New Player Questions

I'm looking for a good beginner guide for resource allocation, roster makeup, what to save free gold for, etc. I've found SOME answers, but I keep seeing contradictory ones and have no idea the best course, basically a lot of "scrap everything you know with 2.2", but I'm not to the level of trying to perfect trait anyways.

I dropped $5 for the fresh survivor pack and 24hours of gas. I am currently player level 17 Council 8. Survivors 10/12 all between levels 6-8, trying to balance makeup. 2 shooters (4 star and a 2 star that will go as soon as I can replace, 3 hunters(DD Hero at 3 stars and 2 other 3 stars), 3 scouts(2 3Stars and Glen at 2*s) , 2 bruisers(a 4* and a 2* that will get the boot soon). I'm junking everyone 2 stars and under except heroes. I'm leveling everyone up as evenly as possible, as it seems I have plenty of time between upgrades.

TG. What should I be using these on as a new player? Radios? Tokens? Boxes?

Radios? Always save up for 15 for a 3* pull? or do the event 10 radio pulls?

Should I focus on working on my 4*+ and Heroes? (Glen and Daryl, and a 4* bruiser and shooter) and not worry about keeping up most of my roster as I will just dump them as new better ones come in? what's the good line for what's worth working on and what's not?

Gold usage? What should I be using gold on? just save it for now? use it to do instant big upgrades? extra pulls for gold rewards on missions?

Tokens. Save for now or work on upgrading my 4*s?

Comments

• MadPuppyMadPuppy Member Posts: 2,831
    GOLD

TG Store rotates all kinds of stuff. You will have to make up your own mind. Me for instance: I'm mostly hunting for new survivors, so I need phones. I also want the heroes, so I need tokens. I get those two things whenever I can from the store. I'm happy with the gear I'm getting from mission rewards, so don't buy that from the TG store right now.

First work on one team of preferred survivors. Most people don't care for bruisers. I have one of every class at my highest level with the best gear I could find so far. Working on a second set. Heroes will come eventually, but slowly. My Daryl is pretty good thoug and get's used a lot.

Radio's are mostly agreed upon as best to go for 15 calls if you're looking for survivors. All my good ones come from 15 calls. Hunting for tokens might be good with hundreds of 1 calls, but I've never gone for that. Ever.

[Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • MizTyMizTy Member Posts: 1,335
    @Roonis
    Don't scrap your survivors just bc they are 3 star. Ultimately you want to promote a survivor to 5 star with 5 useable, well balanced skills.

At your level everything about your long term strategy revolves around a highly skilled, well balanced survivor in each class.

But be careful! It is highly likely that NG will be "trait balancing" survivor skills before the end of the year. So traits like Def Stance & Vigilant (which are universally shunned) might get buffs soon that make them less than horrible.
    [Deleted User]
  • rgerkmanrgerkman Member Posts: 2,465
    edited October 2016
    Glad to see you stared your own Thread @Roonis !!! & Welcome to the Gorums!! :mrgreen:

When it comes to Gold.. I would hoard it! lol Especially in the beginning! I definitely wouldn't use Gold to Rush Buildings or Survivor Training.. slow & patient wins that race imo. (Except when in a pinch & absolutely have to due to an Event or something of the sort)
    I spend my Gold mostly on Survivor Slots (in the beginning) & the occasional Gas refill & Healing Survivors when I just can't wait no more lol & sometimes.. sometimes the 25g for extra Crates.. (but if not a maxed plyr.. I wouldn't buy xtra crate)
    It's really about what works for you & wether you're a f2p player or p2p or a whale & then.. well.. have at it :joy:

Radios?
    Hoard those too lmao
    Yes.. the 15 is always your best bet unless they have an amazing Event going on.

TG Store?
    I buy everything beneficial to me.. so I like to buy all the Tokens offered, Radios & Gas, Gold Crate & sometimes the Weapons.
    Again.. what works best for your play...

As for Survivors & Heroes?
    I would concentrate on your A Team & possibly a B Team for when your A Team is injured.
    It is cheaper XP wise to Upgrade Survivors first & then Upgrade Traits then vice versa.
    I wouldn't worry too much about upgrading Weapons just yet cause you will continue to keep replacing them til you're higher up. Obviously.. if stuck on a certain Mission/Episode & need an extra boost.. then I would.
    Traits for Survivors/Weapons? That's a sore subject for some. I would keep reading in the Gorums & soak up all the info you can & come up with your own opinion there :wink:

Hmmmm...???? I think I lost my train of thought :joy:

& here are two links with lots of great info & guides & such that will come in handy!!

Awesome Guide from @OneLessTitan
    https://twdnomansland.wordpress.com/

& NML Wiki
    http://nomansland.wikia.com/wiki/The_Walking_Dead:_No_Man's_Land_Wikia

Lots of awesome players here & lots of great info!!
    HTHS!!
    -Rhonda
    There Are No Such Things As Stupid Questions.!!
    There Are However.. Plenty of Stupid Answers!!

