Warriors - Why All The Fuss?

tabernactabernac Member Posts: 771
Wanted to throw this post out there in honor of Warrior week.

First off I really like Warriors, my title is totally cheeky, but they are by FAR my least used class. That's on me, I know there are people that use Warriors with devastating results. It's a fault of mine that I don't fully "get" the class.

When I do use Warriors at higher RSL's my tactic is pretty much to use their charge attack to hit a tight knit group of Zeds with the first attack since it's a guaranteed Critical and use the second move to run the F away because it isn't a guaranteed Critical and some of the Zed group is still solidly standing or because I'm still in a vulnerable position even if I can finish the group off with that second attack.

For me the other Melee classes have added "perks" due to their makeup or weapons.

For example:

- Scouts have the unique traits of farther movement, as well as Swift Strike and Threat Reduction. Also throw in the added tactics when using the Spear and Fork.
- Bruisers (assuming that you are at an RSL that is beyond their ability to outright Stun) have really high health and still have the ability to Stun on their charged attack. They also have the class unique Punish trait. Also throw in the multiple target potential of the Staff.

I think NG was on to something in terms of making the Warrior class more unique when they introduced Piercing on Warrior weapons. That would definitely set them apart, but as we know that trait never worked and still doesn't as far as I know, and is bolstered by the fact that the trait isn't offered at all at the current time.

I'm going to throw a suggestion out there. I know it would entice me to use Warriors quite a bit more, and that would be to make BOTH Warrior charged attacks guaranteed Criticals...

What are everyone's thoughts on Warriors? Would my suggestion make them way too OP?

[Edited to include the Punish trait for Bruisers]
WellyLugaDLichMattOfEarthInvaderJadenantsligoembigbeanokjmia421Papacastallinie

Comments

• WellyLugaWellyLuga Member Posts: 1,823
    I'm in the same boat as you. I just don't see the role they have, I can't say I've ever been on a challenge map, struggling, and thought I wish I had a warrior for this. I haven't managed to find a good warrior to put tokens into yet to make pink yet. They're really good with crowd control but then when body shots start kicking in they don't have the health to take much of a beating before bruising :neutral:
    MattOfEarthtabernacInvaderSlowMo
  • JayZJayZ Member Posts: 3,236
    tabernac said:

When I do use Warriors at higher RSL's my tactic is pretty much to use their charge attack to hit a tight knit group of Zeds with the first attack since it's a guaranteed Critical

I agree with most of the things in your post, except this statement, which is incorrect. The Warrior's first attack is a guaranteed non-body shot, but NOT a guaranteed critical... which makes Warriors even less effective.

I think I will enjoy using Warriors on this challenge because I can use Warriors and Scouts to suppress spawns, but I certainly agree that Warriors are generally my least used class.
    Elder in Legacy Eh, a top 10 global Challenge and Guild Wars guild
    PM me or visit this link to join the Eh family!
    Visit this link for my Distance and Challenge strategy videos
    DBonestabernacJaden
  • I_Am_PsychoI_Am_Psycho Member Posts: 1,431
    My main warrior gets me through higher RSL than I would manage without. And I got another decent one coming through as well.

In fact, I want a warrior token event :p
    Last Stand BE recruitment

Last Stand BE have 4 places available for genuine GW players.

I can be contacted by PM for recruitment questions.
    tabernacatrainofficial
  • tabernactabernac Member Posts: 771
    JayZ said:

I agree with most of the things in your post, except this statement, which is incorrect. The Warrior's first attack is a guaranteed non-body shot, but NOT a guaranteed critical... which makes Warriors even less effective

@JayZ - Good grief, I like them even less now. =)

I guess since my Warriors stay on the shelf when the going gets pretty rough I've never used them against really high level Zeds. I've only taken them to the point where I've seen Crits on the first charged attack and then a Body Shot on the second attack.

My main warrior gets me through higher RSL than I would manage without. And I got another decent one coming through as well.

