On/Off Switch for Auto Cover

@Teeceezy ,

I know this has been mentioned before but has there been any consideration of making this an option for the new update?

Just for clarity, I call it Auto Cover but basically I am referencing when the game makes you take cover behind a structure instead of killing an enemy from a position of your choice.
capibaraTHCrossJackBauergespuer8900rpmTripodbunADPaqDoTakbigbeanoMarcus6253ArtisansJadenjester_radicsTWDSkutterR2runfastCaptainslayerekimhclewSpeedspsychwolfromeosrmcn1031flyingcowkingsicariusfrtr67ZardoxEL34xyzTimboski

Comments

• MabikiMabiki Member Posts: 1,732
    There seems to be near-universal agreement on the forum in favor of an auto-cover toggle.

My only guess for why it hasn't happened is the devs might think it would further complicate the game interface.

It's not a concern I share personally (assuming that is really part of NG's reasoning), but some players already get confused with the game speed/replay button since there seem to be weekly reports in the bug section where people don't know they've accidentally clicked it.
    David_H79gespuervshield50
  • GrimGaelGrimGael Member Posts: 1,410
    Maybe light up suggested dots to move to on tapping them. Otherwise trash it.
    Jadenvshield50DBones
  • Marcus6253Marcus6253 Member Posts: 221
    Cover does not appear to provide any advantage against melee attacks which is the only attack used by walkers, therefore, it only makes sense to use cover when there are freemen with ranged weapons in the mission,otherwise turn it off. This would at least provide an auto toggle that would solve the majority of frustration caused by this poorly thought out feature.
    DoTakPic
  • GrimGaelGrimGael Member Posts: 1,410
    Lol, you folks. Remember how long it was and how much trouble they had doing anything with autocenter? Sure we can ask them to write code, but it's obviously not their strong suit.
    vshield50JadenCaptainslayerTripod
  • PigPig Member Posts: 1,870
    @Serp You can sometimes move farther and attack than you otherwise would be able to, due to auto-cover. Don't get me wrong, I think auto-cover hurts more than helps, but I don't want to lose the advantage that it sometimes provides.

If I come across an example in gameplay, I'll try to remember to screenshot. Meanwhile maybe one of our other fellow players can provide one?
    Bad Pig
    Bad to the bone!
    The Notorious P.I.G.
    "I'm stuck in forum prison, and time keeps draggin' on"
    "I’ve never said I’m a perfect pig, nor pretended to be someone that I’m not."
    vshield50Serpgespuerjimmorrison369
  • SerpSerp Member Posts: 620
    @pig I will agree that there are some instances in which your survivor seems to call uber and goes across the map to fire from cover but the instances in which it is detrimental greatly exceed the rare, and slight, advantage it might give you. IMO. I don't claim to be a programming wizard but I have to believe it would be far easier to delete this feature than to add a toggle.
    gespuerTripod
    I'm sure it would be easier. I still want the toggle!
    Bad Pig
    Bad to the bone!
    The Notorious P.I.G.
    gespuer
  • jimmorrison369jimmorrison369 Member Posts: 2,065
    edited July 2017
    @pig. You misunderstood my idea.
    The whole idea behind it is to prevent your example.

Only move to cover when you need to move more then 3 steps to even hit the target.
    gespuer
    @jimmorrison369 I don't think that will work, if I understand your suggestion correctly. I might want to stand still and shoot a walker from where I am, say with a gold range pistol. There could be cover more than 1 AP away that my survivor would run to instead of taking the shot. This might plunge me into a herd or ruin sure shot.
    Bad Pig
    Bad to the bone!
    The Notorious P.I.G.
    jimmorrison369David_H79Captainslayer
  • jimmorrison369jimmorrison369 Member Posts: 2,065
    edited July 2017
  • AvengersAvengers Member Posts: 674
    Ugh guys...Just KISS: "keep it simple stupid"
    Add the toggle so we can explore our options on whether we want to use it or not.
    Looking for a guild? The Den is the place to be! We bring the fun back!
    Challenge Strategy and Videos! Other fun chats and support also available!

Everyone is Welcome! We have guilds for the super competitive players as well as relaxed and lower level players.

Email us to make our home your home: [email protected] or join one of our guilds. They rank in the following: Grimes Den, Dixons Den, Shivas Den, and finally Maggies den which is our training guild.
    gespuerPigCaptainslayervshield50
  • meathead013meathead013 Member Posts: 189
    Okay we're from coding and we're here to help.

So you're saying you want Auto cover for every screen by default, is that right?

We'll get right on it.
  • ADPaqADPaq Member Posts: 392
    Now we've proven categorically that this feature doesn't work let's hope NG put a toggle in place.

PS NG, please don't waste time trying to improve auto cover it's simply not worth it. Thanks.
    gespuerR2runfastGrimGael
  • EL34xyzEL34xyz Member Posts: 1,872
    It works ok when you really want to use it
    The point being that I don't want it's input all the time, so I should be able to turn it off when I want to
    Piggespuer
    ADPaq said:

Now we've proven categorically that this feature doesn't work let's hope NG put a toggle in place.

PS NG, please don't waste time trying to improve auto cover it's simply not worth it. Thanks.

I agree with everything you've said except "now." We showed this a long, long time ago! :)
    Bad Pig
    Bad to the bone!
    The Notorious P.I.G.
    vshield50GrimGael