Trait question

QB34QB34 Member Posts: 60
Been wondering this for a while.... In outposts after you open the gate what trait allows a defender ranged attack to pop a cap in your ass as soon as you poke your head around the corner? It's not retaliate because I haven't even fired a shot yet. They get to shoot me on my turn before my attack takes place and then shoot me again on their turn. Any insight here is much appreciated

Comments

• EL34xyzEL34xyz Member Posts: 1,863
    I think it is because the ranged weapon defenders are set to Offense
    QB34MizTy
  • QB34QB34 Member Posts: 60
    That makes sense
  • MovadoMovado Member Posts: 863
    edited October 2016
    Ironically, it's "Interrupt" trait by the Defender upon seeing you in their line of sight. But it also means you didn't poke your head around the corner on the same turn as opening gate since defenders don't have any first-turn-advantages.

It's not because of "Offense" setting. Offensive/Defensive/Stationary is only how they move and whether they prioritize 'cover' versus throwing caution to the wind
    QB34[Deleted User]
    On rf3 map I open gate with one survivor then move the other 2 to the edge of the wall so that I have all 3 available to attack when I turn the corner.... It's on the second turn when I round the corner with a half move to see where the defenders are I get kablooeyed before getting my first shot off
  • zosonzoson Member Posts: 2,216
    Movado said:

Ironically, it's "Interrupt" trait by the Defender upon seeing you in their line of sight. But it also means you didn't poke your head around the corner on the same turn as opening gate since defenders don't have any first-turn-advantages.

It's not because of "Offense" setting. Offensive/Defensive/Stationary is only how they move and whether they prioritize 'cover' versus throwing caution to the wind

Unless this changed in 2.2, defenders never attack you unless they have already seen you. So as long as you open the gate and there's no line of sight, you can just end turn, and get to move all 3 of your survivors on the next turn without worrying about overwatch/interrupt.

Normally I would defer to your outpost expertise, but I am 110% sure this was the behavior in 2.1. I haven't played any outposts yet in 2.2.
    QB34jimmorrison369Shut_Up
    This is nothing new in 2.2 it was happening well before this update just with all the discussion on combat rebalancing it sparked the question in my mind. And that's the thing... They attack as soon as they see me turn the corner. But it's not every defender or every outpost which makes me think it's a trait or a setting as mentioned earlier. I wish I knew how to video my gameplay so I could show what I'm talking about
    @QB34 that's what I meant by you turning corner on second turn, which matches your own description. If hypothetically one of your survivors turned that corner on your first turn, even 100% interrupt defender wouldn't be able to fire at you. But once your initial turn ended, then your second turn (i.e. moving attacker around the corner) put you in sight of an interrupting defender.

Just to clarify, when I'm referring to "first turn," that means same turn as opening gate, not the turn after gate opens.
    @Movado That's simply not true and I'm shocked you don't know how the mechanic works.
    https://www.twitch.tv/zoson_tv/v/72792428
    Fast forward to 2:49 and you will see me open the gate, move two of my survivors(while keeping out of line of sight) ending turn, then moving in and NOT getting shot.

I just played an outpost and this behavior is exactly the same.

Enemy outpost defenders will only overwatch if they have already seen you.
    Ahhhhh gotcha. Sorry I didn't pick that up the first time you said it....
    edited October 2016
    @zoson but that doesn't show what % degree of interrupt traits at all those defenders had when you turned, if any. Your video seems to illustrate more a concept of "Overwatch" rather than pure "Interrupt" weapon trait. I've been interrupted before even though no prior sight on defender nor me. Some of the outpost maps notorious for this are that "maze" one in rural fields, or the one where they hide defender in which we cannot see them until turning and/or dashing to TG.
    Movado said:

@zoson but that doesn't show what % degree of interrupt traits at all those defenders had when you turned, if any. I've been interrupted before even though no prior sight on defender nor me. Some of the outpost maps notorious for this are that "maze" one in rural fields, or the one where they hide defender in which we cannot see them until turning and/or dashing to TG.

Interrupt chance isn't the issue here. Being able to overwatch without seeing you is. If what you're saying was true, I would have been shot when moving into position on turn 2. But I wasn't.

