Adventures in Ban Week

2»

Comments

• DoTakDoTak Member Posts: 1,964
    Mista Cotta!
    Walkerballzjester
  • ShteevieShteevie Staff Posts: 1,335
    Everyone banned on the 1st will be able to play the Challenge from the start.

Speaking as a member of the development team, and not as the decision-maker or as a member of support, the differences between a bug that players take advantage of and an exploit worthy of corrective action are intentional activity and impact on other players.

This last issue required a player to take a complicated series of actions in order to create the circumstance that allowed for the bug to occur. Closing the app at the exact right moment and then re-opening it, for example. The frequency of use which we used as the threshold for corrective action was set intentionally high so that players with disconnection issues or possible happenstance were not included in the reprimand. The impact on other players, namely the leaderboards disruption, means that every non-exploiting player was negatively impacted. This is the largest possible group of players that would be disadvantaged if they did not know of or if they choose to ignore the exploit.

With the 4 defending walkers issue, the player doesn't choose when their account was created or when they are attacked. The Double TG bug was fixed, but even then, didn't take anything away from the defenders. That's why they don't rise to the level of the recent star exploit.

It is different from how things were handled months ago; our leaderboards are more competitive and have more people in them, and we want people to know that the most obvious and natural way to play the game is the right way to go about things. This is how you build trust in the userbase. Also important, of course, is fixing our bugs, and that's why we keep contact with these forums and pay attention to what players here say. It's not always possible to fix everything immediately, but there are a number of things on our to-do list that are only there because players here reported them, and for that, we are very grateful.

Good luck in the new challenges, everyone! I'll be happy to see your feedback after they begin.
    Development Team Member - The Walking Dead: No Man's Land
    Please note: Development is a fluid process, and suggestions and implementation take time and iteration. Any discussion of future features, deadlines, updates, balance changes, and such should be considered prospective and subject to change.
    DLichNecroboogieSCBMA8900rpmggbats
  • ZardoxZardox Member Posts: 119
    There is a separate thread about outpost / walker management... as far as the punishment goes it was appropriate but should have been more severe.
    BttlOpeneratrainofficialTripodSCBMAbsgper4
  • dhusagardhusagar Member Posts: 36
    @Shteevie - what about those that scored disproportionately highly in the latest quest? Say, over 600 stars?
  • TeeceezyTeeceezy Staff Posts: 3,576
    Shut_Up said:

I have also heard from several players that this threshold you refer to was lower than doing it 5 times. That's a pretty low threshold.

This is incorrect.
  • ShteevieShteevie Staff Posts: 1,335
    Shut_Up said:

If you want to build trust with the player base NG should fix all the bugs much faster than NG does now.

I have a feeling that the star bug was found because of the long guild load times. Someone probably started a challenge and they lost their connection and when they came back they probably couldn't get back into the challenge so they used their gas on another type of mission and suddenly they found the flaw in the game.

I have also heard from several players that this threshold you refer to was lower than doing it 5 times. That's a pretty low threshold.

-If our playerbase were willing to wait for an additional 2-4 months for new features to be implemented, or if the opportunities presented by the TV show could be ignored, then I would agree that what you say about faster releases with more fixes would be possible. 2.2 and 2.4 were possibly the biggest releases, in terms of work hours, that the game has every seen. There is an adage in software development that "nine women cannot make a baby in one month". Some of these issues are not solvable by simply scaling up the team.

I think you are right about the discovery of the star exploit. It doesn't mean that we should have found it sooner, as the loading of these missions was not a feature touched by recent updates, and therefore would not reasonably be test cases for those releases. It also shows how we need to make smart decisions as a development team about the length of time we investigate bugs with unknown causes versus fixing those where a cause can easily be determined. And furthermore, each of those needs to be weighed against the implementation of new features that give the players reasons to keep playing. The mandatory update whose feature list includes only "Various bug fixes and improvements" is quite often the most damaging thing a company can do to the profitability and longevity of their game.

Many players make assumptions about the accuracy of the exploit use detection or the leniency threshold. They are incompletely informed [purposely] as to the methods we have available, and therefore cannot make accurate estimates. They also have a motivation to downplay their own involvement in the issue. I will say, to our case, that the list of players suspected was cross-referenced by using a different set of parameters that would identify them as exploiters, and the results were identical. Players who only registered 5 uses of the exploit were not banned.

If software was easy, some of us would have quit a long time ago. These challenges are of our own making, but when I say pithy-sounding stuff like "always forward", I'm also reminding myself that it applies to community communication, transparency, fairness, and company standards for acceptable quality. We are pushing ourselves to continue to improve, even if by baby steps. Trust me - no one is harder on our game than we are.
    Development Team Member - The Walking Dead: No Man's Land
    Please note: Development is a fluid process, and suggestions and implementation take time and iteration. Any discussion of future features, deadlines, updates, balance changes, and such should be considered prospective and subject to change.
    Marcus6253
  • 8900rpm8900rpm Member Posts: 114
    @SCBMA Quote the whole statement..
    " that the list of players suspected was cross-referenced by using a different set of parameters"
    2 sets of parameters identified the same exploiters...
  • Squall_NMLSquall_NML Member Posts: 737
    Talking about fairness.. When NG banned ppl for exploit unofficial bugs, did they also give gift to non exploiters? From my perspective and understanding fairness it's all about punishment and reward :smirk:
    jimmorrison369Jaden
  • atrainofficialatrainofficial Member Posts: 255
    Non- exploiters got a radio event and a 24 hour 1 minute gas event.
    SCBMAGovernatorJaden
  • atrainofficialatrainofficial Member Posts: 255
    @Governator as long as i'm not in it, go right on ahead haha nature and a social life is cool but so is finding out what's in the TG Shop restock :smile:
    Governator