In fact, I want a warrior token event :p

What RSL do you get to, and what do you do with your Warriors that you can't do with other classes?
  • MonsutaMonsuta Member Posts: 1,168
    Warrior pair with scout is good for 1 star grind while ranged can attract too many walkers doing so.
    There is NO higher rarity when we use all legendary to craft the badge, we are being punished for having a chance to get LOWER rarity.
    This is NOT WORKING AS INTENDED & it's UNFAIR.
    tabernacMabiki
  • FirekidFirekid Member Posts: 1,854
    @Invader unfortunately it's because walkers move 1 at a time and if there is a walker next to you and you overwatch one that moves within striking distance it will hit both! Warriors are my fav class and I've boosted mine with health and Damage reduction now she just plows into them and will take the hits and then destroy with power strike. The worst thing is that the weapon HAS to have gold arc! Other than that won't do without one
    tabernac
  • I_Am_PsychoI_Am_Psycho Member Posts: 1,431
    Yes, definitely has to have gold arc ;)

Last Stand BE recruitment

Last Stand BE have 4 places available for genuine GW players.

I can be contacted by PM for recruitment questions.
    FirekidtabernacFOE
  • InvaderInvader Member Posts: 2,066
    Firekid said:

@Invader unfortunately it's because walkers move 1 at a time and if there is a walker next to you and you overwatch one that moves within striking distance it will hit both!

I´m sure I had situations where two walkers in a vertical line moved together, not one after the other.
    Mabiki
  • TechfallTechfall Member Posts: 168
    edited September 2017
    MadPuppy said:

My favourite team: Michonne gold arc, scout thread reduction, shooter range/charging, especially on scavenge.

I love the multi enemy ability of the warrior, plus their added effectiveness on tough walkers, plus their charged ability to do this twice in one turn. Couple that with the new Ruthless trait and BAM!

Yeah, I enjoy warriors.

but don't you find them limited? With their arc enemies have to be positioned properly and you need to have an opening to hit them all. If they just a had a frontal arc similar to assault (but shorter) i think they would be more valuable
  • MadPuppyMadPuppy Moderator Posts: 2,829
    edited September 2017
    @Techfall
    You're probably right, but I don't put enough thinking into my playing to really mind.
    (I'm not a top scorer, most challenges I'm happy if I get into the 700 range.)

What I usually do is position my two melees at a reachable distance from the front walkers, the shooter behind, and use overwatch, falling back, until charged or otherwise opportune to go into offense. (I still rely on interrupt, old skool).

Also, the warrior usually is quite easily positioned just right to get the most out of their swing. When still on 2 action points it is often the case the swing will miss one or two walkers. But if I then use one action point to make them approach the walkers from a slightly different angle, the swing will be perfect. Added bonus: this often prevents walkers from interrupting my warrior as well (no red line, as opposed to the red line when I use a direct assault instead of repositioning).

Anyhow, my ramblings probably don't hold for higher level play. I'm not giving strategy advice here, just loving some on my warriors.

:p
    tabernac
  • Grace24Grace24 Member Posts: 13
    Why would warriors not have the same critical effect on the first hit as every other class? I guess I assumed they did because like @tabernac , I rarely use them...

Hope they reconsider changing that in the future.
    JayZ said:

I agree with most of the things in your post, except this statement, which is incorrect. The Warrior's first attack is a guaranteed non-body shot, but NOT a guaranteed critical... which makes Warriors even less effective.

@JayZ - I don't deny your statement but I think it's outrageous that the Warriors mechanics are constructed like this. I wanted to push the boundries of how outrageous the mechanics are, and so I ran a little test:

Hypothesis: At some point the Warrior's first Charged Attack switches from being a Critical hit to a Normal hit. I want to see if I can determine if that switch happens around ASL +5.

Subject: Jesus
    Level: Legendary - ASL 21
    Badges: None whatsoever (Shouldn't matter but wanted to mention)
    Other Notes: Warrior Week (Also shouldn't matter, but wanted to mention)

First Charged Encounter: 1 Level 26 Zed (+5 ASL) - Critical Strike
    Second Charged Encounter: 3 Level 28 Zeds (+7 ASL) Critical Strikes on all 3
    Third Charged Encounter: 3 Level 32 Zeds (+11 ASL) Critical Strike on 1 Zed and Normal Attacks on 2 Zeds. This was confirmed by lack of the "Critical" text ballons for the 2 Zeds and bolstered by a large gap in the damage done to the Zed that got hit Critically and the two that didn't.

Conclusion: Perhaps the Charged Attacks switch to Normal attacks in the range of ASL +11? Or could it be the case that the switch just happens really randomly and inconsistently even at lower levels? My sampling is of course very small.

