Understanding what an Exploit is

13»

Comments

  • PigPig Member Posts: 1,870
    TJS said:

    Only from official website. If it's wrong then maybe it should be changed .

    *edit* I guess how you interpret "they"

    I've read that too. I guess it's a good thing that the official information is never wrong, and everything always works as intended.

    I know what I've read, and I know what I've seen. They say seeing is believing, but maybe I shouldn't believe it.
    Bad Pig
    Bad to the bone!
    The Notorious P.I.G.
    "I'm stuck in forum prison, and time keeps draggin' on"
    "I’ve never said I’m a perfect pig, nor pretended to be someone that I’m not."
    TJSjester
  • PigPig Member Posts: 1,870
    @TJS You didn't misread it. "They" means the survivor.
    Bad Pig
    Bad to the bone!
    The Notorious P.I.G.
    "I'm stuck in forum prison, and time keeps draggin' on"
    "I’ve never said I’m a perfect pig, nor pretended to be someone that I’m not."
  • Bill_ZRTBill_ZRT Member Posts: 1,388
    edited September 2017
    Putchuco said:



    It is a loophole nevertheless.

    Now, what does that change? Can some people sleep now easier because we are using a loophole and not an exploit?

    So is using a loophole wrong? Is spawn blocking a loophole? It can't be intended that you can block the intended number of spawns by moving your survivors to certain areas on the map, can it? Do you use that loophole every time you run certain maps? What makes that one okay and this 'loophole' not? Who gets to be Judge Judy and executioner (shout out to Hot Fuzz) on these decisions?
    Everyone’s got two wolves inside them. One is anger, envy, pride. The other…truth, kindness. Every day they tear each other apart.
    But it’s not the better wolf that wins. It’s the one you feed.

    Contact [email protected] or send @Bill_ZRT a message to join DTP today!

    I_Am_PsychotdiddySlowMo
  • DLichDLich Member Posts: 5,526
    Bill_ZRT said:

    Putchuco said:



    It is a loophole nevertheless.

    Now, what does that change? Can some people sleep now easier because we are using a loophole and not an exploit?

    Who gets to be Judge Judy and executioner (shout out to Sean of the Dead) on these decisions?




    image
    | OG | NOC | USA | UK | CA | CQR | UC | RAD | ZEN |
    Other Leaders | Kick_ass | Pic | abailey362 | GunnerGaz | JMo2127 |
    MAVERICK'S 1 Million Star Club | OG | USA | NOC
    Analyze This with ALF4reals | v1 | v2 | v3 |
    | My YouTube Videos | My 1st Interview | Best Analogy Award!! |

    Freemium... the "mium" is latin for 'not really'
    JerryDixonMadi
  • WeekOneWeekOne Member Posts: 1,195
    edited September 2017
    Clicking on FLEE and walkers/freemen vanish is a bug and using that tactic is, in my opinion, exploiting when you know about it in advance. Retiring the ‘out of action’ survivors to get more to continue doing this is exploiting, in my opinion.

    People have been using the word exploit and basically calling others cheaters for the situation where if you shot a walker on the finish line to gain stars. It was a bug within the game both times and both situations got rewards.

    Throwing stones at one group then claiming that you never abused or exploited anything is hypocritical.

    At the end of the day, shit happens and people have to live with it. Throwing stones at people or NG is not productive.

    I feel bad for saying I would only give them a 1 star rating yesterday. :(

    The good thing I can say about what happened on the weekend is that it didn’t last one week or 3-4 days, it was only 24hrs so less damage.

    I wonder how other companies handle situations like these when reported during live events specifically? Can they pause the event?
    tdiddy
  • DLichDLich Member Posts: 5,526
    If I recommend to a player in my guild not to accept the gifts that others in our guild have sent them until they are a higher level is that an exploit? Gifts are intended to be opened and used... But if I suggest to him to wait 2-3 months and accumulate a bunch so that when they hit max level they will get higher xp, supplies, level gear if they wait... Am I promoting exploitation of the game?

    Same goes with Trade Goods. When 2.7 came out I decided not to spend any TG's until I hit camp lvl 63 and was then guaranteed lvl 22 gear from Epic and Leg blind crates. Did I inadvertently exploit the game by saving TG's for a later date? TG's are intended to be spent not hoarded right?

