No More Hoarding = No More Motivation

Comments

• ZardoxZardox Member Posts: 119
    I don't think using all your phones at the same time makes any difference on what you get for tokens. It's all a game of chance and do better making a 15 call at different times of the day. Besides what you would you do if all your heros were maxed out, I know bitch about it. Well you need to keep interest in the game and I think the current phone / token system is fine. I don't think the current maxed out supply issue is fine it needs to be fixed ! why give me rewards that just go into space. The supply issue will force me to quit soon. I can't take the stupid message to upgrade my supply storage and gold crates with no value to me.
  • CaptainslayerCaptainslayer Member Posts: 1,418
    @Zardox no one is saying you get better pulls spending all at once what we hoarders are saying when you do a bunch of calls at one time you get enough tokens to upgrade traits and promote survivors right then instead of a couple calls here and pulling 64 tokens and not being able to upgrade or promote anything for another 10 or more times you do a couple calls
    Elder of dragons weyr a top USA guild
    DoTakggbats
  • ATLAS-ZATLAS-Z Member Posts: 4,104
    edited February 2017
    And I'd like to add, no thread hijacking please? @zbot am I using the term correctly?

I have absolutely no supply or tomato issues at this moment because Next gave us an out for that. It's your own fault if you choose not to take it.

Are you Lost? Alone? Looking for a killer team to have your back?
    Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
    Remember, search ZOMBREX SATISFIES. Check us out HERE
    EMAIL US --> [email protected]"
    bsgper4Verbaub
  • hiplnsdrftrhiplnsdrftr Member Posts: 198
    almost 1500 radios which I will not be using until there's some non-hero incentive.
    exploiting the loophole loophole
    CaptainslayerPig
  • PigPig Member Posts: 1,870
    Shteevie said:

The move to state that there was no longer a reason to hoard was done in the hopes that you would see some benefit to using the radios, and these new upgrades and survivors would be fun for you as you continued to play.

I never understood this reasoning. If you want us to spend phones, why is taking away the events that make us want to spend them a reasonable solution?

The way I see it, there's still a very good reason to hoard. You might run a good phone event again some day. This is what happened to me:

When you made clear that ICELS was done, I blew my phones. Then immediately I regretted it, because I figured you'd probably run a different event some day and I'd want the phones. What happened?

Exactly what I predicted. You ran the 15-for-10. Having blown all my phones, I was only able to do about three calls during that event. I learned my lesson, and I'm hoarding again. If you spring another good phone event, I want to be ready.
    Shteevie said:

Using them is certainly more fun for many of us than not using them

I enjoyed using them strategically. That's why I saved them for decent phone events. Just spending them for the sake of spending them isn't fun for me.

My wife, on the other hand, never enjoyed hoarding them. To be more accurate, she spent them compulsively even if she knew I was right that saving for ICELS was smarter. The point is, we had strategic options. You have often justified nerfs by saying they open up other strategic options. Whether or not that's true, the principle should apply here. If my strategy of phone use is saving, and someone else's is spending, shouldn't we have both options for the sake of strategic variety?
    Shteevie said:

Using them ... helps you as well, when it comes to upgrades, reaching higher difficulties, and completing your perfect team.

My perfect team isn't a team full of heroes. It's a team full of legendary non-hero survivors with traits I like. Using phones on 10 radio calls (even if they were good value, which they're not) doesn't help me perfect my team.

Again, there's the question of strategic variety. If you wish to encourage varieties of strategies, why not the strategy of using non-heroes? All phone events are hero-related; that favors only one team-building strategy, doesn't it?
    Bad Pig
    Bad to the bone!
    The Notorious P.I.G.
    "I'm stuck in forum prison, and time keeps draggin' on"
    "I’ve never said I’m a perfect pig, nor pretended to be someone that I’m not."
    JadenPapacasDoTakTransmuteJun
    Shteevie said:

We found that many of the players that were leaving with veteran accounts were doing so with unused radio stockpiles.

And, I might add, I'll be another vet who retires with an unused radio stockpile, unless I get a good reason to spend the radios. When the time comes that I lose interest and decide to uninstall, the option to blow a bunch of phones on these 10-radio calls won't be an incentive to stop me. An ICELS, on the other hand...
    Bad Pig
    Bad to the bone!
    The Notorious P.I.G.
  • blynknzblynknz Member Posts: 1,988
    I don't think the Max supplies etc would matter with new content. Not challenge rework, or season missions.
    Actual new competition game play.

@Shteevie, It would be really awesome if a roadmap could be given to us for your plans.
    Obviously things change, but it would give us a reason to stay.
    BigRich
  • ShteevieShteevie Staff Posts: 1,335
    @TransmuteJun @paintbeast
    You'll be able to see it soon for yourselves if you don't want to take my word for it, but a player with level 20 survivors who plays the same number of mission in the new system as the average player did in the current system will actually get more total TG.

