PSA: Upgrade your gear (and tell your guildmates to do so)

tl;dr - Upgrade your gear approximately every other survivor level and stop complaining about how hard challenge missions are.

There have been a ridiculous number of posts complaining about how the new structure of the challenges is too difficult for not maxed out players. Similarly, over the last few months, there have been a number of complaints about trial mission difficulty.

I'm willing to bet that one common factor for all of these complainers is that they are upgrading their survivors too quickly and neglecting to upgrade their gear.

Why should you upgrade your gear?
1. Your weapons will do more damage (i.e., you can kill things in fewer shots) and your armor will give you more health (i.e., you can withstand more hits).
2. The traits on your gear can make or break a mission. Swift strike, wide spread, wide arc, etc. can potentially double the number of walkers you hit in one turn. Stun resistance puts fatties to shame, dodge/iron skin/health boost will allow you to take a few extra hits, and wrestler might give you an extra turn or two.

What are the disadvantages to upgrading your gear?
1. You might progress more slowly through the game. But is this really a disadvantage? As a player who has been maxed out for a couple of months, I would encourage you to take your time. Once you reach the top, you start running out of things to do and begin to lose interest in the game.
2. You spend XP that could be used on survivor upgrades. Yes, this kind of stinks, but think of this as life training. Unless you're filthy rich, you'll have to make tough decisions and evaluate how to best spend your IRL XP (e.g., money), so deciding how to best spend your XP is really just preparing you for IRL (disclaimer: for those of you that take things too seriously, this is mostly a joke).

How you should you upgrade your gear?
1. It's important to note that you don't need to upgrade your gear at every survivor level. When I was working my way through the game, I enjoyed staggering my gear upgrades.
2. Use maxed out equipment that is the same level or greater than your survivor level. This should allow you to beat missions that are 1-2 RSL higher than your top survivor (as long as you're playing intelligently).
3. Let's say my survivors were level 15. I would upgrade level 15 gear all the way to level 18, and that gear was still sufficient when my survivors were level 16 and level 17. Once I hit level 17, I'd start upgrading level 17 gear all the way up to level 20. That gear would usually last my survivors through when they were about level 19 and facing level 21 walkers.
4. Staggering your gear upgrades ensures that any gear that you're using is always better than any non-upgraded gear that you might find. Furthermore, it reduces the grind and still allows you to progress at a reasonable speed (but not too fast such that you won't be able to handle challenge missions or trials).
Proud member of Mavericks OG, a top 3 global GW and challenge guild.
Message me on the forums or on Line (ID: jayztwdnml) if you're interested in joining the Mavericks family of guilds.

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGSePrANMyf_S_YKJyfJodg
Strategy compendium: https://forums.nextgames.com/walkingdead/discussion/41787/jayzs-nml-strategy-compendium
DotMatrixjimmorrison369MaD VapoRkryptonixjeffstasykggbatsbababooeyantdeb1hdRandy781RisSCBMALadyDixonDanofthedeadDLichWalkerballzVerbaubSerpbigbeanoJadencarlos1981iozzegKalordpapajon81DoTakOlausTheNick[Deleted User]bucko69TheCrabTapatio75Pigwrinkled_bagSurvivor420WeekOne_wendy_szgerg77widowmakerMarkautumn_ashRedEye52kampionsrmcn1031SmittySpivey3soggybottomsGunny_Highwaystick_ninjaanniesprinkles

Comments

• JadenJaden Member Posts: 3,067
    Since I wanted the community event pistol to be level 20 I upgraded my shooter and yes, that made everything more difficult. Especially since I didn't have matching gear.

Yes, having lower level gear or gear that isn't upgraded makes everything hard, too. I realised that very soon (so I always wondered why so many people never seem to upgrade their gear).

If only I had level 20 gear for my hunter and assault...
    Leader of Morbid Sinners and Morbid Spirits

Morbid Survivors are looking for you! If you are looking for a new guild, PM me.
    JayZMaverick1969
  • JayZJayZ Member Posts: 3,709
    @Jaden lol, my Hunters are all well equipped (level 20 legendary rifles with gold bore, luck, and destructive/piercing/lethal seem to fall out of trees for me), but my Assaults are woefully under-equipped. I would love to find a rifle with gold spread and just one other useful trait.
    Message me on the forums or on Line (ID: jayztwdnml) if you're interested in joining the Mavericks family of guilds.

Strategy compendium: https://forums.nextgames.com/walkingdead/discussion/41787/jayzs-nml-strategy-compendium
    bigbeanosoggybottoms
  • JadenJaden Member Posts: 3,067
    Only decent gear I have that is fully upgraded is said pistol. I have some level 22 assault armor and rifle but That's still not good enough. And let's not talk about my poor hunters. :p
    Leader of Morbid Sinners and Morbid Spirits

Morbid Survivors are looking for you! If you are looking for a new guild, PM me.
    JayZ
  • JayZJayZ Member Posts: 3,709
    Bumpity bump! I imagine we're going to see some complaints in some of the later trial missions for this week's season 7 mission. Hope you all have some upgraded gear with Interrupt and Stun Resistance!

TheLostOnes
  • numennumen Member Posts: 32
    I started this game by upgrading gear faster than survivors and I churned through so many missions and had no problem doing 1-2+ RSL missions.

Then I read a bunch of people talking about how upgrading didn't make much sense, because you'll hit a gear cap soon and that's where the XP was worth it. So I took that view and didn't even upgrade my workshop much.

Missions are definitely a bit harder now, but I'm still moving along and getting 1+ RSL done fine. Hard scavenges just got harder for me, though, so I'm probably going to have to work on the equipment.