    Is stockpiling radio's exploitation?

    Is running Tara missions for radio's exploitation?

    These are all things within the game, a game that I have no say in how it operates and i'm playing within the parameters of the game itself.

    image
    | OG | NOC | USA | UK | CA | CQR | UC | RAD | ZEN |
    Other Leaders | Kick_ass | Pic | abailey362 | GunnerGaz | JMo2127 |
    MAVERICK'S 1 Million Star Club | OG | USA | NOC
    Analyze This with ALF4reals | v1 | v2 | v3 |
    | My YouTube Videos | My 1st Interview | Best Analogy Award!! |

    Freemium... the "mium" is latin for 'not really'
    tabernactdiddySerp
  • WeekOneWeekOne Member Posts: 1,195
    @DLich the items you listed there are not the same as clicking on FLEE knowing that the freemen/walker will disappear; hence, winning the map.

    You are not comparing apples to apples.

    At the end of the day, people can have their opinions and are free to express them but ultimately the decision is in NG’s hands.
    DLich
  • DLichDLich Member Posts: 5,526
    So the map, I forget which one, where I had to make it to the end and open the gate...

    The walker reset timer shouldn't return back to when it was started? Like each time I retry a map where my previous team died the timer should remain the same and the walkers that are on the map should be there?

    I have no clue what is and what isn't.

    If I'm playing a map in challenges and I don't complete it and I retry everything resets to the beginning. In this game mode prior progress carries forward. There was only 1 map that I had to retry and on that map was when I experienced the "disappearing walkers" and the timer reset. That's not intended?

    image
    | OG | NOC | USA | UK | CA | CQR | UC | RAD | ZEN |
    Other Leaders | Kick_ass | Pic | abailey362 | GunnerGaz | JMo2127 |
    MAVERICK'S 1 Million Star Club | OG | USA | NOC
    Analyze This with ALF4reals | v1 | v2 | v3 |
    | My YouTube Videos | My 1st Interview | Best Analogy Award!! |

    Freemium... the "mium" is latin for 'not really'
  • WeekOneWeekOne Member Posts: 1,195
    edited September 2017
    I’m pretty confident that clicking on FLEE and the walker mysteriously disappears is not intended and clearly a bug.

    If the objective is to kill the damm walker, we should have to kill it, not click on flee and it mysteriously disappears.

    Anyhow.... I hope we have a wonderful challenge on Saturday bug free ;)

    Off to the beach I go, the weather is beautiful today!
  • JerryDixonJerryDixon Member Posts: 386
    edited September 2017
    Check out the pre-release video from @Fearofabotplanet and @Shteevie. @Shteevie clearly states that the walkers will disappear so that we wouldn't run in to a buzz saw when we were already on the gate. How else would our progress of getting to the get again be saved? That is working as designed. It just so happens that it also is working as designed on the last map and happens to be to our advantage since in this case the exit is activated already. (not that I finished The Distance myself but if I did make it that far I would consider that winning and not an exploit or cheating)

    edit: after I posted this @Fearofabotplanet posted an announcement calling the disappearing Freemen a "bug" which has subsequently been fixed.
    Jerry Dixon
    JSS
  • WeekOneWeekOne Member Posts: 1,195
    Bill_ZRT said:

    WeekOne said:

    Clicking on FLEE and walkers/freemen vanish is a bug and using that tactic is, in my opinion, exploiting when you know about it in advance. Retiring the ‘out of action’ survivors to get more to continue doing this is exploiting, in my opinion.

    And now the argument changes again... Up until now this thread was explicitly about the definition of an exploit, as defined by NG and secondarily about wrestling and whether it's an exploit, loophole, creative game mechanic, clever tactic, etc. Now we're switching the topic to a very clear bug with the freemen on the last map of the distance that could cause one or more enemies to vanish that has nothing to do with wrestling. I haven't heard a single person argue that this isn't a bug. In fact this is a very clear bug.
    The topic is what is the definition of an exploit and, as a forum user, I believe I am entitled to express what I feel is exploiting a known bug which is in alignment with this thread.
  • Bill_ZRTBill_ZRT Member Posts: 1,388
    WeekOne said:

    Bill_ZRT said:

    WeekOne said:

    Clicking on FLEE and walkers/freemen vanish is a bug and using that tactic is, in my opinion, exploiting when you know about it in advance. Retiring the ‘out of action’ survivors to get more to continue doing this is exploiting, in my opinion.

