High level grind / endgame boredom!

Good morning NML forum world!

Quick introduction - my name is Muzz. I've been playing the game since pretty much the start. I'm somewhere on the global top 50, and I'm a member of DTP. I have been for a very long time. I'm not F2P, and I maybe spend on average about £20 a month (gas boosters mainly). The views below are my own and maybe not refelective of the guild as a whole, but hopefully this might provoke some thoughtful discussion anyhow.

Bottom line is I'm bored. I'm bored of the challenge system in its current form. I'm bored of pointless outpost raiding. I'm bored of the crazy token system. The fun seems to have been sucked out of the game lately! I used to absolutely love this game, and I can't quite figure out what's gone wrong!

Currently this is how I play. Challenge starts on Wednesday - I buy a gas booster. I race up to about RSL 26 or so (at which point the gas booster runs out). Wednesday / Thursday is killing me. Its a total grind. I don't even pay attention, I just blast away with ranged survivors and get to the end as quick as possible. There is no fun in this, I'm only doing it as I don't want to let down my guild. I couldn't care less about the global leaderboard. It's completely meaningless and is more a reflection of who's been playing the longest. I don't think anyone in our guild (and we've got a lot of us on the leaderboard) cares less about it!!

At RSL 26/27 and above, the gas booster has run out and the "hospital grind" begins! Some maps are ok (depending on the challenge and whichever survivor class has a "boost" that week). Ranged survivors are out of the window at high levels, and it's Jesus and 2 other melee's one starring away every couple of hours. There's no point buying another gas booster, unless you're willing to spend hundreds or thousands of gold on healing. I'll usually top out at about 27.2 or so, scoring around 1050-1100 stars. Again, the weekend hospital grind is not exactly fun, more of a chore and an exercise in how much gold I'm willing to spend.

The only "enjoyable" part of the challenge is RSL 24-26. Here strategy actually plays a part, and if you make a mistake you can get punished for it and drop a star.

I know it's been said countless times before, but I'll add my voice to the crowd. The token system is absolutely dogshit. During this event I've gotten "extra" tokens for Rufus, Eugene and Morgan. I have never ever once played a mission with any of them, and I never will. They are utterly pointless. The only heroes anyone uses are Abe, Sasha and Jesus. All the others are completely worthless. I would retire all the others if I was able to. As for "normal" survivors, As soon as you get into pink star territory it also becomes a joke. My best survivors are 7 star pinkies, I'm lucky if I can upgrade one trait a month. I think if I include heroes I've got about 35 survivors. I use less than 10 of them.

What I want from a game is to be able to pick it up and have some fun! That all seems to be lost at the moment. The season 7 missions were a great touch - I genuinely used to look forward to them, although they were all ridiculously easy and provided no challenge to anyone with even a mediocre team at high levels. These were mostly good because you knew that every Monday you can earn 30 phones for very little effort!

If you take a look at the global top 50 now you'll see that a lot of the "true greats" of this game have dropped down to DTP V2, guys like Amazayn, Sekushi and SlickRick. This is because it has become a painful experience being a top level player. The guild element of the game is probably the main reason most of us "top level" guys carry on. I have no doubt the the guys in Conquer, Rickrollers etc feel the same about their guilds.

I don't know what the solution is. I'm not a video game designer. I just know that I want to pick up a game and be distracted from real life for a bit. I don't want to spend my days clock watching waiting for the bloody countdown timer to run down so I can play another couple of levels. Something needs to change though, to keep guys interested. I can tell you for certain if it wasn't for the guild I would've switched this off a long time ago!

A quick final point, whoever it was at NG that came up with the "Rick Token Bundle" needs to be dragged round the back of your offices and beaten hard with a stick! £35 for 50 Rick tokens and a bit of Gold is completely batshit!!
OneVoiceDavid_H79InvaderkmrantAval0nBill_ZRTCaptainslayerT_12BuckzzGovernatorShut_UpCRUSHzivaoliviaggbatsNCDawgFanJackBauerAmazaynSlowMoromeobababooeyTheLostOnesTripodGindy8900rpmLoewe1968SPC_TORRESiozzegReeconnJadenCapletonricktadaBloodyChainsawSteeboonxbamfxl2wannabeWallStreetZetteLarge_11BeebladgierTimboskiPutchucoR2runfastTroublemakerbunjohnnydivesKARAZIPKALIvshield50NicolasopiumGForceTWDSkutterPapacasjester_radicsDonCoquiJerryDixonNeil_JTrinity1706gespuertallinieChrangSinking_SavageTheCrabKillersZInspTurbinesConan1976PowerUKEL34xyz8N8SteliorustynailjamminwoodstocksbfJapes87Dod_wendy_KhalDrogobuchizombiebreathIvoTatdJdmMissOlivesrmcn1031MacV淡水地鼠pkerr116black_nines

