Update 2.2 Discussion Thread (Combat Rebalancing)

Comments

• DoTakDoTak Member Posts: 1,964
    @nickc25
    It's mentioned in the combat balancing notes

But yeah, the interrupt change is very disappointing

• nickc25nickc25 Member Posts: 309
    DoTak said:

@nickc25
    It's mentioned in the combat balancing notes

But yeah, the interrupt change is very disappointing

Can't see it in the notes in the App Store but will double check... If so, I'll withdraw my allegation of fraud, even so, it's very underhand.
    Revolutiongamer is recruiting 200+ star players - search for Revolutiongamer and request to join today!

Join our guild chat with GroupMe!
  • OvidmikelOvidmikel Member Posts: 965
    @JerryDixon now in outposts I take more damage than the very before now the strategy for outposts is what @el374xyz uses as a strategy for out posts kill walkers run in grab the loot and hit complete try not to fire a shot boy that's challenging and fun dash and grab not fire a shot
    Top8dog
  • ShteevieShteevie Staff Posts: 1,335
    @PR0DJ
    It's when that one luck trait starts affecting multiple other traits that the value of Luck starts to show. As I mentioned earlier, if the reason to get luck was to increase the value of only one trait, there is an issue. In our testing, data, and the discussions here, it was obvious that Luck was primarily only used to focus on Dodge.

Add in the fact that Luck was adding more to the equation than the Dodge trait itself was, and it was clear that it was imbalanced. We could never have an effect that was super effective, but rare. we couldn't have an effect that occurred on a successful attack. It didn't matter what the HP or damage of enemies were at any level. Dodge + Luck made all of that obsolete.

So, now that every trait in the game that has a percentage chance to occur is affected by Luck equally, and you can have many of them all piled on the same survivor, it makes sense for Luck to have a smaller, but more widely distributed, effect.
    Development Team Member - The Walking Dead: No Man's Land
    Please note: Development is a fluid process, and suggestions and implementation take time and iteration. Any discussion of future features, deadlines, updates, balance changes, and such should be considered prospective and subject to change.
    JackBauerharudsgnzosonjimmorrison369MrSorrowKalord[Deleted User]mihaitopirceanuDrBOBPowerUKJapes87Top8dogsoggybottomsGrimGaelRick_ZKLambariAvalon8IntersolarAfewliveKaiserFragziesrmcn1031DeadBeatVudnik
  • DuckDuck Member Posts: 119
    It's always the same "blablabla this is for a better thing, you will see the logic next update"...
    Then it's time for building up the next update "blabla. positive. increased. Balance, positive.. Blablabla..

Then we get the same shit over again..
    Top8dogDeadBeat
  • EL34xyzEL34xyz Member Posts: 1,872
    This has already been whined about in several other places on the forum :)
    Yes, let's dismiss it as whining. Well done.
    Revolutiongamer is recruiting 200+ star players - search for Revolutiongamer and request to join today!

Top8dogAfewlive
  • JerryDixonJerryDixon Member Posts: 386
    edited October 2016
    @Ovidmikel today is day 1 so I'm not going to make my final "are the outposts better" decision today. However, even if dash and grab the loot is the end of outpost changes at least I'm able to get close enough to grab the loot. I could never even get to the a lucky-dodge loot crate on the old RF3 map. @Shteevie has done a helluva job discussing all aspects of the game in real time with us all. I have no doubt in his sincerity and quest to make the game fun for all and not just for the lucky-dodgers. Also looking forward to the rest of the changes that haven't even been activated yet. Probably will be a few weeks until we can get a valid holistic look at the new game changes and then come to a conclusion about 2.2. My opinion.

p.s. how is 45-50% lucky = luck? I wish they used that luck formula in Vegas. I'd start my own game company.
    Jerry Dixon
    JSS
  • EL34xyzEL34xyz Member Posts: 1,872
    You will get over it :)
    Top8dogDeadBeat
  • Shut_UpShut_Up Member Posts: 2,295
    You should join the conversation in the 2.2 update discussion thread. Lots of other things gone bad that you may not know of and a few good things too.
    nickc25
    EL34xyz said:

You will get over it :)

Yeah I'll get over it when I get a refund from Apple, shame I have to stop playing. Oh well.

Top8dogAfewliveDeadBeat
  • TheLostOnesTheLostOnes Member Posts: 3,030
    I'm lost.

Check out the DMZ guild. We're recruiting. Here.
    Shut_Up said:

You should join the conversation in the 2.2 update discussion thread. Lots of other things gone bad that you may not know of and a few good things too.

Thanks, I've had a look already but not posted. The other guy doesn't get it. They were selling a weapon with 100% interrupt a matter of hours ago and then change it, its dodgy business practices. Most of the time it's a level 19 player you're against and the interrupt still doesn't work because it's a body shot.

