Would u pay a 1 time fee to always unlock the 2nd set of chests after maps instead of watching ads?

thisdoesfinethisdoesfine Member Posts: 360
edited September 2017 in Suggestions & Ideas
Instead of having to watch the videos, would you rather pay a 1-time fee for an "ad free" version? The tower would still be on the same cycle, and provide ads, just not after maps.

Would u pay a 1 time fee to always unlock the 2nd set of chests after maps instead of watching ads? 36 votes

Yes, take my money!
33% 12 votes
No
66% 24 votes

Comments

• thisdoesfinethisdoesfine Member Posts: 360
    Perhaps I wasn't clear in my approach to this poll.

I'm referring to a one-time, say $4.99 fee, that would ALWAYS allow for opening 6 chests. The 9 would still cost you the 25 gold, but, there would be no watching ads to open 1-6.
    What aspect of the ads do you like? Every game that I've played longer than a month, I've opted to pay for the ad free version to stop wasting my time watching ads that I likely will never click on purposely.
  • FeloniousSpunkFeloniousSpunk Member Posts: 76

What aspect of the ads do you like? Every game that I've played longer than a month, I've opted to pay for the ad free version to stop wasting my time watching ads that I likely will never click on purposely.

I like that I play the game on mute and just click the ad and it takes 30 seconds. I don't sit watching the ad.
    black_ninesJadenCaptainslayerekimhclew

I like that I play the game on mute and just click the ad and it takes 30 seconds. I don't sit watching the ad.
    I agree, I play on mute as well and also put the phone down. I'd rather be able to just keep playing though.
    black_nines
  • I_Am_PsychoI_Am_Psycho Member Posts: 1,431
    Nope.

People already have a choice whether to use the ads or not, and can pay 25 gold. Should someone wanting to pay gold instead of watching an ad run out of gold, if they wanted to ensure not running out of gold for this purpose, they can easily purchase more gold.

But in keeping with what you probably meant, I would say that it wouldn't work with a one time payment, as the ads provide revenue over a period of time, so paying to go adfree to still open them would only really work on a rolling subscription basis.

Incidentally, a few days ago, I was cursing and swearing when I accidentally selected 25 gold instead of advert (and no, that doesn't change my vote because it was very unintentional, AND I watched the ad afterwards).

It's completely possible to block the ad option altogether already. Unfortunately for me, every time a big update is released, it conflicts with my device and other app settings.
    Last Stand BE recruitment

Last Stand BE have 4 places available for genuine GW players.

I can be contacted by PM for recruitment questions.
    @I_Am_Psycho I do not know the revenue gained from ads in games. I do know the revenue in affiliate web pages is extremely minimal and the reason spammers spam millions of emails daily. If the revenue is as small, and I have to think it is since sooo many games show the same ads, a guaranteed $5 from each person opting would likely yield a higher income than the select few players who actually play the game long enough to make the creator more than the $5.

Buying more gold ($5 for 500) is an option and people surely do. I don't use the 25 gold option to open chests at all since there's rarely anything of value in them anymore.

As for blocking the ads, that's not something the general public is knowledgeable enough to do, nor does it have a place in this discussion really.
    I edited the title, I think people thought I was referring to paying each time the chests were presented. I added the "1-time fee"

Perhaps I'm just the lone sole who would pay to unlock those chests and not have to watch 30 seconds of ads after maps.
    @thisdoesfine - When I wrote that post, I had in mind your first sentence as well. My point was more about the fact people have a choice whether they have or use the ads, and covering ways they can without delving too deep into explaining it.

The revenue per ad is small, but it's a steady income trickling through over a lot of time, and I'm not convinced a small one time payment would compensate them sufficiently for them to adopt it.

But you never know. They might like the suggestion :wink:

I'm not opposed to it. I just said it as I saw it.