My video literally 100% disproves what you are saying.

Defenders will not overwatch unless they have already seen one of your survivors. If you were getting shot, you stepped into line of sight alerting them to your presence.

Until someone shows a video where it happens the way you describe, you should accept the proof laid out in front of you. It's ok to be wrong even though you're one of the most prolific PVPers. Just use this knowledge to your advantage now.
    edited October 2016
    I'm not particularly interested in a debate, I'm mainly stating that attacker can be interrupted while moving into line of sight from defender. It's happened to me multiple times (and apparently to the OP on this thread too).

Distinguishing between overwatch concept, versus Interrupt concept.

Perhaps in your video defenders didnt have interrupt trait weapons, so their overwatch is after line of sight only. Not the same as if they had interrupt weapons
    jimmorrison369zoson
    Movado said:

I'm not particularly interested in a debate, I'm mainly stating that attacker can be interrupted while moving into line of sight from defender. It's happened to me multiple times (and apparently to the OP on this thread too).

Distinguishing between overwatch concept, versus Interrupt concept.

Perhaps in your video defenders didnt have interrupt trait weapons, so their overwatch is after line of sight only. Not the same as if they had interrupt weapons

And I'm clarifying the mechanic for you. You are incorrect. The only time a defender will ever overwatch(and thus get the ability to interrupt you) is if they have already seen one of your survivors. I have VOD's saved on twitch where I did hundreds of raids and I attacked every single person I was offered. What you're saying has literally never been a thing, and having interrupt or not doesn't change the mechanic. You're just wrong, and that's ok as long as you learn from it.
    jimmorrison369
    Movado said:

But it also means you didn't poke your head around the corner on the same turn as opening gate since defenders don't have any first-turn-advantages.

Did I understand what you said @Movado

I always poke my head around the corner after opening the gate
    And I get shot at once in a while doing this.

this is my gate opening routine:
    Bruiser opens the gate, scout takes a peek while assault waits behind to stun if needed

Top8dog
    Don't know about this with the new update?

I was just saying that I did get a poke with a ranged weapon every once in a while before 2.2
  • crambert_neccrambert_nec Member Posts: 1,350
    Every single time I've encountered that (now deceased) RF3 map I moved exactly how @zoson did and that video and have never been shot at or interrupted on my second turn. I have had that issue in other maps like OP described, but that's probably due to them having prior sight of my survivors.
    Leader of WATCH TOWER RoD
    zoson
    So another question... How do you video your raids? I'd like to start doing that in case I have future questions there is a visual to aid in the search for information
    General_Pain
    edited October 2016
    On android, I use AZ Screen recorder, it's a very nice program and free
    here's is the link on Play Store
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hecorat.screenrecorder.free

This is how it records through my tablet using the built in microphone

[Deleted User]psychwolf
  • TerminatesTerminates Content Creator Posts: 934
    @QB34 @stuffnthangs

Thanks for tagging me ;)

I am an android girl, so I use something call AZ Screen Recorder which you can get for free from googleplay.

I am not sure what people use for apple, but I am pretty sure there are apps you can search for in the apple store that might help you :)

Need some visual stimulation?
    Click HERE to view my Youtube channel. Watch for quick updates and early announcements regarding our beloved TWD NML game.
    Join the EH family and party with me!
    EL34xyz[Deleted User]MizTypsychwolf
    edited October 2016
    If you're on apple you need to either be jailbroken(to use something that records locally on your device), or you need to use PC software that's an airplay receiver, airplay to your pc and then record.

For recording iOS I use LonelyScreen.

Edit: I just want to say that nothing bothers me more than people making unsubstantiated claims with no evidence after I have provided evidence to the contrary. Frankly, unless you have actual video evidence of this happening, you shouldn't even be stating something as fact. You're just misleading people.

If you were shot, they had line of sight on you at some point. End of story. I'll remind you that some maps had a bug where you could be spotted before you opened the gate. That's the ONLY way this could happen, and it was a bug that has since been fixed.
    Necroboogie
  • NecroboogieNecroboogie Member Posts: 1,108
    @zoson That's the way it's SUPPOSED to work, but obviously isn't all the time and even once in a million doesn't justify you saying they're misleading people. Get the chip off your shoulder.

