What to upgrade.. Noob question

Alseyn_BalvedaAlseyn_Balveda Member Posts: 2
Hi All, I hope this is not too obvious a question, but about upgrading gear of different qualities. I have for example 2 pistols, 1 is lvl 7 rare with 3 traits the other lvl 6 epic with 3 traits. As it stands the rare pistol has more attack power.

My question is, is it "always" better to upgrade the higher quality item? Or is it simply a case of looking for desired traits? What if the share the same traits?

Mods: Feel free to move this post if you feel elsewhere would be more appropriate.

Thanks

Comments

• GladiGladi Member Posts: 616
    @Alseyn_Balveda
    a)there is no big sense upgrading your gear at your lvl(I assume your survs are about same lvl as those pistols)
    b)if you want to upgrade any weapon, you should care also about traits it has.
    So in this case it is really hard to answer. I would suggest you to not upgrade those weapons, but use your XP to upgrade your survs. Once you will get to survivors lvl15 or so, you can slow down and upgrade your equip.
    JayZT_12jimmorrison369SCBMAautumn_ash
  • JayZJayZ Member Posts: 3,171
    No way. Strongly disagree about waiting until level 15 to upgrade your equipment. If you do that, you're going to find challenge missions and season 7 trials to be a real pain in the butt.

You don't have to upgrade all of your gear at every level, but you should see this thread for why it's important to upgrade your gear: http://forums.nextgames.com/walkingdead/discussion/22580/psa-upgrade-your-gear-and-tell-your-guildmates-to-do-so

Personally, when my characters were all lower levels, I would rather focus on traits. I'm not sure what the traits are on the two pistols you have, but generally I would take an epic pistol with better traits and 1 lower level over a rare pistol with poor traits when you are a low-mid level player.

When you're much higher level, the decision calculus changes because walker health increases exponentially.
    Elder in Legacy Eh, a top 10 global Challenge and Guild Wars guild
    PM me or visit this link to join the Eh family!
    Visit this link for my Distance and Challenge strategy videos
    jimmorrison369DoTakSCBMAAlseyn_Balveda
  • GladiGladi Member Posts: 616
    @JayZ He will have to show some skill, but still be able to finish those S7 missions. With lvl15s without proper gear, I was able to do challenge +3 lvls, so it is not that hard...what I call hard is +5 lvls ant yet some ppl can do even better.
    T_12
  • T_12T_12 Member Posts: 712
    @JayZ I only half agree with you coz the roadblock mission was a pain in the ass only because i had a low level weapon
    Alive!
  • jimmorrison369jimmorrison369 Member Posts: 1,922
    Upgrading some equipment every now and then is better, I agree with jayz on that part. (not necessarily exactly like he suggests, but I do like his suggestions.)

A lot of people playing this game don't get mad skills immediately (or never will for that matter),
    and not being able to finish a season mission can suck big time.

So upgrading a weapon here and there is fine, don't make to much of an issue of it.
    Upgrade some stuff to experience certain skills and the impact of other rarity's.
    This will improve you in your road to finding the play-style that suits you.
    Just don't get to attached to the gear for now.

Don't overdo it either. Just a couple of weapons and gear for those hard missions.
    (also like jayz says, You don't have to do it for every survivor level either.)

Back on topic.
    Usually, the higher starting level from a rare, beats the legendary/epic that is one level lower.
    But the traits of the epic/legendary weapons are of course much better then those of a rare.
    So even though the rare does more damage, the traits of the epic/legendary might nullify that.

But in your case, you might be better of just to wait a little. (like gladi suggests, but waiting till upgrade any equip till lvl15 is a bit to much imo)
    Find a legendary/epic that is higher level. Then upgrade.
    Next month all your current weapons are useless so don't think to much of it.
    JayZAlseyn_BalvedaT_12
  • MabikiMabiki Member Posts: 1,732
    I agree with @JayZ

Nothing increased my enjoyment of the game more than playing with weapon traits at lower levels. The XP cost is pretty minimal compared to when you have level 15 survivors, and it is fun to take advantage of traits and explore different combinations.

I think it's well worth the xp and time to upgrade weapons even at low levels. I always had at least one upgraded weapon for each class that was at least close to my survivor level.

I tend to favor upgrading an epic with good traits even if it is lower level than another rare weapon.

I still have a few of them I'm holding onto until I really need xp.

jimmorrison369JayZT_12
  • Jester_CGFJester_CGF Member Posts: 84
    Difficult question to answer not knowing your playstyle/times per week, and also how good/bad your Survivors are. If your playtimes are high, I would recommend holding off on Equipment upgrades until Level 15ish, +/- a few levels based on Survivor Traits (if you have a camp full of badasses you can prolly get away without upgrading gear till Survivor Level 16-18. If you have basic Survivors, lots of Uncommon/Rares but few Epic/Legendary Survivors, I would suggest mixing in Equipment Upgrades at Survivor Level 10-12 to balance it out.

Playtimes are only important becuz at such low level (Survivor Level 6), within a week or 2 the equipment will be outdated anyways, so you'd be better off getting Survivors up for now IMO. If you play very casually tho, an Equipment upgrade might last a month or 2 so it would be worth it.

Hope this helps.

"Individually, we are but drops of water in the ocean. But together, we are the ocean!"
    Dodkong
  • MLHMLH Member Posts: 82
    My survivors are lvl 12/13, and I'm finding that it's only just now kind of becoming worth it to upgrade weapons, and only if the trait unlocked at the next level is worth it. You go through weapons so quickly when you can train for less than 100k. That said, I'm not rushing through the chapters. I mostly play the weekly challenges and scavenge.
  • Alseyn_BalvedaAlseyn_Balveda Member Posts: 2
    Thanks everyone, that is just the advice I was looking for. So far my playstyle has involved mainly 2 shooters and a hunter. Just obtained my first warrior and Rosita(assault). Since posting I've gotten really into experimenting with trait combo's. Will persevere as its a good and challenging game, being a member of a superb guild helps also.

Again, many thanks all