See all traits on survivor rather than having to upgrade to see them.

I would like to see a change where you can see all 5 traits of a survivor ahead of spending tokens first. Obviously only the traits that match the survivors level are unlocked. i.e. a level 1 survivor would only have 1 unlocked trait. However you can see the 4 other traits that this survivor will get if you spend tokens to upgrade them.

Obviously by seeing all 5 traits means I can make an informed decision about whether I want to spend thousands of tokens to upgrade that survivor. For example, I am sure lots of people have an awesome epic survivor that has 4 amazing traits. You spend thousands to tokens to get them to legendary only to discover the 5th trait is defensive stance or something else that you don't want.

This has many benefits and I cannot really think of any negative points.

- Allows us not to waste upgrading survivors that may not have the traits we desire.
- Means making 1 or 5 radio calls worthwhile. You might get a low-level survivor with only 1 or 2 traits unlocked. However you can see the other 3 traits which when fully upgraded make the survivor amazing.
- Right now any survivor that isn't epic or legendary is essentially discarded as the chance of getting poor traits with upgrading is too high to risk spending so many tokens.
Bill_ZRTPutchucoPigCaptainslayertransporter1971p_herianSCBMAWallStreetNoxerabsgper4ZeroSixInspTurbinesDriftingdeathJadenmas_killerR2runfastszgerg77falowynyoyos

Comments

• PutchucoPutchuco Member Posts: 1,289
    Should be the same as with gear, all traits visible from the beginning.
    This could finally make common/uncommon/rare survivors from calls interesting again.
    If you would like to join a drama-free and fun group of enthusiasts,
    contact us via email at [email protected]
    StarkhornInspTurbinesszgerg77falowyn
  • The_JerThe_Jer Member Posts: 291
    Before the survivor level caps were removed it used to be this way. Not really sure why it was changed
    StarkhornSCBMAInspTurbines
  • StarkhornStarkhorn Member Posts: 68
    @Shteevie, are there any plans to allow us to see the survivor traits before upgrading?
  • AYHJAAYHJA Member Posts: 59
    I posted this same thing, and agree with @jbuoy . I'm not sure why it was changed.
    Starkhorn
    I am fairly new player and so it has always been this way for me. When did it change?
  • OneLessTitanOneLessTitan Member Posts: 1,273
    I like this idea, but just to play devils advocate, there is a downside to this suggestion. Any current survivor with less than Legendary Status will not be eligible to get any new Survivor Traits that may be released. So when new Survivor Traits are released, the only way to get those traits is by getting completely new Survivors. That could be a good or a bad thing.
    StarkhornInspTurbinesRedEye52
  • OneLessTitanOneLessTitan Member Posts: 1,273
    @Starkhorn -- it's probably been about 4-5 months since the change.

I like this idea, but just to play devils advocate, there is a downside to this suggestion. Any current survivor with less than Legendary Status will not be eligible to get any new Survivor Traits that may be released. So when new Survivor Traits are released, the only way to get those traits is by getting completely new Survivors. That could be a good or a bad thing.

Yeah true that is one downside, however it does give incentive to go out and get a new survivor with the new traits.

When I measure up this downside against the weeks/months it can take to gather enough tokens to upgrade. Then only to get traits that are not desirable then I would happily accept this downside.

InspTurbines
  • RedEye52RedEye52 Member Posts: 182
    This is kind of the whole point. You have to work to upgrade your people and find out if they're good. Otherwise there is little mystery left in the game. I get why you want it, and it would be awesome, but it would definitely take something away. So I doubt NG would consider it.
    @Shteevie, are there any plans to allow us to see the survivor traits before upgrading? i.e. like we currently see for the equipment?
  • ShteevieShteevie Staff Posts: 1,335
    Sorry I missed this last month; thanks for being persistent and pinging me again.

I don't think this is something that we will look to implement. The point about upgrading old characters after new traits are released is pertinent, and "Which survivor should I upgrade? / Which trait will I get?" is intended to be a question players think about carefully.

If you could make 15 1-radio calls and hunt for the perfect future trait combination, you have a lot of other problems:
    -These 1-star survivors are less good than your current 3-10 star characters, so you will not be able to use the cool new guy for a very long time - until they are leveled and upgraded to the point that they are better than your current team. This really deflates the value of getting a great result from a call, which isn't something we want to do.
    -The need for survivor slots, and juggling 'bench' survivors as opposed to 'team' survivors causes players to spend more time in the survivor management screens, which is not as cool or engaging as killing walkers.
    -XP is functionally meaningless until you have the team you want. Since phone rewards don't scale, there's no need to advance through the game until you have the perfect potential team. It would be very upsetting to the players to find out that they have wasted some time and made the game harder by advancing through the game only to find out that the most optimal route is to farm for a long time at the start of the game until you have a bunch of really great 1-star characters.

In short, it's too much of an upheaval of the system, with too many major repercussions, to consider while leaving other parts of the rewards and costs systems in play the way they are.
    Development Team Member - The Walking Dead: No Man's Land
    Please note: Development is a fluid process, and suggestions and implementation take time and iteration. Any discussion of future features, deadlines, updates, balance changes, and such should be considered prospective and subject to change.
    Necroboogie
  • MovadoMovado Member Posts: 863
    Here's an antique photo of the "old" way, for nostalgic purposes. I suppose all traits were revealed back then because they had same sets of traits anyways, and there was a hard-cap on levels (ensuring players had to seek out new survivors with further updates). But once the level-cap was removed, the rules-of-engagement had to be changed....

@Shteevie, I just wanted to say thanks for responding. Much appreciated.
    szgerg77
  • GladiGladi Member Posts: 616
    @Shteevie on the other hand, it is pain in the as* to gather some tokens, upgrade several epics to legs just to find out you unlocked defensive stance on all of them. I have dozen leg survs with dodge/luck/marksman/sure shot combo and none of them unlocked iron skin. And majority of them have def. stance. Your point is clear, but what @blynknz suggested is not a bad idea. The only thing you will know, will be, that your epic is going to be awesome leg.
    OneLessTitan
    blynknz said:

Although an alternative to that is you could reveal just the next trait. So a common would have 1 trait unlocked, and reveal what the next trait is etc.
    That would be a combination of both worlds, we would be able to just do single calls until we find the best, but we also wouldn't waste a bunch of tokens to upgrade a survivor and get a trait that we do not utilise.

@blynknz that is actually an awesome idea

Captainslayer