Workshop prior to training grounds ?

Level 59 . Got workshop, training grounds and tents to upgrade. Usually would always level training grounds first but this time I m unsure.

At 12M, I feel it would be more efficient to spend xp on l21 items that must be upgraded 3 times each instead of leveling my survivors. Thus I m leaning towards leveling workshop first so my xp can be spent more efficiently ( assuming you have leg l21 items waiting to be upgraded )

What is worst : spending xp on l20 items or having l24 items that I cant use right now ?
SpringChicken

Comments

• GrimGaelGrimGael Member Posts: 1,410
    That's my plan, but we'll see when it's time to press the button.
  • GrimGaelGrimGael Member Posts: 1,410
    Maybe so. But I have a whole herd at the camp and they're going to be chirping for xp like baby birds. I rushed getting to level 19 and had no upgraded gear within 3 levels of anyone for a long time. I think I might do this one differently.
  • MabikiMabiki Member Posts: 1,732
    I started upgrading workshop prior to training grounds once my survivors got around level 17 for the reasons cited in the OP, and because I was consistently pulling higher level gear I wanted to use as soon as I hit the next survivor level.

I think it makes sense at higher levels but I wouldn't advise it to players with low to mid-level survivors.
  • TransmuteJunTransmuteJun Member Posts: 1,840
    I am planning on upgrading my workshop first, because an increase in survivor level means an increase in RSL for challenges and scavenge missions. I'd rather my survivors have (some) upgrade gear when the RSL goes up.
    DLichTheLostOnesRedEye52
  • DLichDLich Member Posts: 5,510
    As stupid as this sounds, I am doing training grounds first cause I want a lvl 21 flamethrower and will only attain that if my survivor is lvl 21 when I accept it. I have 4 days and need 3.5 million supplies to do it. I do plan to rush with gold the upgrade once I spent the supplies of course.

I understand it's a rare weapon but it looks cool and wouldn't mind having one that's somewhat useful. A lvl 20 base is comparable a lvl 22 upgrade (from my understanding of the damage output being 1 less damage RSL) but at least a lvl 21 one will give me a lvl 23 comparable damage when fully upgraded.

To each their own.

| OG | NOC | USA | UK | CA | CQR | UC | RAD | ZEN |
    Other Leaders | Kick_ass | Pic | abailey362 | GunnerGaz | JMo2127 |
    MAVERICK'S 1 Million Star Club | OG | USA | NOC
    Analyze This with ALF4reals | v1 | v2 | v3 |
    | My YouTube Videos | My 1st Interview | Best Analogy Award!! |

Freemium... the "mium" is latin for 'not really'
    SCBMAGrimGaelRedEye52
  • DoTakDoTak Member Posts: 1,964
    @DLich
    This probably belongs in (one of) the flamethrower thread(s), but here's what I am guessing it's final upgraded damage to be:

level 20 = 376
    level 21 = 447 (did one upgrade to find pattern)
    at this point, it looked like it could follow the upgrade pattern of Legendary Hunter/Scout armor therefore
    level 22 = 531
    level 23 = 632
    level 24 = 753

753 being slightly less damage than a Legendary level 21 assault rifle at 766

But surely someone has the BBQ upgraded already and can provide a screenshot

• General_QuatreGeneral_Quatre Member Posts: 917
    @TransmuteJun I see your logic, but don't forget a higher RSL means you'll get slightly higher rewards (and probably can farm for more XP), even without the best gear. I only have 1 level 21 (Maggie, Epic) and I'm farming 50-60K+ in Normal Scavenges. This will then help me get more XP to level my stuff up sooner, so that's how I approach it.
    paintbeast
  • 1Ris1Ris Member Posts: 186
    @DoTak base lvl 20

DoTakRedEye52
  • TransmuteJunTransmuteJun Member Posts: 1,840

@TransmuteJun I see your logic, but don't forget a higher RSL means you'll get slightly higher rewards (and probably can farm for more XP), even without the best gear. I only have 1 level 21 (Maggie, Epic) and I'm farming 50-60K+ in Normal Scavenges. This will then help me get more XP to level my stuff up sooner, so that's how I approach it.

I hope you're right. I'd like to be optimistic, but NG has let me down so many times... and it's going to be a long while before I have level 21s, so I won't be there for some time.
    @DLich
    yeah
    My intention was just to show the numbers, or at least what I thought them to be, and present the facts without showing any bias. Just thought it would be best for people to know what they're getting if they're rushing camp upgrades to get this thing at the highest level. Not trying to dissuade anyone though
    DLich
  • JayZJayZ Member Posts: 2,892
    I'm doing Training Grounds first, but mostly only because I don't have a single piece of level 21 equipment worth upgrading, lol.
  • General_QuatreGeneral_Quatre Member Posts: 917
    Same @JayZ -- I'm waiting until I get to Level 60 (which requires both Workshop and Training Grounds ANYWAY) to get level 21 gear from TG Shop Crates, so I'll have a completed Workshop for a day or two while I buy up some useful gear (hopefully they don't still have level 20 gear by end-game...)
  • David_H79David_H79 Moderator Posts: 1,865
    @DoTak @DLich
    The damage is even less.
    Not worth to hurry to get an assault to level 21.
    Maybe it is fun to burn down blocking TG defenders. I will see.
    GrimGael
    Thank you @David_H79 for posting that. Honestly, if you hadn't provided that screenshot, and just said its 706, I would have thought you were mistaken. It's just bizarre that it goes 376, 447, 531?, 632, then 706 instead of 753, but whatever, there are many odd things in the game that don't follow patterns, or only do sometimes.