Walker Pit: Current System Unfair, Wildly Unpopular, Suggested Changes

Dear Staff of No Man's Land,

I am writing to inform you of an issue with your game concerning the Walker Pit. Currently, the Walker Pit has perverse incentives and inequities. For one, the Walker Pit is currently set up so that it rewards players that do not upgrade the pit and, instead, helps raiders acquire more boxes and experience points.

Descriptively, the current maximum level for walkers is 21. This level does not constitute a significant barrier for upper level players and instead helps raiders obtain their charge easier. For reference, I currently have survivors that are level 17 that have no issue with taking out these walkers. I can only imagine it is even easier once I get to levels 18, 19, or 20.

As you well know, the charge ability is one of the key contributors to a raider's success. Without the charge ability, their chances are severely curtailed. This bizarre attribute of the game has led many players to not upgrading their walker pit at all. In many cases, outposts have too few walkers for a raider to even earn the charge ability. Moreover, many raiders only do raids for boxes and since the number of boxes is correlated with the level of your walker pit upgrades then many will simply bypass those outposts that offer little in the way of boxes, e.g. 323 boxes, compared to over 500 boxes.

Given this, the current status quo for the Walker Pit actually penalizes players that upgrade, thereby giving more XPs to raiders, along with more boxes.

These conditions have led many players wishing that they could downgrade their walker pits. I hope you find that as shocking and indicative of a poor conditions set forth above.

I propose - many others have suggested this before me but I'm making a formal proposal to you - that another upgrade of the game be made that will allow for an even higher upgrade. Perhaps up to level 23 or 24. The objective should be to make the playing field even. Another way to change it is to have a higher minimum level of walkers, so that everyone can get the charge ability for all their raiders. Similarly, I would change how the number of boxes is determined so that those who have upgraded their Walker Pits are not unfairly targeted with a higher frequency given the current incentive described above.

In the end, changes should be made so that everyone in the game should be incentivized to upgrade their walker pit if they intend to do raids. To do otherwise would be foolhardy.

Please check the forum and note that these objections have been raised by many other people. In the spirit of making the game the very best it can be, I hope that you discuss this subject and deliberate the best way to make changes going forward.

Sincerely,
Spike
ekimhclewT_12splaggCaptainslayer

Comments

• splaggsplagg Member Posts: 93
    I like it.
    What if the amount of trade goods a player received from a raid was related to the level of their own outpost rather than the level of the outpost they are raiding? That would give players incentive to level up their own outpost so that they would get more trade goods on raids.
    ekimhclewHuman3001Digxfalowyn
  • The_JerThe_Jer Member Posts: 293
    The notion that outposts with minimum numbers of walkers severely hamper the raider as they are unable to charge their team is in my opinion a hot steaming pile. Whether I go into a maxed outpost or one with the minimum (6) I can get at least 2 of my survivors charged. And if I am in the mood for killin', that is more than sufficient. Outside of the assault stun charge and shooter double tap, the other charge abilities are far less important. I have killed all defenders without using any charge attacks. And I have also been wiped out using multiple charge attacks. It depends more on defensive strategy/survivor traits/weapon/armor and RNG than whether or not the raiders have charged attacks to use

However, the idea of tying earned TG to the raiders own outpost/walker level in raids as mentioned by @splagg seems the most fair and equitable solution to incentivise outpost walker upgrades. And this is coming form someone who has done very little to upgrade my outpost walkers but routinely raid maxed outposts for 500+ TG per. This is likely the only reason I would consider dropping TG on my own outpost walkers as it benefits me. The current system has zero incentive to upgrade.

MabikiCaptainslayerfalowyn
    jbuoy said:

The notion that outposts with minimum numbers of walkers severely hamper the raider as they are unable to charge their team is in my opinion a hot steaming pile. Whether I go into a maxed outpost or one with the minimum (6) I can get at least 2 of my survivors charged.

There appears to be some debate over the minimum/base number of walkers. If it were actually 6 this would be much less of an issue because you can absolutely get a raid team charged up with 6 walkers - charged enough, at least. But I very often run into outposts that have only 4 walkers. I've seen it argued that this is a glitch but I've encountered it often enough that I don't believe "glitch" is a legitimate explanation.
    ekimhclewCaptainslayer
  • MabikiMabiki Member Posts: 1,732
    @splagg
    Have you run into any 4-walker outposts since the last update? I haven't.

And glitch or bug is correct, as NG has stated minimum is six and has tried to fix this issue several times. It appears to me to finally have been fixed this last go around, but I'm correctable if players are still finding outposts with fewer.
    @Mabiki
    I haven't invested much time in outposts since the last update but no, I don't think I've seen a 4-banger in a while. Used to be 3 out of every 5 matches though... I'll be paying closer attention and get a screenshot if I see one again.
  • Human3001Human3001 Member Posts: 103
    splagg said:

I like it.
    What if the amount of trade goods a player received from a raid was related to the level of their own outpost rather than the level of the outpost they are raiding? That would give players incentive to level up their own outpost so that they would get more trade goods on raids.

That is a brilliant idea!
    Mavericks UC
  • zerosouLzerosouL Member Posts: 190
    Thats a great idea. They can also up the door timer / add burried zombie traps / connect alarm to the flag / set defenders to overwatch by default.
    ekimhclew