Worth upgrading Rare survivors to Epic?

Is it worth upgrading a good 3 trait rare survivor to epic/legendary or is it better to save for a 4 good trait epic to upgrade it to legendary?

Comments

• zbotzbot NML Legendary Moderator, OW Moderator Posts: 7,374
    @curiouszombiekiller , it depends on the traits. If I find a rare survivor with luck, dodge, and bullet dodge, I will take a chance to see what's unlocked for epic, if good then proceed to legendary, if not, then hold.
    OneLessTitanbigbeanoFester17
  • @zbot
    Ah okay, cuz i found a rare bruiser survivor with Luck / Dodge / Bullet Dodge, so i was figuring out wether to upgrade him to epic or not
    MizTy
  • NCDawgFanNCDawgFan Member Posts: 2,070
    The two worst traits ever @JayZ
    NathanielFester17SynapseRanger
  • blynknzblynknz Member Posts: 1,988
    What other bruisers to you have. I would upgrade it if you didn't already have a similar bruiser at Epic/Leg.
  • CaptainslayerCaptainslayer Member Posts: 1,430
    The 4th trait in my experience with promoting rares is always a decent trait it's just the 5th trait thats always defective stance or vigilance
    Elder of dragons weyr a top USA guild
    SCBMAMizTy
  • OneLessTitanOneLessTitan Member Posts: 1,273
    @curiouszombiekiller -- I think it's absolutely worth it. I do the same as @zbot for ranged survivors, and I'm with @JayZ on melee's: I won't bother with a rare unless they have luck/dodge/retaliate.

This Scout was Rare last week...

and I rescued this Shooter from Chapter 13 hard mode and upped him to Epic (tho he didn't have bullet dodge to start, but sometimes you have to do things just to entertain yourself). He may become Legendary someday as I have a couple Shooters with Bullet Dodge, and who knows what new Traits may come, so having some Epics to promote may be worth waiting on for a bit.

Fester17GrimGaelRedEye52
  • bigbeanobigbeano Member Posts: 602
    You guys are lucky,I promoted a rare assault with sure shot,dodge, lucky...stinkin vigilant appears!Got that on 2 I promoted 2 legend!!!SO NoT CooL!
    MizTyArtisans
  • Fester17Fester17 Member Posts: 682
    edited December 2016
    I upgraded this guy from Rare last week. He will be promoted to Legendary in the future (hoping for SureShot as 5th trait):

Elder and recruiter for FearTheDead

MizTyDoTak
  • GreySeerGreySeer Member Posts: 308
    Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. It worked for Rosie and Castor here. Trashed a scout that unlocked bad traits. Still working on the bruiser.
    DoTak
  • WalkermanWalkerman Member Posts: 64
    I think most everyone agrees the answer depends on the class/trait combo. But I also think there comes a time when the work that goes into leveling and promoting rares outweighs the patience needed to wait for a good epic/legendary call. The point where I stopped considering rares was when I had at least two legendary survivors in each class. I knew I was going to want to promote the epics and legs that I had and those 32 tokens became more valuable than the perfect trait combo. Now I have 4 in each class with at least 3 legs in all except for my warriors, heroes notwithstanding. The majority of them don't have the most desirable traits, but some do and I'm happy with that.

For whatever it's worth, 15 radio calls in the last 3 months seem to be producing more epic/legendary survivors than the first 8 months ever did.
    Watch Tower Alliance (WT #14) - PM for details on joining!
    DoTak
  • GrimGaelGrimGael Member Posts: 1,410
    I might have to try. Been a very long dry spell for calling bruisers and I'm feeling so-so about my current roster.
  • Fester17Fester17 Member Posts: 682
    JayZ said:

@brentp17 Enjoy Defensive Stance!

@JayZ , I bookmarked this thread, and I'm gonna post a pic of him at Legendary whenever i get him there, just so I can gloat about getting Sure Shot, lol.
    Elder and recruiter for FearTheDead

RedEye52
  • JayZJayZ Member Posts: 3,716
    @brentp17 Hahaha, for your sake, I hope that you do get Sure Shot (or at least Iron Skin), but you never know with the RNG gods. You better still post if it's DS!
    Proud member of Mavericks OG, a top 3 global GW and challenge guild.
    Message me on the forums or on Line (ID: jayztwdnml) if you're interested in joining the Mavericks family of guilds.

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGSePrANMyf_S_YKJyfJodg
    Strategy compendium: https://forums.nextgames.com/walkingdead/discussion/41787/jayzs-nml-strategy-compendium
    My best assault, found her as a rare with trifecta traits upgraded to epic got iron skin, then to legendary and received marksman. I've had failures but it's possible. I changed her name to Angelina after what I deem are perfect traits for all around survivors. I prefer all around survivors as my slots are limited and it allows for me to dump tokens to upgrade to six plus stars.

MadPuppyTheSittingDuck
    @zbot I was exceptionally lucky and got this one from a call. Not nearly as cute as Angelina though, so I put Carol's outfit on her to cover her fugly face.
    Message me on the forums or on Line (ID: jayztwdnml) if you're interested in joining the Mavericks family of guilds.

Strategy compendium: https://forums.nextgames.com/walkingdead/discussion/41787/jayzs-nml-strategy-compendium
  • TheSittingDuckTheSittingDuck Member Posts: 208
    That's a helluva luck @zbot ! Perfect girl with a perfect gun (traits) And she's quite pretty above that, which counts too ;)
    GrimGaelggbats
  • MonsutaMonsuta Member Posts: 1,168
    edited May 2017
    Now this thread turn into showing your Assault? :D
    RedEye52
  • GrimGaelGrimGael Member Posts: 1,410
    Her most savage trait is her level 5 eyebrows. I have that model too.
    Artisansbigbeano
    WOW!My bruiser jus got lucky 4 his fifth trait!Retaliate, strong,dodge,and bullet dodge to go with.Shocking it wasn't vagilent or DS!
    GrimGaelRedEye52
    Lucky you @bigbeano! Hope you get Iron Skin with the last trait :)

@ Jay-Z thanks!My other recent promotions were vagilent,so I got excited on that one!I have alotta survivors with vagilent and/or defective suck.Nice to see survivers with neither!
  • SynapseRangerSynapseRanger Member Posts: 233
    @bigbeano Defective Suck? Wish that was it's official name.
    Good luck, dumbass
    bigbeanoGrimGael
  • ErranttroopErranttroop Member Posts: 16
    Is it sometimes worth it to invest tokens in a green survivor (3 star)? Or should I wait for Blue since that will have 4 traits displayed and less chance to get bad traits?

My specific example that prompted me to ask the question is this: I just got a 15 radio call (all greens) and got an assault that has the following traits - Marksman, Sure Shot and Dodge - worth it to try and promote or should I just take the tokens and hope for a blue one with good traits.

Thanks!
  • MadPuppyMadPuppy Member Posts: 2,831
    Depend on how many tokens you have and the rest of your survivors.

I've neven gone for that route though. I get plenty of blue ones, and occasionally a gold.

Maybe it's an option to just hold on to this one for a few more weeks or longer, and see what happens. There's no rush if you have the room.
    @Erranttroop , merged with this thread.

It really depends on your situation as @MadPuppy mentioned but there are a few of us who have gotten lucky and was able to promote rare survivor with good traits to legendary survivor with "perfect" traits but you need phones and tokens.
    bigbeano
  • ErranttroopErranttroop Member Posts: 16
    Thanks! Adding up the amount of tokens it takes to promote, probably just better to hope for an epic or legendary...but I'll hold on to the Marksman, Sure Shot and Dodge Assault for later on in case I want to test my luck.