So, hopefully you can find a little optimism about trying the new challenge system out for this reason, if not for any other.
    Development Team Member - The Walking Dead: No Man's Land
    Please note: Development is a fluid process, and suggestions and implementation take time and iteration. Any discussion of future features, deadlines, updates, balance changes, and such should be considered prospective and subject to change.
    jimmorrison369LadyAquilaBigRichbigbeano
  • bsgper4bsgper4 Member Posts: 309
    @shteevie
    "but a player with level 20 survivors who plays the same number of mission in the new system as the average player did in the current system will actually get more total TG."

The heck? What abt those who don't have level 20 survivors yet? We get jipped on tg and will get less than currently?! Can't wait. :neutral:
    @bsgper4
    I was using the level 20 scenario as an example, and because I know Jun is a top-level veteran. I'm sure you will enjoy your TG rewards. Watch the racist slurs.
    Please note: Development is a fluid process, and suggestions and implementation take time and iteration. Any discussion of future features, deadlines, updates, balance changes, and such should be considered prospective and subject to change.
    Invaderbsgper4[Deleted User]
    @Shteevie The heck are you talking about?
    Don't throw nonsense my way, thanks.
  • ggbatsggbats Member Posts: 210
    Wait a minute, If I start new challenge at lvl 15 with my lvl 20s, there's no way I can play the same amount of missions!
  • GladiGladi Member Posts: 616
    @ggbats Then read proposed challenge rework more carefully. Some RSL will be repeated twice or 3 times... this will lead to about same number of missions.
    ggbats
  • ATLAS-ZATLAS-Z Member Posts: 4,104
    edited February 2017
    > @bsgper4 said:
    > @Shteevie The heck are you talking about?
    > Don't throw nonsense my way, thanks.

You said "jipped" which is apparently a slur toward gypsies?

I had to look it up. Lol

Edit: just saw @Marcus6253 post hah

Are you Lost? Alone? Looking for a killer team to have your back?
    Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
    Remember, search ZOMBREX SATISFIES. Check us out HERE
    EMAIL US --> [email protected]"
    ggbatsCaptainslayer
    @BiggyGuyinTWD No. Never in all my years on this earth have I ever heard or known it to be used in such a way. @Shteevie is reaching and I'm offended by his sentiment. He doesn't know me or my ethnicity.
    My comment stands as is and is based on the initial comments we made in challenge rework topics.
    Verbaub[Deleted User]ggbatsT_12
  • InvaderInvader Member Posts: 2,066
    bsgper4 said:

@BiggyGuyinTWD No. Never in all my years on this earth have I ever heard or known it to be used in such a way. @Shteevie is reaching and I'm offended by his sentiment. He doesn't know me or my ethnicity.

My comment stands as is and is based on the initial comments we made in challenge rework topics.

Now you know what it means...so change it!
    @invader I've made my statement. Period.
  • ReeconnReeconn Member Posts: 528
    @Shteevie why not just open all the 14 chapters and let us play them as and when we want , it obviously cost alot of money to design all the chapters, its just a shame we only got to play them 3 times ( normal hard & nightmare )
    Wild Walking 1
    gespuer
  • MadPuppyMadPuppy Member Posts: 2,831
    I've played less due to having had enough of the useless challenges. Those are the main part of the game for me. The part I play the most.

I had fun collecting phones, and burned them like so many others.
    Following that I played less because collecting phones had become a new goal.

I'm optimistic about the challenge rework making the challenge play more worthwhile again for me and my guild.
    1RisCaptainslayer
    Reeconn said:

@Shteevie why not just open all the 14 chapters and let us play them as and when we want , it obviously cost alot of money to design all the chapters, its just a shame we only got to play them 3 times ( normal hard & nightmare )

-We would need to put in a feature that set up different rewards for the first playthoughs and the repeats. The story missions give very high rewards for their level, and some of the rewards are things that we would not want to give out over and over. We also wouldn't want to replace Scavenge with Story repetitive play, since some of those missions are set up to be more puzzle-like and would get old if you could play them ad nauseam.

I do want to open them up to you all again, but in a more fun way than just unlocking them for the sake of doing so.
  • KaLiKaLi Member Posts: 426
    @Shteevie great to hear that you guys are may be rethinking about opening chapter missions again as it was one of the highlights of many of our journey to the top. I do agree with others that it will help give us more options to play when we want to take a break from outposts, challenges, and scavengers.

Once you guys can figure out the types of fair rewards, then it will be great to play those content again :)
  • TransmuteJunTransmuteJun Member Posts: 2,125
    Shteevie said:

@TransmuteJun @paintbeast
    You'll be able to see it soon for yourselves if you don't want to take my word for it, but a player with level 20 survivors who plays the same number of mission in the new system as the average player did in the current system will actually get more total TG.

So, hopefully you can find a little optimism about trying the new challenge system out for this reason, if not for any other.

