Challenge starting level and new heroes

Starting level of a challenge works like this:

2 or more level 18 Survivors: Starting Difficulty 13
2 or more level 19 Survivors: Starting Difficulty 14
2 or more level 20 Survivors: Starting Difficulty 14
2 or more level 21 Survivors: Starting Difficulty 15

However I've got reports of some people with 2 level 21 survivors starting at level 14. Apparently these people only upgraded 1 survivor to 21, and then unlocked a hero directly at level 21 after getting enough tokens. Is it possible that unlocking a new hero won't count as upgrading a survivor? Or maybe these people are lying/wrong?

@Shteevie @Teeceezy

Comments

• DjinnDjinn Member Posts: 167
    I have 2 level 18 survivors, and start at level 12

Line id: djinn1982
  • zeeblackzeeblack Member Posts: 1,058
    In order to address this situation, let the players decide which level they want to start with.

Using the list posted by @Shteevie, the options for the players may be as under

3 survivors of level 13 - Starting difficulty 8 or 9 or 10
    3 survivors of level 14 - Starting difficulty 9 or 10 or 11
    3 survivors of level 15/16 - Starting difficulty 10 or 11 or 12
    3 survivors of level 17 - Starting difficulty 11 or 12 or 13
    3 survivors of level 18/19 - Starting difficulty 12 or 13 or 14
    3 survivors of level 20 - Starting difficulty 13 or 14 or 15
    3 survivors of level 21 - Starting difficulty 14 or 15 or 16

This would provide the players with an option to remain at their previous level or go for an increased level of difficulty. It would be win win for all

I am Black, Zee Black, Level SeVeNtY tWo with hUnDrEd ThOuSaNd sTaRs, Elder, SG Woot, tWo MiLlIoN star guild
    RedEye52SpringChickenant
  • PigPig Member Posts: 1,870
    And now we have to avoid unlocking new heroes in order to avoid getting penalised for having too many level 21s.
    Shteevie said:

Unlocking a hero means that the new hero will always be at your maximum possible survivor level, and that hero will be taken into account when the starting level of difficulty is determined.

Considering how much heroes have been promoted since their arrival, it's a little weird to give us this disincentive for unlocking them!
    Bad Pig
    Bad to the bone!
    The Notorious P.I.G.
    "I'm stuck in forum prison, and time keeps draggin' on"
    "I’ve never said I’m a perfect pig, nor pretended to be someone that I’m not."
    Vudnik
  • NecroboogieNecroboogie Member Posts: 1,108
    Just remember theres already been comments in threads that players had different starting RSL with different combos of 21's...chance it at your own risk, a few people posting that they can have 2 21's and not increase doesn't mean you won't.
    Too many other problems to trust that it works correctly
    Guapo
  • GuapoGuapo Member Posts: 980
    I want to hear from someone who actually has 2 21s (preferably not heros) that they started at 14. I haven't heard or seen that, and everything from ng before this morning's post by @Shteevie says 2 survivors is what raises the difficulty. Forgive my skepticism :-)
    In a way, all of us has an El Guapo to face. For some, shyness might be their El Guapo. For others, a lack of education might be their El Guapo. For us, El Guapo is a big, dangerous man who wants to kill us.
    Jaden
    @CarolsCookies And that is what I was asking. Thank you for clarifying this (again). Good grief people. SMH
    In a way, all of us has an El Guapo to face. For some, shyness might be their El Guapo. For others, a lack of education might be their El Guapo. For us, El Guapo is a big, dangerous man who wants to kill us.
    CarolsCookies
    Funny how things that benefit the players are fixed immediately, (like extra radios in crates) or at least as soon as someone posts in forum telling them we are happy about something.
    antFragzieWalkerballz
  • WahooDawgWahooDawg Member Posts: 450
    Think I'll stick with one level 21 survivor for now...
    PigJadentabernacGuapo
  • SteeboonSteeboon Member Posts: 507
    edited April 2017
    @Guapo I have two lvl 21 survivors (one *hero unlocked at 21, one trained up to 21) and I started off at RSL 14. So the new table given by Shteevie is correct.

*Edited post
    Except carols cookies just said the opposite.
    David_H79tabernac
  • SteeboonSteeboon Member Posts: 507
    Maybe because hers are promoted survivors and not unlocked?
  • CarolsCookiesCarolsCookies Member Posts: 107
    Steeboon said:

Nope. My level 21 were not unlocked hero survivors. They were just survivors trained to lvl 21
    Maybe I just have bad luck
  • David_H79David_H79 Moderator Posts: 1,866
    Things like Challenge Starting Level should not be based on luck.
    It's really annoying these days.
  • Justin_nmlJustin_nml Member Posts: 5

Steeboon said:

Nope. My level 21 were not unlocked hero survivors. They were just survivors trained to lvl 21
    There seems to be some miscommunication here. As far as I can tell, @CarolsCookies disagreed with @Steeboon, but then confirmed exactly what he just suggested.

Promoted survivors definitely count towards starting level, the question is whether unlocked heroes do.
  • Justin_nmlJustin_nml Member Posts: 5
    Shteevie said:

The list given above was the intent, and we were a bit baffled after 2.5 by why the reports were wrong even after we made changes.

The more accurate list of effects and starting levels looks like this:

3 survivors of level 13 - Starting difficulty 9
    3 survivors of level 14 - Starting difficulty 10
    3 survivors of level 15 - Starting difficulty 11
    3 survivors of level 16 - Starting difficulty 11
    3 survivors of level 17 - Starting difficulty 12
    3 survivors of level 18 - Starting difficulty 13
    3 survivors of level 19 - Starting difficulty 13
    3 survivors of level 20 - Starting difficulty 14
    3 survivors of level 21 - Starting difficulty 15

Unlocking a hero means that the new hero will always be at your maximum possible survivor level, and that hero will be taken into account when the starting level of difficulty is determined.

As of now, since there was so much confusion about this issue and it is a sensitive matter for many players, we will not be making any changes to this at least up to the next update. Any adjustments that will be in a future update will be discussed in the patch notes for that update.

Hope this helps!

@Shteevie Not sure if I'm misunderstanding something here, but this list seems completely inaccurate, doesn't it? 2 survivors is enough to start at the next level, not 3.
    Guapo
    Or just make it the way it was before, when it made sense to upgrade like literally every other game in the world.
    CaptainslayerGrimGaelPigpaintbeast

Steeboon said:

There seems to be some miscommunication here. As far as I can tell, @CarolsCookies disagreed with @Steeboon, but then confirmed exactly what he just suggested.

Promoted survivors definitely count towards starting level, the question is whether unlocked heroes do.
    Sorry for the confusion. All I was trying to say is that I had 2 lvl 21 survivors and started at lvl 15 in the challenge. I had leveled them up to 21. I had no other hero survivors unlocked at level 21 at that time. My experience was that 2 lvl 21 brought me straight to lvl 15, not 3.