[ANALYSIS] Walker, equipment, and survivor progression

Comments

• quitJOSHinquitJOSHin Member Posts: 134
    Yea I'm not happy with this balance progression either. It is definitely evident that they originally only planned things out till lvl 20. They have said that before, but even if they hadn't it's pretty obvious. They seem clueless on how to continue the game and keep our progress feeling rewarding.

On a side note: You can upgrade ONE survivor without it changing your starting level for challenges. I picked my overall favorite survivor and upgraded her and only her til I get good gear for all my survivors, or lose interest in the game altogether. Whichever comes first.
    Capletonggbats
  • TransmuteJunTransmuteJun Member Posts: 2,019

On a side note: You can upgrade ONE survivor without it changing your starting level for challenges. I picked my overall favorite survivor and upgraded her and only her til I get good gear for all my survivors, or lose interest in the game altogether. Whichever comes first.

I did that so I could get the flamethrower at level 21. But my scavenge missions are now 1 RSL higher, although the challenge is unchanged.

quitJOSHinJaden
    @TransmuteJun
    Mine was an assault too so I got my lvl 21 flamethrower. And yeah it does raise your scavenge mission level but that doesn't bother me personally as much as the challenge missions. Something to consider though
    Jaden
  • iozzegiozzeg Member Posts: 157
    So leveling 2 survivors from lvl 20 to lvl 21 is going to raise the starting level of chalanges from 14 to 15? Is this confirmed? Because i heard someone say you could upgrade two and still start on lvl 14. Can someone clear this one out for me? Thanks!
    @iozzeg
    http://forums.nextgames.com/walkingdead/discussion/24720/challenge-starting-level-changes-announcement

Starting Difficulty:
    This is based on the levels of your top three survivors. The number of stars they have is not considered. Based on the levels of your team, you should see the following starting difficulties:

2 or more level 18 Survivors: Starting Difficulty 13
    2 or more level 19 Survivors: Starting Difficulty 14
    2 or more level 20 Survivors: Starting Difficulty 14
    2 or more level 21 Survivors: Starting Difficulty 15
    Guapo
  • falowynfalowyn Member Posts: 73
    edited April 2017
    That was some excellent data gathering and analysis. For players that are pushing the limits of each week's challenge, upgrading from 20 to 21 will be more difficult.

However, Challenges are not the only activity in the game. There are additional things to consider:
    * Outpost offense and defense is easier if you are level 21.
    * Rewards in chests increase based on your survivor level.
    * You can only store so much experience before you have to spend it or lose it.
    * The progression curve may never return to the previous normal. Do you intend to stay at level 20 in perpetuity?
    * If the curve is 'fixed', then it will immediately reward players who have already completed the level 21 upgrade. It will take a long time (or a lot of gold) to catch up.
    KaLiSerpPigMovado
  • PigPig Member Posts: 1,870
    It's not worth it to me. Pushing higher in challenges is the only thing in the game that interests me now. They can fix it or I can stay at 20, I don't mind either way.

Will I stay at 20 forever? Probably not. Eventually I'll stop playing altogether.
    Bad Pig
    Bad to the bone!
    The Notorious P.I.G.
    "I'm stuck in forum prison, and time keeps draggin' on"
    "I’ve never said I’m a perfect pig, nor pretended to be someone that I’m not."
    GuapoCaptainslayerWallStreetgcheong85
    @Guapo YES
    Bad Pig
    Bad to the bone!
    The Notorious P.I.G.
  • VudnikVudnik Member Posts: 307
    Pretty sure the reason the devs and the CEO have been relatively amiss in the forum lately is because they have all been busy around the boardroom table, for days now, trying to manufacture yet another "believable" excuse for this debacle. Considering they have just gone public on the stock market with their recent IPO one would think that they should actually, finally care about customer opinion. Here's mine...
    Conan1976Annette578WallStreetgcheong85
  • paintbeastpaintbeast Member Posts: 1,188
    As @kiwinz7 said, I've also never seen another game where upgrading is detrimental and I'm a first generation video gamer. I've been playing games since PONG.
    PigJadenDIblis
  • JuanloJuanlo Member Posts: 89
    edited April 2017
    falowyn said:

* The progression curve may never return to the previous normal. Do you intend to stay at level 20 in perpetuity?