Rhonda
    MizTyGrimGael
    @masmith93 wins the badge for K.I.S.S.

@Teeceezy you got one for Keeping It Simple? :)
    rgerkman
  • RoonisRoonis Member Posts: 47
    edited October 2016
    masmith93 said:

If you're not in a guild yet, you should join one to get the phone rewards.

Yeah, I joined a new player one immediately when I hit level.

should I stick it out for rest of the event or jump ship?

I have all of 20/30 stars, squad has 447/600
    I'd find a better guild if I were you. Since you're interested in game strategy, I would definitely recommend a guild that does not rely on in game chat for communication!
    rgerkman
    You can even post that info up there ^^^^ into the Guild Discussion section of the forum & several guilds will contact you directly. That way you can have your pick of what you're looking for
    rgerkman
    edited October 2016
    i would stick it out til Challenge is over & then find a new Guild before next Challenge starts

Edit: like @MizTy said.. definitely find a new Guild though! One that fits you & one that you can also benefit more from

Rhonda
    MizTy[Deleted User]
  • GrimGaelGrimGael Member Posts: 1,410
    Yes, be polite to your current guild, give notice and quit after challenge cycle. There’s no reason not to
    MizTymasmith93
    GrimGael said:

Yes, be polite to your current guild, give notice and quit after challenge cycle. There’s no reason not to

Yeah it was a random add, zero communication setup. I'll kindly say thank you and wait till after the event to drop it looks like

rgerkmanMizTy
  • deb1hddeb1hd Member Posts: 333
    Also I wouldn't buy those bundles until you are higher in the game as they give you full supplies. Because as you move up the resources are harder to come by.
    rgerkmanMizTy[Deleted User]
    Yea!! That's what I forgot to mention @deb1hd .. thanks for reminder!

I wish I had waited buying Bundles til I was where I am now!! Especially Bundles that include Weapons because the Weapon will become useless & it's a total waste!
    & once you buy those Bundles (like the Fresh Survivor) they aren't offered again

Rhonda
    MizTy
    One thing you need gold for that doesn't come with time--survivor slots. How many you acquire is up to you.
    Another thing-this game is a grind. If you set goals in the short term, it helps with that. One of mine was 3 functional survivors in each class. Haven't reached it yet, but it is fun. I've set other, smaller goals along the way, thus short term goals and fun with the long term goal.
    Especially with lower levels-patience. The game scales as you progress, so rushing progress is a false victory except for challenges, which haven't scaled yet. This ironically leads to boring low level grind, which is it's own thing. So just play.
    Also, while general advice about saving this and that in the lower levels is technically correct, don't forget to treat yourself along the way. I still have my first legendary scout weapon from oh these many grinding months ago. It did help my progress along but more importantly--it was fun.
    It's your game and there are few to no irrecoverable mistakes.
    MizTyrgerkman
    So Current plan:

Gold for Survivor Slots, then save for Gas for challenges.

TG: For now I will only use on Phones or Daryl Hero Tokens (since I know there are more of those coming and these will help speed things up) (does Daryl max out from Storymode?)

Radios: 15 Calls only, once I get my solid lineup I'll start saving for special pull events. Rick Shooter event is not a good one to pull, thankfull I got Glenn there twice so not the worst.

XP/Leveling: I'll focus on keeping a couple decent 3* lineups near max level, worry less about gear until the early teens. I may max Glen's Legendary Metal Pipe though, that thing is fun. (Base Level 5, Silver Accuracy, Gold Destructive and Lethal)

It seems like as long as I have a plan or a known benefit to what I'm doing, I can't really go wrong right now storymode/challenge/supply farming. I'm at the beginning of Chapter 6, might try to get to 7 for warriors instead of working on a second bruiser. (My 4* is Defensive Stance, Power Strike, Dodge, Iron Skin, seems like a useful setup)
    MizTy
    Oh! Heroes..

I like the Heroes personally.. well some of them lol

Don't forget that Glenn & Maggie are very beneficial to helping you while Farming for XP or Supplies!! Glenn=Supplies Maggie=XP
    Put whichever one in Leader Spot & their Bonus comes in handy for sure! :grimace:

