Where do the walkers keep coming from? (Discuss)

After all, we must have killed the world's population many times over by now so where are all these extra walkers coming from? It's not like they can reproduce, is it!

Just wondering...... ;)

Anyone got any theories?
“You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only option.” (Bob Marley)
MizTy

Comments

• DLichDLich Member Posts: 5,541
    The worlds population may have been killed; bit think of all the humans that existed over the centuries who are rising from the dead. I understand population growth changes overtime, and increases but if we've killed the equivalent of everyone alive presently; now we're fighting those that have died and raise from the dead like the original zombie movies.

Did everyone reanimate that would already? Are all the "graves" empty? If every person ever over every year in history can reanimate then we got a long way off. But even then how long is too long? Can my gma who passed in '94 comeback?

At what point are you too decayed to no longer be able to "reanimate"

| OG | NOC | USA | UK | CA | CQR | UC | RAD | ZEN |
    Other Leaders | Kick_ass | Pic | abailey362 | GunnerGaz | JMo2127 |
    MAVERICK'S 1 Million Star Club | OG | USA | NOC
    Analyze This with ALF4reals | v1 | v2 | v3 |
    | My YouTube Videos | My 1st Interview | Best Analogy Award!! |

Freemium... the "mium" is latin for 'not really'
    DoTakMizTyArtisansRedEye52
  • PerdtinPerdtin Member Posts: 783
    @DLich - Not sure how accurate this is, but figured it is something.

http://www.memorialpages.co.uk/articles/decomposition.php

Decomposition in the air is twice as fast as when the body is under water and four times as fast as underground. A corpse left above ground is rapidly broken down by insects and animals, including bluebottles and carrion fly maggots, beetles, ants and wasps. A corpse can become a moving mass of maggots within days, even hours in hot climates. Approximately 150,000 maggots can be found on an exposed corpse. Left above ground the the main body cavities burst open and the tissues become liquefied after about a month or so.

When buried six feet down, without a coffin, in ordinary soil, an unembalmed adult normally takes eight to twelve years to decompose to a skeleton. However if placed in a coffin the body can take many years longer, depending on type of wood used. For example a solid oak coffin will hughly slow down the process. I believe there was a case where a body was exhumed in an oak coffin and it was found to still be in a state of decomposition some 50 years later. Of course a lot also depends on how deep the coffin is buried, the state of the soil and the local water table.

Also there is something I saw recently that discussed cremation is rising to about 40% (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/13/cremation-on-the-rise-infographic_n_5669195.html)

So once we get past the Jason and the Argonaut phase of skeletons being taken out, looks like the coast is clear. So despite the angst associated with this whole zombie end of the world thing, just need to wait it out a bit more.
    MizTyArtisansFelioRedEye52
  • MizTyMizTy Member Posts: 1,335
    edited December 2016
    I totally agree with @Perdtin

My pistol packing kitten is just waiting it out :)
  • FelioFelio Member Posts: 103
    The bigger suspension of disbelief for me is that usually when people die, they are eaten completely and do not become walkers, so there really should be skeletal remains around, not hordes of undead.

At least in The Walking Dead everyone is infected and people occasionally die from other things without being put down, but in most settings, every zombie has to be someone who was bitten and got away without being eaten.
    PigDLichJadenPerdtin
  • Squall_NMLSquall_NML Member Posts: 737
    Walkers are a depiction of human figures who had fallen into depravity. On the opposite side, the survivors are a person who still has a humanity inside them, although they will do anything by any means to survive. As long as humans are still exist, walker will always be around us :fearful:
  • DarkZeroDarkZero Member Posts: 339
    Perdtin said:

Decomposition in the air is twice as fast as when the body is under water and four times as fast as underground. A corpse left above ground is rapidly broken down by insects and animals, including bluebottles and carrion fly maggots, beetles, ants and wasps. A corpse can become a moving mass of maggots within days, even hours in hot climates. Approximately 150,000 maggots can be found on an exposed corpse. Left above ground the the main body cavities burst open and the tissues become liquefied after about a month or so.

Reading this made me really hungry for some reason.
    Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition! The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me DZ.
    MizTyWalkerballzPerdtinRedEye52
  • MizTyMizTy Member Posts: 1,335
    edited December 2016
    I want to ask why we never see any children walkers (outside season 1 episode 1) but then I realize it's just to depressing to to see Sam walking around without a soul (or cookies for that matter)
    @Felio that also crosses my mind. Unless somehow Zombies only like fresh meat and actually get full, so stop gnawing and the ones that follow do not like having seconds...
    @DarkZero I am not sure if you can ever be full if that makes you hungry :) But on the good news part, if that makes you hungry, you probably will never have an upset stomach ;)
  • blynknzblynknz Member Posts: 1,988
    DLich said:

The worlds population may have been killed; bit think of all the humans that existed over the centuries who are rising from the dead. I understand population growth changes overtime, and increases but if we've killed the equivalent of everyone alive presently; now we're fighting those that have died and raise from the dead like the original zombie movies.

Did everyone reanimate that would already? Are all the "graves" empty? If every person ever over every year in history can reanimate then we got a long way off. But even then how long is too long? Can my gma who passed in '94 comeback?

At what point are you too decayed to no longer be able to "reanimate"

I believe that it was only a few years ago that there were more people alive than there have ever been dead.
    So if there were 7b, then that would give another 7b.

• bsgper4bsgper4 Member Posts: 309
    @MizTy
    We have. Off the top of my head... did you forget abt that nonsense of the entire first half of season two? Aka Lets waste time searching for Sophia in the woods. Then she walks out the barn.
    Also one of Noah's twin brothers, which bit Tyrese. I may be missing others.
    RedEye52MizTyJade765
  • bsgper4bsgper4 Member Posts: 309
    edited December 2016
    [double]
  • RedEye52RedEye52 Member Posts: 182
    As far as not seeing skeletons walking around after being eaten, I read something about that a while back. Zombies only eat "living" things. Depending on how they get you, you're only alive for a little bit longer. Once you're dead, they don't want you anymore, so they give up. Obviously there are some issues with that as far as the show is concerned, but it's a show.
  • blynknzblynknz Member Posts: 1,988
    I guess there are 2 things with skeletons.
    1 - Bones are not "attached" to other bones. They use muscle etc to hold everything together.
    2 - They need to have some part of the brain still going (not sure if they have said which part, it seems any damage to the brain kills them). So the likelihood is with the decomposition will come the decomposition of the brain, which should kill them.