Thank you for the information, Shteevie. I will be trying out the new challenge system regardless. I play to 400 stars now, and I hope I will continue to get the same amount of TG under the new challenge system,. If I do, I should be happy. (I only say 'should' because NG has a history of surprising me when I least expect it...).
    Marcus6253ggbatsgespuer
  • mongo911mongo911 Member Posts: 939
    @TransmuteJun Said...

(I only say 'should' because NG has a history of surprising me when I least expect it...).

Which is the most, beautiful and accurate language as one person could say, concerning NextGames actions and decisions...

( me... I continually say " oh shit... They are gonna do/try ' this ' now... )

Shakes head and sighs...

I am easily confused by other people's, laziness and sloppiness and greed...

Any guess who might " now " be on my list, ( in 2017 )

Invader
    @Shteevie When you've got a minute I wouldn't mind a response to my questions. I'm not trying to pick a fight; they're genuine questions. Is it intentional to discourage a non-hero team-building strategy? If that's not the intention, can we expect some phone events that are helpful for non-hero team-building?
    Bad Pig
    Bad to the bone!
    The Notorious P.I.G.
    masmith93Captainslayer
  • MaebalzurakinMaebalzurakin Member Posts: 50

For me, the main reason for slowing play is the exponentially growing wall to character advancement. My characters are at 6 star and 500 character shards to advance a skill 1% just kills the enjoyment for me. If I did spend all 600 of my phones today, I might get a skill up 1% or I might add a star to a hero I will never use. Not sure why I should even bother.
    @Pig
    Heroes are the elite characters of the game, but non-hero survivors come in greater variety and can be upgraded faster. Given that hero call results are more rare, you could say that non-hero survivors are enjoying a permanent event. They are cheaper on the TG shop and come in greater numbers, as well.
    Captainslayer
    @Shteevie First, all that seems to me to be offset by the fact that the same pool of tokens is used for 3+ survivors on a non-hero team-building strategy. All my Darryl tokens go to Darryl. But my hunter tokens need to be split up among at least 3 hunters.

Second, this might explain why non-hero radio events are less frequent than hero radio events. But it doesn't give any reason why non-hero radio events should be non-existent. The only reason I can think of for them being non-existent, as opposed to infrequent, is a deliberate decision to discourage non-hero team-building. Whether that is NG's intention is a question I asked, directly but politely, which you haven't answered.

Third, this doesn't explain why there were non-hero radio events for a while after heroes entered the game, but then a decision was made to eliminate them. It sounds more like a post hoc rationalisation than an explanation, to be frank (an impression possibly confirmed for me by the fact that I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time I've asked for this explanation, and even now I didn't get it until I pressed a little). But I accept correction if I'm wrong.

Fourth, you may have decided that heroes are the elite characters, but I haven't. Tom is a better hunter than Darryl, Maggie, etc., in my estimation. You don't have to agree with my strategic estimation and choices, or any player's, but my question remains whether you intend to discourage my strategy.

Fifth, of course "you could say that non-hero survivors are enjoying a permanent event." Anyone could say that, but I would suspect that person had never experienced the joy of finding 2-3 non-heroes during ICELS as a reward for diligently saving phones. It was one of my biggest joys in the game, giving me a sense of strategic satisfaction. Sitting on 700 radios or so and wondering what classes and traits I would find, weighing up whether to keep this one or that one, being happy about that new assault but hoping next time to get that shooter I wanted and didn't find, the anticipation of saving up for the next event, the slight disappointment if I didn't find keepers offset by the excitement of having upgraded several existing survivors with tokens...

All this richness and variety of experience is now gone for me when it comes to the radio tower. Now it's grind for phones, make a call, grind for phones, make a call. I keep 1000 phones in the bank hoping to enjoy an event again some day: the senses of anticipation, disappointment, excitement, satisfaction, accomplishment, etc.

I agree whole-heartedly with the topic of this thread. Even this week, with increased radios, part of me says I should play more instead of letting my gas sit there. But then I realise I'd rather do something else, so I do. If I knew playing for phones could bring back some of that old excitement, it would be a different story.
    Bad Pig
    Bad to the bone!
    The Notorious P.I.G.
    JadenDodkongTransmuteJun
  • hiplnsdrftrhiplnsdrftr Member Posts: 198
    "non-hero survivors are enjoying a permanent event." @Shteevie

I laughed for a few seconds... then I puked a little.
    exploiting the loophole loophole
    CaptainslayerDodkongTransmuteJunATLAS-Z
  • masmith93masmith93 Member Posts: 3,522
    @TransmuteJun Glad to hear you received a response (even if it was negative) when you commented about the outpost qualifier during the supplies for eq event. I was ignored. I don't play them either and was beyond pissed off about it. Still am.
    Proud member of the Empty Memorial Club.
    WHMGTYSNNBC - Retirement Guild Leader
    Coming soon to Finland to hug Teeceezy.
    This space intentionally left blank.
    Jaden