Working Together To Repair The Game...NML Guild Council Intent

Comments

• ShteevieShteevie Staff Posts: 1,335
    Just adding a note that we are reading every post in this thread, and I am trying to read all the feedback for all the features that I can on the forums.

My lack of responses here in the last few days has not stemmed from a lack of engagement with the thread, but an expectation of the response I will get. It doesn't help either side for us to repeat our stances when they have not changed, and I am moving on to discussions [that the GC is welcome to and has participated in] that look to future development and feature prioritization.

We very highly value the feedback from the players, whether or not they are on the GC. We understand that the GC tries to speak for all of the players in their guilds, and as such each poster here represents many players, in theory. However, it's impractical to assume that every decision we make will fit exactly in with the desires of the GC, or with any single player or developer. Building the game is a team effort, and maintaining a relationship with the players is also a team effort. Those teams have a shared broad goal, but will naturally disagree on execution or specifics from time to time. In some cases, it has been difficult for some agents to give the other members of these teams the benefit of the doubt that these goals remain aligned, and therefore it is less likely that continued discussion on the same topics will be fruitful. And so I move on to other topics.

If I expect you all to immediately approve of every idea I or we have, it would lead to a lot of confusion, and maybe some bad ideas being implemented. If the GC expects us to adopt all of the suggestions and implementation specifics they propose, it would likely have unexpected consequences to our bottom line, or our development schedules, or our approval by non-GC players.

This relationship works when it is not overly reactive, overly cynical, or overly naive. This goes for both sides - I'm counting myself in that judgement. I see many GC members here who, while in disagreement about some changes, accept that others are positive. I would like to express again that there are many improvements to the game that have already been made because of GC conversation [even if I didn't respond to the particular comments], and I plan to continue reading and collecting opinions, and replying when it seems like it would be productive to do so.

To point: I'm still here, and your positive and negative opinions are all being heard and noted. But we do retain the authority over the game to make the changes that we think improve it the most, and it's up to us to make the hard calls and accept responsibility for them. How we want to continue this dialogue is up to each of us, as individuals, and as a team.

[It seems more necessary than usual to restate that this post is Steve talking, only one of the many people who make up the NG team.]
    Development Team Member - The Walking Dead: No Man's Land
    Please note: Development is a fluid process, and suggestions and implementation take time and iteration. Any discussion of future features, deadlines, updates, balance changes, and such should be considered prospective and subject to change.
    Eire1916
    I agree that the players aren't - and in many cases, cannot - be privy to all the behind-the-scenes operational info. As I have said before, though, none of the changes have been made with the express interest of selling more to players. We believe the key to good games is to make good games - not big storefronts. Other games have failed because they sold too much or too strongly, and also because there wasn't enough to buy, or enough motivation to do so. For what it's worth, I have never changed a feature or edited a drop rate in order to make more sales. The facts that nearly every item in the game is available for free with effort, and that the most powerful items are not directly sold all the time, should point out what our philosophy on sales is.

We could push those items harder, or invent a 'Legacy' interrupt that was only on new IAP items, but neither is even remotely on our to-do list, because they don't fit our ethics. I've seen a lot of "I just got Rick from Episode 1 tokens" on the forums, and I'm not even a little sad about lost sales. Rather, I'm excited that players are unlocking the character for free, and also a little sad that I haven't gotten his Leader Trait buff in the game yet.

If you assume we're just in it for short-term cash grabs, then I guess you'll just have to see how things go and make that call. Personally, though, I'd much rather win over your couple of bucks here and there over a long period than snatch your one buck now and run.
    Please note: Development is a fluid process, and suggestions and implementation take time and iteration. Any discussion of future features, deadlines, updates, balance changes, and such should be considered prospective and subject to change.
  • jotajota Member Posts: 62
    Shteevie, with all due respect do you really expect anyone to believe that most changes implemented are not made with "the express interest of selling more to players"? I still remember when upgrade times were a 5 seconds wait, when bruisers could stun walkers of any level, shooters could shoot all the way across the map and more recently when interrupt prevented my army from spending most of their time in the hospital. All these changes make the game more and more of a grind, we know that people spend their money in these kind of games because they want to avoid the grinding and get results faster. And that's ultimately ok, NG is a business after all, but... there are some changes that affect profoundly the core game play, the strategic elements that people have relied for so long and that in my case brought me to this game so long ago. This game is feeling more and more like a button pusher like so many other "F2P" mobile games.
    [Deleted User]Top8dogWallStreet
    @jota
    Well, yes, I do expect them to believe me. I was there when the discussion was made, and the topic of sales didn't come up at all.

And if you aren't going to take my word for it, what good is this discussion thread? We're all here out of a sense of good will for one another, so we should act that way.
    GrimGaelMadPuppyWallStreetSurvivor420
  • tammytammy Member Posts: 1,716
    @Japes87

I guess at this point I'm just tired of my game being crippled in some way, every time they update it. I'm not talking about the bugs...they are preventable with proper testing...I mean the stuff I'm working on...often the gold interrupt trait was last, so I spent my time and $ upgrading through other traits to get to it...now I have no confidence in upgrading any gear when it could be nerfed. :(

Xoxo

Ps..thank you! Most of my jewelry is sold in markets by other peeps cos I'd rather spend my time making it, than sitting in a market shop all day...I really should have a website but I'm an artist and that stuffs beyond me...I'm so bad at tech stuff Im sure I'd crash my own site!! Lol
    Sending you my email addy :smile:
    LEADER OF RETRIBUTION GUILD
    Click here to join RETRIBUTION guild
    javajnkie
    @NCDawgFan
    I have been in contact with all of the hardest-core players in the company. And yes, I've been a 'free only' player for many months before I joined the team. As for opinions about recent changes, there is agreement that while there is justified concern and worry in the short term, the long term prospects for the game are better because of the changes.

Several of the company's players are max level, and play anonymously in competitive guilds. They probably get fewer stars every week [I only do about 200 myself] than many forum posters, but they are certainly acquainted with the end game content and difficulty.

I'm fortunate to have these 'moles' to ask about and to bring me feedback from their guilds. It's another valuable source of info along with the forums.
    FragzieTop8dogWallStreetPic
  • tammytammy Member Posts: 1,716
    Not only that...but I put in a teeny tiny request for some shoe choices, and what do we get? A Rick bomber jacket line!! If they go the way they did on traits, not listening to the community, they are headed for the ultimate fashion crime...matching dad and son outfits.... :neutral:

Xoxo

LEADER OF RETRIBUTION GUILD
    Click here to join RETRIBUTION guild
    MizTy
This discussion has been closed.