• jimmorrison369jimmorrison369 Member Posts: 1,994
    I like it, would save my data-bundle while roaming. Currently on a vacation and I can't play ads because my data-bundle would go to fast.
    thisdoesfineI_Am_PsychoAuroraW
    @I_Am_Psycho - I think my original title wasn't very clear and people likely thought I meant pay each time. I don't know that I would go much over $4.99. I think the most I've paid was $6.99 for ad-free. I do really like this game though.

I like it, would save my data-bundle while roaming. Currently on a vacation and I can't play ads because my data-bundle would go to fast.

Ouch - that would be a VERY good use case for this suggestion.

@thisdoesfine - I still think it would only ever happen as a subscription though.

• JayZJayZ Member Posts: 3,438
    It depends on the fee, but I am certainly open to something like this. I know you can pay gold, but 25 gold/mission adds up very quickly.

If I think about how much time I spend watching ads: 4 ads per hour (2 minutes) x 10-12 hours a day = 20+ minutes. That's a lot of time watching ads for games I don't care about. If I could pay $10 to save myself 20 minutes a day, and also play whenever I want to (instead of 4 missions per hour), I would almost certainly do that.
  • carlos1981carlos1981 Member Posts: 346
    No.

This is far to vague and needs WAY much more clarification, but here's what i fear, and why i vote no:

It'll be far short - This falls heavily in line with being to Vague - "£4.99" for HOW LONG? This is the part which would increase the Costs - If its too short a time, cost will stack up, How long would subscription be etc..

It'll further split F2P, and Paying players - I'd certainly not pay it - I pay now and then for a few cheap bundles - But i don't buy weapons, and purchases are very low. Odd bundle if I'm out of Gold etc.

I know it's meant as just an idea, but without clarifying what the player base (Sorry - Forum Base - Last in-game vote showed that we are only a minority of the actual players!), would deem acceptable, companies will take the more expensive route, and subscription would be both to costly and too short.

No.

This is far to vague and needs WAY much more clarification, but here's what i fear, and why i vote no:

It'll be far short - This falls heavily in line with being to Vague - "£4.99" for HOW LONG? This is the part which would increase the Costs - If its too short a time, cost will stack up, How long would subscription be etc..

It'll further split F2P, and Paying players - I'd certainly not pay it - I pay now and then for a few cheap bundles - But i don't buy weapons, and purchases are very low. Odd bundle if I'm out of Gold etc.

I know it's meant as just an idea, but without clarifying what the player base (Sorry - Forum Base - Last in-game vote showed that we are only a minority of the actual players!), would deem acceptable, companies will take the more expensive route, and subscription would be both to costly and too short.

I don't get why this is so offensive to you. I don't think @thisdoesfine is suggesting that we get rid of videos for FTP players. I think he just wants to give PTP players the option of skipping watching those videos, for some kind of a fee. It seems like a perfectly reasonable suggestion that doesn't hurt FTP players but could benefit PTP players (and consequently NG).
    MattOfEarthdocfinzenburgJaden
  • carlos1981carlos1981 Member Posts: 346
    JayZ said:

No.

I don't get why this is so offensive to you. I don't think @thisdoesfine is suggesting that we get rid of videos for FTP players. I think he just wants to give PTP players the option of skipping watching those videos, for some kind of a fee. It seems like a perfectly reasonable suggestion that doesn't hurt FTP players but could benefit PTP players (and consequently NG).
    @JayZ - Apologies a few times here:

Hands up, I've missed on of the posts here which elaborated on the original post - 3rd post down.

Still think a little bit more clarification would be needed, just so costs would not get out of hand - It would need clarification of duration, and cost, that's all. But fair enough - It's an idea, and a discussion, in which missing bits can be discussed\debated.

It's my personal lazy approach that seems to be not viewing the ads a time consuming issue, but when you point out that it's 20 mins a day, fair enough, never thought about it that way - For me, i run the ads, but do something else, so the time does not affect me as such

I didn't mean my post to sound as if i was offended, just voicing an alternate view, that's all..
    JayZ
  • DLichDLich Member Posts: 5,526
    Cost analysis here...