Jesus is excited to do further testing as soon as his breathing and feeding tubes and catheter are removed!

bigbeanoGrace24DBones
  • Grace24Grace24 Member Posts: 13
    We should have a good amount of testing this week with the challenge. I will certainly be watching for it.
  • NCDawgFanNCDawgFan Member Posts: 2,070
    Never has a challenge been less suited for the weekly class 50% damage boost that this new challenge and the warrior boost. I've used Abraham and my two best hunters on every mission today, and can't see one of the six missions where I can potentially use a warrior to help me. Too many hidden walker locations, and the spawns are just too large.
    MabikiMonsutabsgper4
  • KudukKuduk Member Posts: 99
    I always bring 1 warrior whenever i stumbled upon a stubborn outpost defender..and the result was awesome. Cheers :wink:
  • hunter_xhunter_x Member Posts: 246
    Warriors week but they didn't gave us challenges that suited for them (Warriors) :lol: a bit of irony

MonsutaKaLi
  • MonsutaMonsuta Member Posts: 1,168
    edited September 2017
    I don't see that this week challenge were not suited for warrior.
    Did those who complained actually tried using warrior in this challenge?
    There is NO higher rarity when we use all legendary to craft the badge, we are being punished for having a chance to get LOWER rarity.
    This is NOT WORKING AS INTENDED & it's UNFAIR.
  • dandancar77dandancar77 Member Posts: 322
    loving this combo for the current challenge. Scouts with spear/pitchfork are running rampant on walkers!

• KaLiKaLi Member Posts: 426
    edited September 2017
    @tabernac hope NG doesn't nerf warriors! ^_^

They are strong and useful if played correctly and strategically

The images below is a non-badge / and non-ruthless trait warrior.

Imagine if I had those fully equipped, I'm sure the most elite warriors can go up to 30-40k+ Dmg this week

I also agree once you also equip some dmg Reduction badges and gear to your warrior (up to 80%) then you got yourself something great to run into battle with
    Pic
    KaLi said:

@tabernac hope NG doesn't nerf warriors! ^_^

@KaLi - Agreed, I hope they don't nerf them either. Since you're a dedicated Warrior user, do you know what the threshold is for their first charged attack going from Critical to Normal hits?

Sidenote: I can't believe @jimmorrison369 hasn't weighed in on this question yet. Most of the time he's already provided the answer before the question has left my mouth! =)

@tabernac Thanks for running the tests. I'll try to pay closer attention and play around with my Warriors this challenge.

What I posted earlier (that the charged attack is not a guaranteed critical) was my understanding as of a few updates ago when there were issues with charge attack damage. At that point, Warriors and Assaults were the only classes that didn't have a guaranteed crit from their charge attacks. I didn't think anything had changed, but perhaps something changed when they fixed charge attack damage a while ago.
    KaLitabernac
  • TheLostOnesTheLostOnes Member Posts: 3,030
    I haven't used my warriors yet in this challenge, but will try them out.

Normally, warrior week is coupled with a challenge that includes lots of flaming walkers. At least this one only has fatties.
    I'm lost.

Check out the DMZ guild. We're recruiting. Here.
    JackBauerJadentabernacPic
  • PigPig Member Posts: 1,870
    I'm only up to RSL 23, but I love warriors for this challenge. I've run Jesus-scout-warrior every single mission every round, except for a few missions in my first round which I did with ranged survivors. At higher levels I can foresee a couple of these missions I might switch to ranged (kill all walkers kind of missions). But spawn control at high levels will mean I'll probably stick to melee for a lot of these.
    Bad Pig
    Bad to the bone!
    The Notorious P.I.G.
    "I'm stuck in forum prison, and time keeps draggin' on"
    "I’ve never said I’m a perfect pig, nor pretended to be someone that I’m not."
    capibaratabernacbigbeano
  • TechfallTechfall Member Posts: 168

loving this combo for the current challenge. Scouts with spear/pitchfork are running rampant on walkers!

how do you deal with exploders?
  • crambert_neccrambert_nec Member Posts: 1,357
    @Techfall The exploding goo walkers only explode if killed with ranged survivors
    Leader of WATCH TOWER RoD
    Monsutatabernachunter_x