Comments

• TeeceezyTeeceezy Staff Posts: 3,577
    Good feedback, thanks @Muzz. :)
    MuzzTroublemakerTrinity1706pkerr116
  • SlowMoSlowMo Member Posts: 203
    @Muzz If the game is as it is, meaningless, dull, boring, would you or your guildmates still buy gas smashing out 1000+ stars every challenge to stay on the top spot? If the answer is yes, then what is there for NG to change? There you go, working as intended. Happy campers or not, money is still pouring in.
    xbamfxR2runfastKhalDrogo
  • BloodyChainsawBloodyChainsaw Member Posts: 342
    Let's all go on strike! 0 stars from everyone til they listen to posts such as this!
    InvadercarefreeTrinity1706srmcn1031
  • SmittySpivey3SmittySpivey3 Member Posts: 324
    There needs to be some sort of carrot for high end top level players. It could be 'unlocked ' by player level. Special offers even, deals on pricing, exclusive bundles, things that would also incentivise others to reach the top. We are all still waIting for guild vs guild for unique rewards too.
    MizTy
  • xbamfxxbamfx Member Posts: 1,435
    @Muzz man I love every last bit of this post, I wish I could give it 10000 likes! I share the same sentiment and Im probably no where near close to the level you and your guild mates are. It's a grind and the fun factor is fading, some elements are great and the guild I'm in is terrific people/players. I 100% agree the Rick token bundle is pure bullshit I could see 500 Rick tokens for 9.99 what is that like 2 upgrades at legendary? I mean it's pathetic to charge $35 on Mother's Day weekend at that for 50 freakin Rick tokens!! Wow
    DonCoqui
  • xbamfxxbamfx Member Posts: 1,435
    What about a weekly rescue mission that can be several levels long and along the way you collect a nominal amount of said hero tokens. Then once you reach the end you rescue that hero and obtain a nice bonus of 50 tokens or so....... I don't know just spit balling here. Let it get progressively more difficult or even allow harder replays for those high level players that are willing to grind even harder to obtain hero tokens of those they like. Even switch it up and offer regular tokens too for that said class. It just needs to be creative and different, something similar to the season 7 missions. Thoughts?
    zivaoliviaMuzzNeil_J
  • l2wannabel2wannabe Member Posts: 546
    @SlowMo...I think @Muzz is saying he does it for his guild as there are people you don't want to disappoint!
  • SlowMoSlowMo Member Posts: 203
    @l2wannabe Understand. Many of us in the same situation. What I'm saying is Ng doesn't see the need to change for end gamers like us. We will still play (or spend) because of our guild or ranking.

Even if 100 of us end gamers quit, there will probably be 1000 others spending on gas and bundles trying to get to where we once were. It's a cycle.
    l2wannabe
  • darthvictordarthvictor Member Posts: 173
    Great points everyone...I've been playing awhile now also, I'm level 50 with heroes at level 19 and while I love this game I'm getting destroyed on some of these map challenges and it's frustrating...I spend a lot of money on weapon packs, phone calls and to only earn 223 stars and I can't pass it really sucks...and it's such a grind to level up to 20 then people are saying don't level up to 21...sorry just tired and venting...
    MuzzSlowMoGaufrier
  • SebiSebi Posts: 146
    I used to wait and be curious for new updates...
    Now I'm just wondering what bad things are being prepared...as last 5 updates just would have been better down the toilet...
  • Kris78Kris78 Member Posts: 3
    I could not agree more. The grinding is ridiculous at the higher levels. Makes me not really want to play anymore.

Also agree that the token system is crap, especially individual hero tokens. There should at least be generic "class" and "hero" tokens that can be used on any class or any hero you want.

I was so bored at the maxed out level that I started a new game on a different device. Built my camp/survivors completely differently this time, different strategies. I'm level 38 on that game, and honestly, I have noticed that I get better stuff than on the level 38 game than on my maxed out game. My radio calls get better survivors and more hero tokens, my reward crates have better stuff in them, the trade shop has better stuff in it. I have no idea why, but its very frustrating.
  • ThanosOfTitanThanosOfTitan Member Posts: 296
    Muzz great points I use Dwight as well as Abe I never use Sasha or Jesus the former becaus I don't have the tokens to make Sasha useful, I am a few rings lower than you to be fair
    Member of the Super Green and amazon Family Leader of Amazon’s 
  • MuzzMuzz Member Posts: 74
    It's starting to sound like a lot of people feel the same way @ThanosOfTitan - it was great to see @rfg1982 from Conquer chip into this thread as well. @Teeceezy said hi after my first post on this - it would be great to hear from him on here again, just so we knew someone from NG was listening and acknowledged the concerns and problems I/we have all raised. A lot of great points have been mentioned on this thread. I want to look forward to starting this app every morning again, rather than just doing it to collect my free "gift" every 7 hours and see which hero has 4 measly tokens on offer in the TG shop!
    Troublemakerpaintbeastjester_radicsDonCoqui
  • WeekOneWeekOne Member Posts: 1,195
    edited May 2017
    Great thread @Muzz .... I agree with @NCDawgFan that it feels like the low level grind had been replaced by high level grind. This was raised with NG during the play testing and after implementation. I hope they find the perfect balance for all of us very soon.

I agree with you @Muzz that my favourite part of the challenge is RSL 24-26.... I wonder if NG could start us at a higher level and give us a few more rounds of RSL 24-26; slowing down the RSL 27 round? Just thinking out loud here ;)

I'm worried about players like @Bill_ZRT who feel they don't have enough time to complete the challenge.

For me, personally, I want better rewards... I don't give a monkey's left nut about stars. Reaching and completing RSL 26 only to receive a lvl 20 rare in a gold ticket just kills it for me. I only like to push if I know I have a chance at getting something good. Every time I open that gold ticket and see a rare item, it just irritates the hell out of me.

[Edit: Forgot to add that I believe we will see some improvement when the changes to high level stats are implemented.]
    TroublemakerMuzzjester_radicsFragzietalliniejester