25 gold is roughly 25 cents. $4.99 is roughly 60 extra chests.

If I recall we get to watch 3-4 ads an hour? Is that number correct and the frequency still accurate?

a $5 one time fee for the ability to open 6 chests every single time we play isn't a bad price point BUT as a "That's what she said"

The $4.99 fee is a maybe... only if I can still get the last 3 crates for free by watching an ad. Otherwise, why pay $$$ when I can already get it for free?

What she said...

Personally the one time a week when I buy gas boosters and play I probably wouldn't bother paying the $5 and just keep the ad version we have now.

| OG | NOC | USA | UK | CA | CQR | UC | RAD | ZEN |
    Other Leaders | Kick_ass | Pic | abailey362 | GunnerGaz | JMo2127 |
    MAVERICK'S 1 Million Star Club | OG | USA | NOC
    Analyze This with ALF4reals | v1 | v2 | v3 |
    | My YouTube Videos | My 1st Interview | Best Analogy Award!! |

Freemium... the "mium" is latin for 'not really'
    @carlos1981 - Yes my original title and even current explanation are too vague. I'm talking about a 1-time fee that would disable the ads after missions and just allow you to open 6 chests, indefinitely. Not weekly, no subscription.

@JayZ - Correct, I'm not talking about removing ads for FTP players, just giving P2P players the option to stop wasting time with those particular ads.

@DLich 4 / hr at both the tower and after missions is the current rate. As mentioned above, I wasn't talking about a weekly fee, a end-all 1-time fee to make that portion of the game "ad-free" just as most other ad-free options are for other games.

In addition, I think I should have also added a 3rd option to the poll, "No - I'm FTP and don't spend any money" It's too late to change that now, but, I'm glad it has opened up some discussion on the subject.
    DLichkjmia421

@JayZ - Apologies a few times here:

Hands up, I've missed on of the posts here which elaborated on the original post - 3rd post down.

Still think a little bit more clarification would be needed, just so costs would not get out of hand - It would need clarification of duration, and cost, that's all. But fair enough - It's an idea, and a discussion, in which missing bits can be discussed\debated.

It's my personal lazy approach that seems to be not viewing the ads a time consuming issue, but when you point out that it's 20 mins a day, fair enough, never thought about it that way - For me, i run the ads, but do something else, so the time does not affect me as such

I didn't mean my post to sound as if i was offended, just voicing an alternate view, that's all..

No worries! I also did not mean to sound as critical as it came across when I reread my post so my apologies as well. Glad we're both on the same page now :)
    carlos1981
  • DoTakDoTak Member Posts: 1,964
    If this option were available, I would probably go for it, as long as we could still choose when to open the 2nd set of three, 4 times per hour

Unless you're saying that paying a fee enables you to open 6 boxes on each and every mission going forward, that would be a slam dunk money in the(ir) bank no brainer for me.
    jimmorrison369Carl_s_Hatkjmia421
    @DoTak - That's exactly what I'm saying. Open 6 boxes on each and every mission forever, for a 1-time fee. The last 3/9 would still be 25 gold. For some clarification on the confusion, what else did you interpret it as?
  • paintbeastpaintbeast Member Posts: 1,188
    I don't mind the ads since, like others have said, I just let them play and don't actually watch them. I would pay a one time fee to always open 6 chests though for the simple fact that the ads are so unreliable. I often don't get the option to watch an ad (and no, I'm not referring to times when I've already used my 4/hr).
    Can you imagine if they gave the option ... and then nerf it further down the line.

• DoTakDoTak Member Posts: 1,964
    @thisdoesfine

I thought it might be pay to avoid having to watch the 4 ads we get per hour, then for the remainder of the hour, it's the 25 gold per set of three boxes like how it is now.

A one time flat fee for 6 boxes per mission? Take my money now, and while you're at it, I'll buy the gas booster too! :)
    I_Am_Psychothisdoesfinepaintbeast
  • zbotzbot Legendary Moderator Posts: 6,651
    Moved to suggestions.
    thisdoesfine