Why the Max Level on Gear needs to be removed

2»

Comments

• El_Pollo_LocoEl_Pollo_Loco Member Posts: 75
    Don't scrap that yet @DLich the level cap on weapons could be removed tomorrow :D

And yes, I would definitely buy weapon bundles without the cap...especially if I'm a lower level player who wouldn't touch these bundles because the weapon would be obsolete in a couple of weeks.

• lmfgunnutlmfgunnut Member Posts: 1,636
    edited November 2016
    I have some thoughts on how gear could be eternalized. The elements of this system are below.

Gear should start at lvl 1 or level X with some dependency on advancement of game state.

Gear should start with no traits.

Gear should be leveled with XP (increasing its damage output). Gear can be leveled forever, as long as the Workshop is advanced.

Traits should be won, purchased, found as mission loot, sold in the TG store etc.

Traits are added to a weapon in the workshop with a timer similar to current upgrades.

Traits themselves are upgraded by adding the same trait to a weapon again. Two bronzes add up to a silver, 2 more add up to a gold. Basically there would be 4 total upgrades to add a trait onto a weapon and move it from bronze to gold. Increase those numbers to whatever makes sense balance wise.

Traits are permanent, as in they can never be removed. Need a different trait? Get a new weapon and start over.

Traits should be the same as they are now, some for armor, some for weapons, some specific to weapon types (class specific) and some generically useful (luck as an example). It should take a significant amount of hunting to gather all of the traits necessary to equip a full team with top notch gear. It should be fairly simple to equip a single survivor with a weapon with 3 traits.

Weapons should gain additional trait slots as they level up. Lvl 1 gear should have no traits. Level 5 gear should have 1 trait slot. Level 10 gear should have 2 trait slots, level 15 should have 3 slots...I'm fine with that being the max since adding more to a single weapon would involve lots of balancing.

Lastly, I don't know how you guys read the forum, but all active threads are shown to me when I click "discussions" which is the only way I view the forum. I have never gone to any specific sub category because very few people appropriately classify their threads. This is the reason I begged @Teeceezy to remove "guild" discussion category from "Discussion" a while back, so that the normal forum view wouldn't have all of the recruitment threads that the majority of readers are not interested in.
    DeadFamily Guild Elder, a Top 20 Global Guild

The Undying Suvivalist--Founding Member and Prezident of the Empty Memorial Club

2725 Deadly Missions Completed Prior to the End of The Deadly Era

Nightmare Club Member--All 14 Episodes of Story Complete on Nightmare Mode (lvl 19 survivors)

• ShteevieShteevie Staff Posts: 1,335
    I like the creativity, though one of these suggestions sounds a bit like moving towards a "gear token" system, which I think would have a mixed reaction.

Adding additional resources is a tough proposition, but maybe some kind of "arms dealer" or "scrap welder" that would let you trade in some lower level gear for a new, slightly-higher level piece? Or an item that gave you better odds at a roll from a gear crate?

These are very loose ideas partly because I don't want to steer the discussion too much and because this issue is below the fold right now on the priority list. Some of the topics we have been discussing in other threads are already in motion, and this would come after those, at the earliest. But that means we have more time to noodle around with ideas and we'll have a head start when we do come to tackle the topic, so please keep going full steam ahead!
    Development Team Member - The Walking Dead: No Man's Land
    Please note: Development is a fluid process, and suggestions and implementation take time and iteration. Any discussion of future features, deadlines, updates, balance changes, and such should be considered prospective and subject to change.
    rgerkmanMizTy_NoName
  • _NoName_NoName Member Posts: 188
    @Shteevie ... that would translate to eliminating the gear cap lvl on all purchased items .... that would be a good start! :*
    fistonltd
  • OneLessTitanOneLessTitan Member Posts: 1,273
    edited November 2016
    I like @lmfgunnut idea, but perhaps not as the entire weapon system....but maybe a special side aspect of the game. Maybe include those trait parts and stuff in the Equipment Scavenge missions in silver and bronze crates since those rewards are insta-scrap for pretty much anyone.

Anyways, you guys lost out on my $22 today. Would have bought that Spear in a heartbeat if I knew I wound't outgrow it. I know I'm not the only one.

(And it's still so weak that this thread is in Suggestions, but I understand the NG staff and mods are going to back each other when one of them makes a bad decision)
    fistonltd_NoName
  • fistonltdfistonltd Member Posts: 149
    i am also pro- removing the level cap!
    i also dont understand why i keep getting lvl19 gear when spending 7,5k tg on a legendary crate???
    when i talk to support about this and i ask a refund of the tg they just say they gonna pass it on to the devs.
    so i open another crate to see if something has changed but i keep getting these lvl19s instead of 20s.

when they remove the cap or give us at least gear we can maxout to the level as it shouldmore poeple will be buying gas and double xp..

fix it!

ps: trainingground, counsil, weaponshop.. all maxed out!
    so only lvl20 gear please i already have enough of lvl19 gear!!
    the logic departement at ng is not doing a very good job..
  • MadPuppyMadPuppy Moderator Posts: 2,829
    The developers are right here on the forum @fistonltd please mind your courtesy.

The developers posted on the gear level you mentioned (among other things). Read about it here:

http://forums.nextgames.com/walkingdead/discussion/comment/148788/#Comment_148788
  • insight55insight55 Member Posts: 37
    edited November 2016
    I would like to see some changes to other parts of the game that can make the max level on gear ok! I believe removing the cap will result in players having all the gear they want, and as a result, they will have no need of new gear.
    I believe the changes described below would improve many aspects of the game, including making new players feel more included in the leaderboards. And overall, I believe they would make low level gear far from useless.

