Is investing in farms not worth it at a certain point?

Title kind of says it all but I'd like to get your opinions. Maybe I am looking at this wrong but I'll try to explain my dilemma.
I have 5 farms all level 8 producing 1400/hr. To upgrade to level 9 and get a measly extra 200/hr more, I have to invest 860,000. This means I will get up to 1600/hr or 38,400/day. That mean just to breakeven on my investment, it'll take nearly 23 days!!

However, any other upgrade to stuff that matters like training ground, radio tower, or workshop cost 1.5-1.7Mil...so I don't feel like I have a choice. This game seems to have gotten to a point where it's so expensive to upgrade, and playing for free will cause you to upgrade 1-2 times/month unless you spend money on gold.

Am I missing something here/looking at it wrong? Is still investing in farms worth it or should I put that 860,000 that I would've put into farms (4.3Mil for all 5 farm upgrades) somewhere else? What do you guys do?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• @WallStreet

I have all 5 of my farms at lvl 9, i do see your point at it seems like you get very little for so much, next im going to lvl 10 on my farms but that is 1.5m each, just for 150 more an hour each which is pretty lame, i agree we should get more production, but Ng is here to make money, if not they wouldnt be in business and we wouldnt have this game, i think the same about the radio tower and stuff as well, but if you dont upgrade your farms after upgrading your tower or training grounds, it will only take that much longer to upgrade something else, so dont nibble, you have to bite swallow repeat
    [Deleted User]GovernatormsRoanered13
  • CindyLouCindyLou Member Posts: 112
    i8azmbe said:

@WallStreet

so dont nibble, you have to bite swallow repeat

lol nice

ggbats
  • zosonzoson Member Posts: 2,216
    farms are not worth it beyond farm level 7. stop upgrading them, finish everything else, then upgrade the farms once your TG, Workshop, radio tent, and hospital are maxed out.
    SenoiaSurvivor[Deleted User]DreadGovernator
  • Shut_UpShut_Up Member Posts: 2,295
    Wall Street your math is a little off. It takes longer than 23 days to break even. Do what zoson said.
  • TigerfrllyTigerfrlly Member Posts: 12
    In my experience you'll get to a stage where you have nothing else to spend cans on so you may as well update the farms. Before the last update I'd had weeks and weeks of cans just going to waste cos had nothing to spend them on but I'd maxed out what I could save.
  • WallStreetWallStreet Member Posts: 29
    Thank you all for the quick replies/advice. I'll plan accordingly.
  • DaleDale Member Posts: 1,122
    You currently have 5 farms producing 1,400 per hour for a total of 7,000 per hour. That means it would take 122+ hours to earn the 860,000 needed to upgrade one farm. That's over 5 days.

Spending 860,000 for an additional 200 per hour means it will take 4,300 hours to earn back the money cans spent. 4,300 hours = 179+ days.

That doesn't seem worth it.

zosonGovernator
  • JazzJazz Member Posts: 125
    Upgrade the training grounds/workshop or whatever else, don't worry about the farms.

All that time to upgrade all 5 farms? You do realize that after upgrading all 5, you're only getting a measly 1k more an hour? You can play episode 13 exploration missions that will automatically give you 6900 cans JUST for playing. And with the ticket boxes, you'll more than likely get over 1k cans. And that's just from ONE exploration mission.
  • zoson said:

farms are not worth it beyond farm level 7. stop upgrading them, finish everything else, then upgrade the farms once your TG, Workshop, radio tent, and hospital are maxed out.

another +1 for zoson
    Dread
  • DreadDread Member Posts: 450
    yet another +1 for zoson's suggestions. lvl 7 is the sweetspot
    As I witness the death of innocence... A predator feeding on its creation.
    Through the fallout of this hallucination, I walked into darkness.
    I must not surrender my god to anyone, or this body will become carrion.
    One step closer to my fate. One step closer to my grave.
  • GovernatorGovernator Member Posts: 3,736
    I feel the same way about the Tents that produce experience points. They seem pretty worthless past Level 7. I think 10 hours of production is enough storage capacity to sleep in on a Saturday morning. B)
    Dale said:

You currently have 5 farms producing 1,400 per hour for a total of 7,000 per hour. That means it would take 122+ hours to earn the 860,000 needed to upgrade one farm. That's over 5 days.

