Why would anyone want to do the challenges when raids reap far more trade goods in less time?

I've been playing a while, level 57 with most survivors level 20. I've only just started playing challenges, just to get trade goods to buy legendary weapons. Until I realised I can go on raids and gather trade goods and reap about 500 trade goods each time (unless a defender is blocking my way, then I leave and raid again). So raids are far more rewarding in terms of trade goods. Sooo... why would anyone want to do the challenges? Am I missing a trick?
RedEye52

Comments

• MadPuppyMadPuppy Member Posts: 2,831
    Challenges are mostly a social thing to me.

Though to be honest: there are the post mission crates which even at the low levels give up to 4 radios (in case of a gold radio ticket) and the radio guild rewards.
    Walkerballz
  • leanrascalleanrascal Member Posts: 14
    @wrinkled_bag: thanks for the link, great read
  • trosoretrosore Member Posts: 43
    I do it for the chances of getting radio's as rewards. Or extra resources. But mainly for the guild and the competition we have. Every week theres a race to the top. With no reward other then the knowledge, that everyone knows you were better than them. And well there is no better reward than that.
    Governator
  • freegoodenfreegooden Member Posts: 20
    When all my main characters are at the hospital, I'll start playing challenge missions with my scrub members to boost stars and use unwanted gas.
    AYHJA
  • warwar Member Posts: 454
    edited December 2016
    I do both what's your point
  • AYHJAAYHJA Member Posts: 59
    I am glad that it's not just my imagination that I seemingly got more radios by doing challenge missions. That's the reason I do them.

That is also the only way I know of to complete the "complete a mission without walkers dying" quest. 30 gold is 30 gold.
  • numennumen Member Posts: 32
    Yeah, that "complete a mission without walkers dying" requires challenges. Load up on folks who don't retaliate and find a 'get to the exit' challenge!
  • GebobsGebobs Member Posts: 428
    edited December 2016
    Raiding outposts costs me plenty in gold to keep the team healthy. I burned through a few thousand getting past 4000. Challenges are easy for a while and are boring aside from the team camaraderie aspect. We have a good team with a lot of strong players and we support each other with advice and tips on the team FB page.

We at The Last Bastion are always looking for a few more recruits but we don't really need loners that aren't going to contribute.
    numen said:

Yeah, that "complete a mission without walkers dying" requires challenges.

Actually, you can do that easily on a raid too. Field a team that doesn't retaliate. Keep their turns used so they don't overwatch. Then use a scout to zip past the walkers to get the flag. End the raid and you're golden.

• TransmuteJunTransmuteJun Member Posts: 2,163
    There are also those of us who have no interest in Outposts and have never built out outposts. We don't want to get burned when NG changes the system again. So Challenges are the way to go.

Honestly, it kind of evens out, not having to upgrade walkers in the pit. But I get plenty of TG from challenges, the 'outpost' in camp, and the TG-for-food swaps that happen every month or so.
    p_herianjimmorrison369
  • GladiGladi Member Posts: 616
    @Gebobs Not working anymore, you have to grab flag and TG crate, otherwise it is "draw" and quest is not fulfiled.
    Gebobs
  • jimmorrison369jimmorrison369 Member Posts: 2,065
    @TransmuteJun
    Currently there is no need to upgrade the walker pit though. Upgrading your walker pit and walkers only helps your opponents earn xp.
    Playing outpost is profit from the get-go when you don't interest for leader boards.

Currently challenges are far less rewarding then outpost.
    There is no counter argument to that. It's a fact, challenges don't even come close.

That aside,
    I play challenges because I like them,
    first part is a grind but then the fun starts.
    I play outpost to grind for Trade-goods. That is a chore mostly.
    But you earn good Trade-goods. This leads to more tokens for survivors/heroes and more weapons for your survivors.

When I don't play outpost, nothing is lost. When I do play outpost, it is much more rewarding then challenges.

Currently challenges are far less rewarding then outpost.
    There is no counter argument to that. It's a fact, challenges don't even come close.

Raids take their toll though, at least for me. At Gold Tier I, I'm lucky if I find an outpost to raid that isn't protected by Level 20 survivors with pink aplenty, armed and armored to the teeth, and well protected behind barricades. My guys usually get beaten up at least a bit, sometimes quite badly. So it's either wait a an hour or more or shell out gold to keep going.

I suppose I could just run in with a scout and make off with the good, but where's the fun in that? :-)
    jimmorrison369
    Gebobs said:

I suppose I could just run in with a scout and make off with the good, but where's the fun in that? :-)

You are right. There is not much fun in that. It's a chore.
    It's by far the best way to earn TG though
    Gladi said:

@Gebobs Not working anymore, you have to grab flag and TG crate, otherwise it is "draw" and quest is not fulfiled.

Bah!
  • SynapseRangerSynapseRanger Member Posts: 233
    Challenges don't always injure your survivors. Raids hurt survivors more often. Also, you can get guild rewards like tokens or phones.
    Good luck, dumbass
    SCBMARizzen
    edited December 2016
    Maybe it's just me,
    I only have issues with hospital time when I try to win outpost.
    When grabbing loot I usually use all my energy with 1 or maybe 2 people in the hospital max.

That's more then 5k tradegoods for 23 energy. That is close to the same amount I get for a whole week of challenges.
    SCBMAwrinkled_bagleanrascal