Outpost raiding for the Draw?

Of course this isn't a big deal and not a significant issue at all in game. I've just been curious as to NG/Developer's reasoning behind the Draw implementation. Was it done purely for aesthetics/cosmetics? Because it has no actual or practical difference for the Defender compared to a "defense lost" icon result from earlier when only flag objective obtained.

It appears this implementation is only for aesthetic purposes when attacker presses that coward-button Draw button?

SCBMAShut_UpOneLessTitanDoTakTheLostOnesArtisanscapibaraJadenBorutop_herian

Comments

• MovadoMovado Member Posts: 863
    ...and of course my photo is just for comedy purposes. I redacted attacker's name as I'm not trying to publicly shame any individuals. All in good fun.
    DoTakTheLostOnesJadenBoruto
  • DLichDLich Member Posts: 5,546
    I believe the term draw was only to implement the inability to complete the "kill no Walker" quest by grabbing the flag.

I'd hardly consider someone taking my crate and teleporting out with my survivors intact (and not even engaging them) a "defeat"

| OG | NOC | USA | UK | CA | CQR | UC | RAD | ZEN |
    Other Leaders | Kick_ass | Pic | abailey362 | GunnerGaz | JMo2127 |
    MAVERICK'S 1 Million Star Club | OG | USA | NOC
    Analyze This with ALF4reals | v1 | v2 | v3 |
    | My YouTube Videos | My 1st Interview | Best Analogy Award!! |

Freemium... the "mium" is latin for 'not really'
    MovadoJadenmcbkhicks
  • srmcn1031srmcn1031 Member Posts: 565
    After playing with @Movado in a guild. I can see why they hit the coward button. Your guys are probably 3 or 4 pink stars and would have gotten creamed if they attacked. They were probably just going after tg but realized they wouldn't be able to get it in one shot.
    Movado
  • InvaderInvader Member Posts: 2,066
    SCBMA said:

That person must be a newbie if they thought they could take an epic assault into your outpost!

Newbie? Level 20 survivors?
    Neil_Jmellow_93
    I think the extraneous parts of my thread may have inadvertently clouded my inquiry point re: Draw system. I never fault players for the Flee; sometimes raids just don't go well, or, constant disconnects/rollbacks mess up everything, so we have to bail, and live to fight another day. It's happened to me too.

I was mainly wondering if NG did some kind psychological study that having Draw results positively affects perception, and thereby helping encourage outpost participation. It just seemed like an odd update element to Outpost (but I guess it makes sense). I was more curious about psychology behind the implementation given the lack of difference mechanically/practically. @Shteevie - care to enlighten us? But no big deal.

FYI - I used that photo above because that was a particular temporary phase in which I placed my TG's in front gate, and yet that said individual clearly had no intention of grabbing TG's, and instead just quit (Draw) after their 2 attackers died fighting. It was funny & perplexing, but whatevers.

My Outpost has indeed been punk'd before by a few players with lesser survivors, and I'm always impressed when they accomplish all objectives through good strategy/maneuvering. Perhaps in a masochistic fashion, I actually like seeing opponents fight the good fight and take down my Fortress of Solitude. I salute those players!
  • DoTakDoTak Member Posts: 1,964
    I've also wondered what some players think after they've been raided for TG and their log says Defense Lost. I figure most think nothing of it, because they know they actually haven't 'lost' anything, but I still imagine there are some out there that might see that and want to seek revenge. Again, the psychological response to a message saying you've just lost, not to mention the bold red background color.

By the way @Movado , I've seen screenshots of your pinkies. I'd say this player was actually very BRAVE to attack you when they didn't have to :)
    (or idiotic)
    TheLostOnesMovadoSCBMABoruto
  • capibaracapibara Member Posts: 6,702
    Well.. I consider the drawn a no influence win or loss...
    And a big hug to my dearest @Movado and @srmcn1031 ;) Miss both
    "Always be yourself unless you can be a capybara. Then always be a capybara".
    --> Do you need a guild? ...send me a Private Message. My Recruiting den and my "Art Objects" in the Next Games Collection.
    MovadoNeil_JBoruto
  • ShteevieShteevie Staff Posts: 1,335
    Do you really want to see into my mind? Not everyone who asks to do so likes what they see... /wink

Anywho, the idea was that no one won or lost anything material, [meaning TG or Influence] and therefore it's hard to call either player a winner or a loser. Calling the player a winner when they didn't get any prizes felt wrong, and calling the player a loser because they made the conscious choice to avoid more healing time in a match they felt they couldn't win had the potential of turning people off of Outpost altogether.

Because Outposts rely on players actually caring about defenses and choosing to make attacks, we want them to be as positive as possible as often as possible without venturing into "Participation trophy" territory.

In the future, I hope we get the time to further develop the rewards and scoring mechanics here, but for now, the priorities lie with other features. When we do, though, I think a draw should likely only happen after the player opens the gate and gives the defenders the time of day.
    Development Team Member - The Walking Dead: No Man's Land
    Please note: Development is a fluid process, and suggestions and implementation take time and iteration. Any discussion of future features, deadlines, updates, balance changes, and such should be considered prospective and subject to change.
    MovadoSCBMAMCbentonSurvivor420
    @Shteevie - thanks for the response. I was indeed curious as to the mindset of NG/Developers on this. I figured there was some game-psychology element involved with it. Makes sense. Thanks again for the reply.
    Survivor420
  • blynknzblynknz Member Posts: 1,988
    It's possible the guy ran into your walkers by accident (who hasn't done that). And just took too much damage. He may not have even open the gate.
    Or the above, but it timed out/ran out of time to get the TGs.
  • AYHJAAYHJA Member Posts: 59
    I don't care that they flee, but if my survivors kill two of your survivors and you have to bail, that should not count as ZERO influence points...