Spending 860,000 for an additional 200 per hour means it will take 4,300 hours to earn back the money cans spent. 4,300 hours = 179+ days.

That doesn't seem worth it.

Don't forget the lost 21 hours of production during the upgrade from Level 8 to 9! That's another 29,400 (1,400 x 21) that you lose in the deal.

The only advantage of upgrading is if you see yourself being away from the game for more than a half day. The bigger the farm plot level, the more it can hold before you "harvest" the cans. If you set your alarm to harvest, then you don't need to spend the cans on upgrading. I expect to take vacation from the game from time to time, so I'll be upgrading the Farm Plots when I got nothing else to spend on.
    I'm going out of town this weekend. I'm not looking forward to explaining that I have to stop and harvest my tomato cans. I don't think they will understand.
    Governatorggbats
  • mackmack Member Posts: 29
    I thought upgrading farms were useless until I needed to get my camp level up to upgrade my counsel at the time. So now I upgrade everything else available first then concentrate on farms and tents.
    Dale said:

I'm going out of town this weekend. I'm not looking forward to explaining that I have to stop and harvest my tomato cans. I don't think they will understand.

When traveling, I say I need to go to the bathroom and I harvest my cans while in the can. ;)

ggbatseetu
  • PimpOfTheDeadPimpOfTheDead Member Posts: 654
    Farms are worth it as it all adds up after awhile especially if your offline but especially if your camp is maxed might as well upgrade something, farms do completely max out at 10 though as rest of builds will say council 16 required or something like that when done but after 10 the farms say this building is maxed, kinda sucks having all builds done & probably no update till spring :(
    Shut_UpDread

Dale said:

When traveling, I say I need to go to the bathroom and I harvest my cans while in the can. ;)

Not a bad plan ;) Can I get the game to run on both my ipad and my phone? or will that just confuse things? My phone is android. This sounds like a syching mess. Taking the ipad with me is just so subtle. not.

• DreadDread Member Posts: 450
    Dale said:

Dale said:

Not a bad plan ;) Can I get the game to run on both my ipad and my phone? or will that just confuse things? My phone is android. This sounds like a syching mess. Taking the ipad with me is just so subtle. not.

you can't sync the game between android and ios at the moment.

moral of the story? get an android tablet. :P
    As I witness the death of innocence... A predator feeding on its creation.
    Through the fallout of this hallucination, I walked into darkness.
    I must not surrender my god to anyone, or this body will become carrion.
    One step closer to my fate. One step closer to my grave.
  • Jonny893Jonny893 Member Posts: 11
    Dread said:

Dale said:

Dale said:

you can't sync the game between android and ios at the moment.

moral of the story? get an android tablet. :P
    You can sync between IOS and Android now.

You can transition between Android and iOS easily now. If you want to move your saved game from your Samsung Galaxy S6 to your iPad. Download the game on your iPand and run through the tutorial. Then go to settings. (This is very important in the way it is done else you can lose your saved game.)
    Select Link a Device.
    On Samsung click Old Device
    On Ipad click New Device
    Enter the numbers that are shown on the Samsung Device into the Ipad.
    Now the game should disconnect you from Samsung and load on the Ipad.
    From then on both devices will be linked to the same profile and you can switch back and forth.

To save to a cloud server link your game to Google Play and/or Apple Game Center. The game doesn't backup with Facebook linked.

http://nomansland.wikia.com/wiki/Linking_Multiple_Devices_across_Multiple_Platforms
    http://forums.nextgames.com/walkingdead/discussion/2578/link-a-device#latest
  • LawdogLawdog Member Posts: 836
    At some point ya have no choice,around 40-ya have too..it's a net loss whether ya do it now or later,it ain't gonna make a hill O beans difference whether ya do it now or later,if you intend to play/grind/drink/shit/walk/talk.

Get my point.
    WallStreet
This discussion has been closed.