1. Make the recommended survival level (RSL) equally to the highest level of survivor chosen for the mission (HLSM), and give rewards based on that RSL.
    - This should apply to all scavanger missions, but the hard mode should of course have higher RSL than HLSM. And an easy mode (with lower RSL than HLSM) should be introduced so that you are can get lower leveled survivors if wanted (see suggestion about survivor search missions missions further down).
    - The story mode missions will not have RSL based on HLSM: the RSL will remain the same as they are now. However, you should be able to replay them in normal, hard and nightmare mode (freely chosen by the player, who can switch from all three modes at at any time) when you have finished them in nightmare mode.
    - Make additionally outposts and let the current outpost be as it is. The additionally outposts schould have their own leadeboards and maximum allowed HLSMs (applying both defenders and attackers), which is lower than the cap given by the training ground. The additionally leaderboards and HLSMs should reset every cycle. The best number of additionally outpost is probably hard to figure out, but if we have 4 additionally ouposts, their HLSMs would range from 1 to 5, 6 to 10, 11 to 15 and 16-19, respectively.
    - Make additionally challanges, in the same way as the additionally outposts described above.

2. Increase the number of free survivor slots and reduce the gold cost for new slots.

3. Make a new scavanger mission - the survivor search mission - for easy and normal mode. Here you have an increased chance of radios as rewards, and also a small chance of rescuing a survivor with the same level as the RSL/HLSM.
    Top8dog
    @fistonltd
    We have a fix for the gear level issue coming - you will be able to reach level 58 with your camp, so the rewards will be more what you are looking for.

@insight55
    This are some really creative ideas! We have some thoughts about ways to entice players to use lower-leveled survivors, or to level additional teams-worth. These can add to that list, and maybe some of them will get used. Thanks!
    Please note: Development is a fluid process, and suggestions and implementation take time and iteration. Any discussion of future features, deadlines, updates, balance changes, and such should be considered prospective and subject to change.
    insight55Top8dog
  • MIKE13MIKE13 Member Posts: 24
    Really hoping that update 2.3 brings about a removal of gear level caps.
    @MIKE13

Sorry to burst your bubble, but...

The process of designing and developing features for NML, like other games, happens in a scale of months. This thread is not so old that we would have time to act in any of the ideas here, if the dev team had decided to move in this direction.

We have a lot of big plans for the next few months after 2.3, and right now, the gear cap is not among the list of short- or mid-term plans we have. Things could change, of course, but this thread serves as a series of suggestions and opinions for a feature that the dev team did not decide themselves to take up.

It's great to have these discussions, as the details, stories, and desires of the players do often shake up the order of the to-do list. But we simply haven't had nearly the time that would be necessary to design and implement a feature like this, especially given the age of the thread.
    @Shteevie
    can u explain why i cant reach lvl58?
    i upgraded everything!
    i noticed other poeple do reach lvl58, i wonder how?
    how is that even possible?

and another thing, maybe offtopic, but why is my lvl23 spear only 6 damagepoints higher than my lvl22 knife?

check pictures please..
  • schreierschreier Member Posts: 63
    edited November 2016
    What I would advocate for is ... instead of completely removing the gear level cap - you allow players to "reset" equipment levels for gold. Say 100 gold per level reset, and all experience points are removed. So ... if your gun is base level 5 (but raised 3 levels to level 8 with 3 traits "activated"), and your top survivor in that class is level 10, then for 500 gold, that weapon becomes a level 10, with no traits "activated" - i.e. can raise it to 11, 12 and 13 with experience points

This is good business for NG - it encourages people to buy bundles of special weapons ... it encourages the purchase of gas/extra xp to raise the equipment ... it encourages people to buy gold and/or bundles for the gold
    fistonltd
  • LoudWhispererLoudWhisperer Member Posts: 6
    To add to all that, I think we should be allowed to change weapon traits by cannibalizing a trait from a 'dud' weapon and replacing a trait onto a 'main' weapon. this would scrap the old weapon and improve main weapons. Maybe at a cost of 500gold? 5000 TGs?
  • GrimGaelGrimGael Member Posts: 1,410
    Really, just do anything. I know there's a lot of flack about adding so many traits to (survivors and) weapons which has caused dilution to the point it's very difficult to assemble a useful combination of our old stand-by favorites--all the while battling the rng gods. It's true. But a side effect is that it makes it very difficult to try out these traits in any meaningful way either just for the experience or to see if we can fit them into a specific situation. I had a lot of fun with charge+threat reduction on a scout when I borrowed a friend's game to get him unstuck. That has been in the back of my mind, but I've never been able to act on that in this economy without penalizing the all-around nature of my scout team. Part of that is xp related, part the gear "situation"
    I really enjoy having specific use items and survivors. I even have kept the faith with a stable of bruisers, lol.
    schreier
  • GrimGaelGrimGael Member Posts: 1,410
    Lol, where threads go to die.
  • OneLessTitanOneLessTitan Member Posts: 1,273
    Maybe a temporary solution to this nasty problem (until it's fixed permanently with a removal of the cap!!) is to DRASTICALLY cut the XP costs and upgrade times of gear. Having to spend 3.5+ million XP and three days of upgrade time for a weapon that is useful for 2-3 months is crazy. It only costs about a million XP to upgrade a survivor to level 20; and that survivor can be usefully used forever.

My brain just doesn't understand why the gear is 3.5x the cost of a survivor. IMO, the cost of 3 total upgrades for a base level 20 piece of gear should be (at most) the same as leveling up the survivor that uses it.
    fistonltd
    its just sick!
    and what about the lvl18/19 guns we receive by killing lvl24/25/26/27s in da challenges???
    i funally get lvl20 gear from the legend crates now that my lvl is where ist should have been (58).
    i will eventually stop playing if the cap isnt lifted.. im not a donky