate/autocenter OFF
    GrimGaelSgtSalami
    Quote shteevie: Auto center helps every player, albeit mainly in the beginning. The bug hits people more and more as they stick around, and doesn't cause a negative event every time it happens. The benefit * 100% of players is a big impact, and the negative events are also a big impact. We'll work toward the ideal situation where it actually works as desired someday/ end

I am sorry, Im normally not much of a complainer, but have the staff spent hours on end, days on end, not to speak of, weeks on end farming/rushing through event or just simply trying to enjoy the game?

Do you try to tell us none of us are new to the game, or have been so at one point?
    Is it hard to see that 2x speed is not the answer, but to simply not have the screen autocenter when we click another survivor.

I understand that the autocenter is an annoyance for quick gameplay, but thats not the case/terrible part as I see it. Making the view autocenter when you pick the next survivors move (try to drag him/her in position) and he/she wind up going somewhere completely different direction.

This is a game wrecker which have many times made me stop playing, instead of just spending more gold on gas-refills as I just dont want to spend currency on bugs ingame

Benefit * 100% players... You are basically telling us we are fools not understanding the game we spend hours on every day.

Ty
    VudnikSgtSalamiWallStreet[Deleted User]
  • JadenJaden Member Posts: 3,068
    I disagree with auto-center helping every player.

How is it helpful if the screen randomly moves around once you already tapped your survivor?

Tapping on their avatar picture to go to the survivor might be helpful to some players at least.

Moving the screen once you've already found your guy, tapped on him and want to move him or attack with him is helping nobody - unless you consider being eaten by walkers helpful. ;)
    Leader of Morbid Sinners and Morbid Spirits

Morbid Survivors are looking for you! If you are looking for a new guild, PM me.
    VudnikSgtSalamiWallStreet