Lmao to say you need video evidence for every occurrence to have happened or be true. I've had it happen to me but know it's a bug and don't care, quite frankly because I don't like or play outposts regularly or much at all to be honest. Even today while I played a few times in outposts I've seen defenders exposed through the walls and light streams moving as my survivor ran along wall.
    [Deleted User]zoson
  • zbotzbot Legendary Moderator Posts: 6,440
    Moved to bugs for now. Let's keep things civil.

To all please follow the rules of the forum:

Treat fellow forum members with respect. This means no:
    - Flaming
    No verbal attacking of other players
    - Trolling
    Don’t provoke your fellow forum users.

Again, this will be the only warning issued on this thread.

@zoson That's the way it's SUPPOSED to work, but obviously isn't all the time and even once in a million doesn't justify you saying they're misleading people. Get the chip off your shoulder.

Lmao to say you need video evidence for every occurrence to have happened or be true. I've had it happen to me but know it's a bug and don't care, quite frankly because I don't like or play outposts regularly or much at all to be honest. Even today while I played a few times in outposts I've seen defenders exposed through the walls and light streams moving as my survivor ran along wall.

That's the thing, I do play quite a bit of outposts. It never happens. Never. I was able to pull the *one* clip that I highlighted of a high level outpost after 2.1 came out to demonstrate the way the mechanic works. I didn't create that highlight for this. You can see when it was created.

They are stating that there is a mechanic that allows defenders to get overwatch on the first turn after the gate was opened. They should either show it, or understand the mechanic well enough to tell others how to reproduce the behavior. Hell, I would LOVE it if you could get overwatch on the first turn. That would be game changing and completely broken. I would take advantage of the mechanic as much as possible.

But again, the simple fact is that it doesn't happen, can't happen, and only used to happen when there were specific maps bugged so you could be spotted before opening the gate. This isn't a matter of me having a chip on my shoulder, it's simply a matter of me knowing how the mechanic works because I've invested time in understanding it.

These people are 'peeking' which reveals themselves. As in moving in, getting a look, then moving out of line of sight. They have said it themselves. There is no bug here, and no mysterious changing of behavior based on any sort of defender traits.
    [Deleted User]Necroboogie
  • psychwolfpsychwolf Member Posts: 1,111
    I wish I could just play this game on my computer :|
    Sorry, off-topic, but the recording part got me thinking.
  • NecroboogieNecroboogie Member Posts: 1,108
    Again, I saw maps today in outposts that defenders were uncovered before I opened gate and a couple of other times where the shadow on the other side was broken as my survivors went along wall before gate was open. Both of these occurrences could (and have) cause(d) a defender to go into overwatch.

I don't remember if it happened while I was playing today (defenders going into overwatch), or really care as far as that goes, because I'm not interested in influence, as well as other reasons.
    zoson
  • blynknzblynknz Member Posts: 1,988
    edited October 2016
    Nevermind
  • General_PainGeneral_Pain Content Creator Posts: 2,461
    @QB34 Hi If you are an IOS user and have a Mac then Apple has implemented a 100% free recording software. It's called QuickTime player and you need to connect your device with mac via lightening cable. This allows you to mirror your device's screen and then record it. I record footage, game audio and voiceover all at the same time. Cheers
    Thanks for the info. I am an iOS user but don't even own a pc anymore so I guess recording is out for me lol

Again, I saw maps today in outposts that defenders were uncovered before I opened gate and a couple of other times where the shadow on the other side was broken as my survivors went along wall before gate was open. Both of these occurrences could (and have) cause(d) a defender to go into overwatch.

I don't remember if it happened while I was playing today (defenders going into overwatch), or really care as far as that goes, because I'm not interested in influence, as well as other reasons.

Again, heresy until you supply evidence. The onus is on you to prove what you are saying, since I have already provided concrete evidence that shows that you are incorrect.

And it's not just me being a jerk, NG has no reason to believe what you are saying, and definitely won't care to investigate this since you have no proof. It's your word, without evidence, vs my video. The video will win every single time.