No, but I think I will focus on upgrading gear to lvl24 and start upgrading more survivors to 21 only when I have a great set of weapons and armor for my main team.
  • xbassmanxbassman Member Posts: 28
    Great post JayZ!

I'm glad we're still talking about this.
    I play for maximum challenge stars. It was the only way to demonstratably show the strength of your survivor crew. Well at least before 2.5. Sadly I didn't realize I'd been punked until I had 3 survivors upgraded.

What makes it worse, seeing my high star count which is unobtainable for months. It's a shame that wasn't wiped clean as well.
    GuapoDLichPigWallStreet
  • GuapoGuapo Member Posts: 980
    Top guilds are losing top players, NG is hurting the players that spend money (only way to get 21s that fast, so they know who they affected), and we are being told this is intended. I honestly don't get it. It's an easy fix, make the 21 upgrades comparable to the other 19 in the game. It isn't a large request, and it should be an easy fix. People are upset about starting a round later, but that is equal across the levels. At least that makes sense and is fair. Everyone is upset about the level 21 survivor and equipment upgrade (as much of everyone as can be assumed from the players left). Honestly this is worse than the huge mistake they made with rsl start levels, and they saw the results and fixed that. Why is this still an issue?
    In a way, all of us has an El Guapo to face. For some, shyness might be their El Guapo. For others, a lack of education might be their El Guapo. For us, El Guapo is a big, dangerous man who wants to kill us.
    JadenWallStreet
  • MonsutaMonsuta Member Posts: 1,168
    NG should at least give the person responsible for the base level 21 gears nerfed a pay cut for a month for this stupid decision. :/
    There is NO higher rarity when we use all legendary to craft the badge, we are being punished for having a chance to get LOWER rarity.
    This is NOT WORKING AS INTENDED & it's UNFAIR.
  • CapletonCapleton Member Posts: 441
    Nobody ever thought that it might be intented to give newer players the chance to compete?

There was the infamous job offer talking about player life value and how to squeeze out as much as possible. The last update worked fine from that point of view: the veteran players rushed to upgrade their stuff and paid for it. The not already maxed out players are able now to score as high or even higher as players with survivors +1 level and are motivated to keep playing (and spending).

So it was a win-win update from NGs pov. For me as a player there is no benefit. Ony if there would have been new content especially new story missions. The only part of the game where a higher level of survivors/gear was needed to succeed (after the human enemy buff).

And do not tell me that raiding/defending outposts is easier with upgraded stuff. It was easy before the update and it still is. No matter if you are using 20s or 21s.

From my point of view the game was designed and planned to end at lvl 20 back in the days. Everything that came after that was improvised and was no improvement...

Just my 2 cents.
    Moriturus te salutat

Found his home in Asylum
  • DaleDale Member Posts: 1,122
    I'm just finding it difficult to care anymore.
    BttlOpenerWallStreet
  • MabikiMabiki Member Posts: 1,732
    Is there any reason to upgrade from level 19 to 20?
    Mabiki said:

Is there any reason to upgrade from level 19 to 20?

Of course. Going from 19 to 20 makes your survivors better at story missions, scavenging, outposts, and episode missions without making them worse at challenges. By contrast, going from 20 to 21 makes them better at other game modes, but worse at challenges.
    Bad Pig
    Bad to the bone!
    The Notorious P.I.G.
    GuapofalowynJaden
  • EL34xyzEL34xyz Member Posts: 1,872
    I am holding all my srvrs at level 20
    It will be a long time before I consider taking them up to level 21
    JadenPigCaptainslayer
  • EL34xyzEL34xyz Member Posts: 1,872
    edited April 2017
    Guapo said:

@EL34xyz it's worth promoting 1.

It will be a long time for me because I have so many other things to upgrade first
    I like to upgrade my whole camp, weapons and armor before I jump my srvrs up another level