Rhonda
    MizTyGrimGaelsoggybottoms
    @Roonis
    You have a very solid plan, but I might point out that the warrior you're working on is most powerful if standing still. In a melee situation, standing still might not be the best way to go. For melee, nothing will beat the usefulness of Dodge. Dodge is enhanced by Luck, so look for those 2 traits first & foremost for your melee classes.
    Dodge is marginally enhanced by luck. Right now rarity is a better guide to keep or pitch survivors. The extra duribilty and damage is by far better than anything we can tell you for certain about traits, as they just took a big hit and everything is in flux. Once you have several legendary and/or epic members of a class, it's then that you want to get picky. Just my advice in this uncertain world. Sure, we can say which ones are a bit better today, but then there's tomorrow. Maybe save a few tokens until the dust settles. Maybe spend them, hmmmmm...
    MizTy
    Yeah, for a warrior, im sure dodge and non standing still boosts will be better. With a bruiser, im feeling they are more a wall at times. I have a better skill crowbar for her once she finishes training, but need to upgrade somw builsings before I can start maxing the weapon too.
    GrimGael
    Also for 10 phone event calls in general, many in the player base have been unhappy with them historically. Every time I've seen them come around it's accompanied by claims that they are new and improved and we'll really like them this time, but reception seems to have continued at a lukewarm temperature. There must be something to them, but whatever it is, I'll miss out on it, as I will never do them. Take my free advice for what it's worth.
    Not counting the 15 phone calls for 10 phone event that just passed, of course.
    GrimGael said:

Also for 10 phone event calls in general, many in the player base have been unhappy with them historically. Every time I've seen them come around it's accompanied by claims that they are new and improved and we'll really like them this time, but reception seems to have continued at a lukewarm temperature. There must be something to them, but whatever it is, I'll miss out on it, as I will never do them. Take my free advice for what it's worth.

Yeah I made three total purchases of the event call, got rick tokens, glen tokens, glen tokens, so I'm not mad at all.

One other question:

ads: Is there any rhyme or reason to them, and correct way to use them? Like you get X# per day total, or X for a crate, and Y for extra crates after a map. Basically wondering, should I skip my camp Ads and only watch for more supply unlocks, or watch everything I can?
    Your choice. I only ever watch ads for gold crates on gear missions at hard level. I wouldn't bend over to pick up a silver crate. That being said, I'm peeved so I don't want to watch them. I used to watch max amounts when I first started to support NG. They will help you to progress faster (marginally) no matter what you get for them. It's free.
    MizTy
    If you dig around the forum, you'll find how many you get, it's out there. I'd never watch an ad in camp.
    @Roonis
    You're in luck! Ads are one of the things that really did improve in 2.2. Ads are provided by 3rd parties, not NG. But Steve has stated in another thread somewhere that players ideally should be getting 3-4 ads as mission crate rewards every 4-6 hours. Ads for the cinema are supposed to be 2-4 ads every 6-8 hours.... or something like that.

So as you can see, it's kinda a floating target and just as unpredictable as the rest of No Man's Land ;)
    GrimGael
    edited October 2016
    & the Cinema & Crate Videos are separate.. so if you don't watch Cinema Videos.. you won't get more Crate Videos.

This is what I get:
    Cinema: 4 every 6h
    Crates: 4 every 4h

Its different per Country/Region/TimeZone etc or so it is what NG tells us :mrgreen:

Edit: try & watch Cinema ASAP
    & when it comes to Crate Videos.. try to only watch them when there are Gold Crates!! If no Gold Crates.. save the video for next time.
    Don't watch them during low level grind during Challenges!! You'll regret it for sure!

Rhonda
    MizTyGrimGael
    edited October 2016
    Yeah I've been saving the Mission Completion ones for when there are multi unclaimed gold/silver on hard farming missions. Nice to know they are independent.

Also now farming phones from Negan 2 Hard, averaging just over 1 phone per run, wish I knew about this when I had unlimited gas.
    MizTy
  • zboneszbones Member Posts: 161
    A few things that I have done and found and I am sure others have tips that I have not stated. This is only my view so take what you wish.

Keep any survivors that have retaliate, this is very nice trait.
    Only upgrade survivors that are legendary or epic.
    Keep all your gear and lower level survivors and then when they have a weekend event that gives you fast upgrades buy the double XP and sell them for twice the value and then upgrade your good gear or survivors. Keep an eye on your max storage as it is very easy to hit that level when selling.
    Stock up on gold and spend it to finish off an upgrade to help the process of having access to much XP when collecting double XP.
    Don’t spend gold on the crates after a mission; I have not seen a good return in doing this.
    Only buy legendary
    Stock pile your phone calls and wait for a better time to use them like when they give you a higher chance of getting what you’re looking for. Make sure your tent is at the highest level you can get when making calls. I only call out for 3 stars or for heroes if you’re looking to get one upgraded.
    I use only the assault team when scavenging, once you get the crates stick around as long as you can to collect XP from the kills. Once you get over 100 kills the XP drops to 1 point so keep looking as you grind.
    I only keep two higher level survivors of each class except for the assault team. For me it looks to be a good number and you don’t waste XP points on to many survivors.
    Same with gear, I only upgrade one or two legendary or epic gear as I find going on raids or missions having a mix in your party helps. In other words you can one take one or two survivors of the same class so no need to keep that many around sucking up your XP.
    Start collecting TG and going on raids as soon as you can.
    Thanks