    And now the argument changes again... Up until now this thread was explicitly about the definition of an exploit, as defined by NG and secondarily about wrestling and whether it's an exploit, loophole, creative game mechanic, clever tactic, etc. Now we're switching the topic to a very clear bug with the freemen on the last map of the distance that could cause one or more enemies to vanish that has nothing to do with wrestling. I haven't heard a single person argue that this isn't a bug. In fact this is a very clear bug.
    The topic is what is the definition of an exploit and, as a forum user, I believe I am entitled to express what I feel is exploiting a known bug which is in alignment with this thread.
    I believe that someone trying to changing the topic of my thread which is specifically on how NG defines an exploit and how the term exploit is often used on the forums is an exploit of the standard forum mechanics.

    You are more than welcome to create your own topic to discuss the fact that you feel that people knowingly taking advantage of the freeman bug is an exploit.
    Everyone’s got two wolves inside them. One is anger, envy, pride. The other…truth, kindness. Every day they tear each other apart.
    But it’s not the better wolf that wins. It’s the one you feed.

    Contact [email protected] or send @Bill_ZRT a message to join DTP today!

    tdiddyWeekOneFester17
  • maylifebemaylifebe Member Posts: 58
    Bill_ZRT said:

    WeekOne said:

    Bill_ZRT said:

    WeekOne said:

    Clicking on FLEE and walkers/freemen vanish is a bug and using that tactic is, in my opinion, exploiting when you know about it in advance. Retiring the ‘out of action’ survivors to get more to continue doing this is exploiting, in my opinion.

    And now the argument changes again... Up until now this thread was explicitly about the definition of an exploit, as defined by NG and secondarily about wrestling and whether it's an exploit, loophole, creative game mechanic, clever tactic, etc. Now we're switching the topic to a very clear bug with the freemen on the last map of the distance that could cause one or more enemies to vanish that has nothing to do with wrestling. I haven't heard a single person argue that this isn't a bug. In fact this is a very clear bug.
    The topic is what is the definition of an exploit and, as a forum user, I believe I am entitled to express what I feel is exploiting a known bug which is in alignment with this thread.
    I believe that someone trying to changing the topic of my thread which is specifically on how NG defines an exploit and how the term exploit is often used on the forums is an exploit of the standard forum mechanics.

    You are more than welcome to create your own topic to discuss the fact that you feel that people knowingly taking advantage of the freeman bug is an exploit.
    Why don't you just email support if indeed all you want is THEIR definition. Why open a thread to discuss it among the community if you're so closed to others' opinion?
    WeekOne
  • WeekOneWeekOne Member Posts: 1,195
    > @Bill_ZRT said:
    > Clicking on FLEE and walkers/freemen vanish is a bug and using that tactic is, in my opinion, exploiting when you know about it in advance. Retiring the ‘out of action’ survivors to get more to continue doing this is exploiting, in my opinion.
    >
    >
    > And now the argument changes again... Up until now this thread was explicitly about the definition of an exploit, as defined by NG and secondarily about wrestling and whether it's an exploit, loophole, creative game mechanic, clever tactic, etc. Now we're switching the topic to a very clear bug with the freemen on the last map of the distance that could cause one or more enemies to vanish that has nothing to do with wrestling. I haven't heard a single person argue that this isn't a bug. In fact this is a very clear bug.
    >
    > The topic is what is the definition of an exploit and, as a forum user, I believe I am entitled to express what I feel is exploiting a known bug which is in alignment with this thread.
    >
    > I believe that someone trying to changing the topic of my thread which is specifically on how NG defines an exploit and how the term exploit is often used on the forums is an exploit of the standard forum mechanics.
    >
    > You are more than welcome to create your own topic to discuss the fact that you feel that people knowingly taking advantage of the freeman bug is an exploit.

    I believe NG is quite capable of creating their own definitions. I am, in no way shape or form, trying to change the subject but adding my feedback.
Sign In or Register to comment.