What determines survivors level in outpost?

I'm have level 14 survivors, currently max for council level.
I'm coming up against level 17, 1 out of every 4 attacks, this is starting to get out of hand.
What determines level of opponents?

Comments

• MadPuppyMadPuppy Moderator Posts: 2,824
    Scavenge missions?

Did you select "hard" at the bottom of the screen?
    Try hitting "normal" and see if that changes anything.
    Sarrdukar
  • SarrdukarSarrdukar Member Posts: 91
    Outpost, not scavenge missions..
    I'm in gold one, I'm interested to know how the game chooses the players you come up against. Is it purley based on your ranking or does your survivor level/ council level or experience effect who you fight?
  • SeltzerSeltzer Member Posts: 3
    Possibly from your current tier rank in the Cycle. I dont know for sure but that seems to be the logical concept. For instance if you are in Gold Tier III, it will pick you a player in that tier.
    AngieMatheson
    The way that the matchup goes is not entirely public information. Afaik it's influence but also player level that determines who you are matched with.
  • jimmorrison369jimmorrison369 Member Posts: 1,782
    -3 to +3 right?
  • Squall_NMLSquall_NML Member Posts: 737
    @MadPuppy
    Maybe high lvl outpost's walkers also included? Never raided like crazy since 12 days event :blush:
  • RedEye52RedEye52 Member Posts: 182
    I'm having a similar situation, although not as often. I have maybe half my survivors leveled up to 13. I recently had a match against level 17 walkers & survivors. I made it maybe 4 turns before I was slaughtered by the walkers. I'm not sure why they would ever put us against something that hard. Level 17 walkers are tough on a scavenge mission, but I get a couple turns to kill them before they reach me. On an outpost, they're on me right away. It really ruined my playing that day.

@Shteevie @Teeceezy is there any explanation for any of this? I know you won't reveal the formula, but is this a mistake or are we destined to be slaughtered by high level walkers/players?
  • ShteevieShteevie Staff Posts: 1,335
    Right now, the player level [the number in the circle on the top left of the screen in your camp] and your influence are combined to control your matchmaking possibilities. The first number tells us what level of survivors you can be expected to have, and the other tells us how good and/or active you are at Outpost.

If you are facing outpost opponents of more than one level ablove you, my guess is that you have been able to upgrade your training grounds for a while, but haven't.
    Development Team Member - The Walking Dead: No Man's Land
    Please note: Development is a fluid process, and suggestions and implementation take time and iteration. Any discussion of future features, deadlines, updates, balance changes, and such should be considered prospective and subject to change.
    AngieMathesonSarrdukarMizTy
    @Shteevie Not me. My training grounds are maxed. And I'm certainly not able to upgrade it 2-3 times. My player level is 34 and I have just above 3800 influence. I'm not high level in any way. Maybe @Sarrdukar is different, but that formula isn't working for me.
  • zbotzbot Legendary Moderator Posts: 6,372
    edited December 2016
    @RedEye52 & @Sarrdukar , my player level is 58, survivor level mostly 20, influence is about 4092, I have yet to run across any level 12-13 defenders, it might be that there's not many player level 12-13 running around at your influence so you get matched up higher but lowest available?
    @RedEye52
    3800 influence at your level puts you easily in the top 10% of all players at that level, and probably within the top 10% of players ranked by influence in the whole game. You've hit the big leagues, where many players do't ever get, and almost none before they get to top-level survivors. Congratulations!
    Please note: Development is a fluid process, and suggestions and implementation take time and iteration. Any discussion of future features, deadlines, updates, balance changes, and such should be considered prospective and subject to change.
    AngieMathesonRedEye52MizTy
    Really? I'm only Gold Tier 2. If 3800 puts me in the top 10%, then it sounds like raiding needs some serious motivation changes. But that's another thread...

But thanks! That is definitely awesome.
    MizTy
  • wrinkled_bagwrinkled_bag Member Posts: 656
    RedEye52 said:

Really? I'm only Gold Tier 2. If 3800 puts me in the top 10%, then it sounds like raiding needs some serious motivation changes. But that's another thread...

But thanks! That is definitely awesome.

The top 10 % for your player level.
    Shteevie said:

@RedEye52
    3800 influence at your level puts you easily in the top 10% of all players at that level, and probably within the top 10% of players ranked by influence in the whole game. You've hit the big leagues, where many players do't ever get, and almost none before they get to top-level survivors. Congratulations!

@wrinkled_bag you sure bro? :wink:
    But I still think that's a bit crazy. 3800 influence puts you that close to the top, statistically.
  • SarrdukarSarrdukar Member Posts: 91
    Hmm that explains it.. (Player lvl 36 with 4200 influence). Just now maxed all buildings so ready for council upgrade. (Couldn't have done it quicker)
    So the ideal when still levelling and playing outpost is to play less, in order to generate resources through the farms and tents in the base, keeping player xp below the councils player xp requirements until you are ready to upgrade it. Sounds counter intuitive to promote inactivity.
    RedEye52
  • HelioHelio Member Posts: 522
    Shteevie said:

If you are facing outpost opponents of more than one level above you, my guess is that you have been able to upgrade your training grounds for a while, but haven't.

Son of a gun! That explains why my lvl 17 survivors are facing lvl 19 enemies in outposts... I just thought I was really good for my level... instead it's just because I didn't upgrade... boo! :)

MizTy
  • MizTyMizTy Member Posts: 1,335
    I have a feeling Outposts are due for a heavy update after NG finishes overhauling Challenges. Be patient. I'm fairly certain NG is aware of the problems with Outposts. Hopefully @Shteevie will put the time in to outline the proposed changes ahead of time and solicite Forum feedback like he did this month with the Challenge overhaul that expected to be released sometime in January. <3

Since the Forum has been asking for the Challenge rework for over 7 months now, a little patience with Outposts is warranted bc it's much newer ;)

I am extremely pleased that Stevie himself replied to @Sarrdukar & @RedEye52 tho. If it weren't for him, I would have lost patience with NG's dev work long ago! :blush:

You guys didn't ask for advice but I'll give it anyway. Sarrdukar simply rocks & is at the top of his game and Redeye would benefit from upgrading his survivors. Both of you have mastered Outposts. Congratulations on your achievements and your rankings! I'm jealous of your skill.... I'm more of a take the goodies & flee kind of gal. (Don't mess with that Steve!) o:)
    RedEye52
    edited December 2016
    I think 'Box Runs' will continue to be part of Outpost for a while; I don't see any reason to change them, as they appear to be a big part of why players are playing outpost right now.

However, I think there should be a stronger relationship between Influence and TG rewards, so when we have the time, there will be some modifications to the way rewards and matchmaking are calculated. Anyone have an extra month laying around that the dev team can borrow?
    RedEye52black_nines