Top8dogAfewliveDeadBeat
    I've spent in total $500 on the game and 80% of my weapons are 100% interrupt based. If they wanted to stop repeatables, change it, not change the gameplay. All that time and investment is now worthless. People say against high levels but it was just against a level 19 then and interrupt worked 30% of the time.

They were also selling a weapon with 100% interrupt a matter of hours ago, knowing it would be changed, the vast majority of players don't use this forum. That's fraud. Simple. Refund from Apple requested.

mihaitopirceanuAfewlivesrmcn1031
  • Neil_JNeil_J Member Posts: 1,873
    Makes you glad to have hardly spent any money at all........

I've read all the comments - in fact I've read more than I've played today - but I'm feeling pretty relieved I haven't invested heavily judging by what I've read.
    (Although in truth, having spare cash for games is not an issue anyway)
    “You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only option.” (Bob Marley)
    Top8dogGrimGaelRedEye52
    Shteevie said:

The Interrupt change was made to bring it back in line with the power level and challenge that we want for the high-level content in the game. It's still going to work most of the time until you are facing enemies far above your level. Those enemies should be scary, and require a variety of traits, different tactics, and concentrated focused attacks to defeat. With 100% interrupt, a player could execute a routine pattern of moves and often face no danger from the enemy at all. This was repetitive, applied to most every mission, and circumvented many of the challenges and scenarios we had made.

Now, you will still be able to interrupt those enemies occasionally, but it will come with risk, tension, and might require some good RNGs to get you out of a tough situation. This much more accurately fits the feel of the show, and is what we want payers to experience at the top levels of the game.

The same can be said for luck and dodge. They worked so often that they nearly eliminated risk for much of our content, and were extremely frustrating in Outpost play. Outpost isn't the only end-game content we have, but it is a concern for us that the game mode not be completely imbalanced.

Concussion changed along with the others because, once Dodge was set to reasonable levels, stun-lock was very likely the best strategy in the game. It, too, is very frustrating to play against, and goes a long way toward making many missions risk-free.

I think you might find that the buffs we made are quite valuable in the new balance environment, in light of the other changes that were made. We know that adjustment takes time, and that many or most players had adopted risk-minimization strategies. We increased the XP income in order to make it easier to level up new gear and survivors, and buffed the Heroes to make them a better choice for your teams. You'll see the changes to the TG rewards tomorrow, but I can tell you now that we tried to make sure that most players would end up with more TG than before, even if they couldn't reach the same enemy level, because we know that the content is harder to defeat.

There are some bugs that slipped through, and we'll be concentrating on them in the next few weeks. Scavenge gas costs for end-game players was one of them, and I personally apologize for that one. That was my flub, and I'll see what we can do to bring the rewards in line with the new costs. The weird half-change to the Outpost map was another that we didn't see in our internal testing. That kind of bug is not to our standards, and we'll see what we can do to fix that ASAP.

It's our goal to make this the best game we can for everyone, and I stand behind the work we have done - warts and all - and say that I think we have made a big step in that direction. We've collected a lot of feedback not just from today, but also the pre-update thread, and we're already planning the next two updates.

I will say that, as far as I'm concerned, the future updates will be able to be much more focused on improving the poorest traits through buffs, adding rewards, eliminating player complaints, and bringing in more content. Assuming that our planning holds, I don't see a need to diminish any of the traits or player abilities in the next [hopefully very long] while. So while it's true that the missions are harder than they used to be, I hope that the challenge and tension are as fun for you as they are for me when I play or watch the show.

I just faced a level 15 player. 100% interrupt only worked 60% of the time then too. But higher level enemies, donyou mean level 2 enemies?

• PicPic Member Posts: 908
    Absolutely rubbish, nerf luck and interrupt instead of capping a mission. Zero sense
    DLichMrSorrowAfewlivesrmcn1031
    Shteevie said:

@BarcodeJ
    We want you to level up more than 1 or 2 teams worth of survivors - which you can do for free.
    We want you to experiment with different builds and not throw out any gear without one specific trait - which you can do for free.
    We want you to have to put thought into play, and not rely on guaranteed risk-free tactics to proceed - which you can do for free.

Nothing in this update or the last was made with the express purpose to somehow 'force' players to spend money.

I have 35 survivors who are level 19. It was not free. It was $500+

AfewliveVudnik
  • PapacasPapacas Member Posts: 416
    @Shteevie i do appreciate your posture and energy. I really do. I just cannot agree when you say that soon other traits will be improved. Why nerf some first and improve others later? Doesn't add up.

Also, can anyone explain why normal missions ask me for L21 survivors and not 20? I asked this like 3 times today...
    TheSittingDuckjimmorrison369Afewlive