The State of Melee in the Game

Comments

• ErmonDaxErmonDax Member Posts: 25
    Lots of interesting ideas here, but wouldn't it be simpler to just make melee attacks ranged?

If you initiate a melee attack from, say, five cells away, have the attacker run in, attack the walker, and then return to where they started from. That effectively makes a melee attack the same as a ranged attack, but without having to change or add any traits or weapons.

Seems pretty simple to me, unless I'm missing something.
    zeowerusklman1612PicNezoChrangSplatter
  • Conan1976Conan1976 Member Posts: 758
    @Bill_ZRT

great post!!! Thank you
    Looking for a guild? The Den is the place to be!
    We bring the fun back! Game Tips and Videos! Common interest non-game related chats too!
    Everyone is Welcome!

Grimes Den & Dixons Den: competitive / different play styles
    Shivas Den: semi-competitive / relaxed Maggies Den: training and growth

Email us to make our home your home: [email protected]
    Bill_ZRTTimboskikjmia421
  • zeeblackzeeblack Member Posts: 1,053
    Great write @Bill_ZRT.

The main reason I use ranged survivors is well the "range" i.e. the distance between the survivors and walkers. The melee lack this advantage (apart from the spear for the scout).

If we look at the melee survivors, scout are built for high damage, bruisers are tanks i.e. taking the brunt of the damage and warriors are the in between.

While I am not into new traits for these classes, these melee survivors can be brought at par with the ranged ones.

Scout: Every survivor has two action points. The Scout should have three. Use one to move, one to strike and one to move back.

Bruiser: As suggested by Bill, bruiser should have three health levels. Armor plus green and red health level. The Bruiser should not be stunnable on the armor health level.

Warrior: Really I cant think of anything.

I am Black, Zee Black, Level SeVeNtY tWo with hUnDrEd ThOuSaNd sTaRs, Elder, SG Woot, tWo MiLlIoN star guild
    TimboskiSaintDankSplatterDanielBez
  • ADPaqADPaq Member Posts: 296
    Seriously, if NG put this sort of thought into refining the game it would be so much improved. I'd much rather see these sorts of tweaks than the Distance and badges.
    Chrangkjmia421Splatter
  • avelardezavelardez Member Posts: 1,043
    edited October 2017
    Great ideas man. They would make my warriors and bruisers unstoppable. Three strong Melees can handle walkers up to RSL 38 but only one at a time. 1-2 ok, but 3 or more and your done. More so now with wrestler gone.
    Pickjmia421
    avelardez said:

Great ideas man. They would make my warriors and bruisers unstoppable. Three strong Melees can handle walkers up to RSL 38 but only one at a time. 1-2 ok, but 3 or more and your done. More so now with wrestler gone.

Way to basically guarantee these ideas will never come into the game now and will likely result in a melee nerf :smiley:
    Edd8Pic
  • PicPic Member Posts: 794
    @ErmonDax that's an extremely interesting idea. It would be pretty simple to code and fix the entire issue or having a half a AP after the initial attack.
    kjmia421
  • SaintDankSaintDank Member Posts: 8
    What if they made warrior and scout charge attacks cause bleeding? Maybe bruisers but that might be too strong combined with a stun.
    paintbeastSplatter
  • sbfsbf Member Posts: 466
    Gonna bump this up, it's still as urgent as it was when the update dropped. Gonna also say that training suit is useless, especially for scouts, bruisers, and shooters, and if the rebalancing involves new gear traits, we need to get rid of some that are not useful (imo hazard suit, bullet proof, training suit, as well as the sniper harness, though that's strictly for ranged).
    kjmia421
    If anything the video shows the massive discrepancy in power between melee and shooter. Take JayZ's screen shot here of a shooter getting 32K damage, admittedly with the shooter bonus, and compare it to Jesus's crit shots maxing out at just under 8.5K and Dirty's maxing out at under 12K.

Don't get me wrong, @avelardez you're clearly a highly skilled player and know how to effectively use melee but there's just such a imbalance in favour of ranged vs. melee at present and it needs to be addressed.
    Splatter
    Prior to the badges they can handle up to 27s with no problems. The badges allowed you to push to 30.
    @Bill_ZRT

The Distance and many lucky radio calls have added up over the last year and a half to get him to pink level. Just recently have I been able to get him to pink status. Jesus’ leader trait is a must for that added bonus. Plus with these new badges they can deal this type of damage. My warrior is one of the best in the business. Just her overwatch alone can take out a 27 without any badges. I scrapped many warriors just to invest in her since last year.
  • MabikiMabiki Member Posts: 1,732
    ADPaq said:

If anything the video shows the massive discrepancy in power between melee and shooter. Take JayZ's screen shot here of a shooter getting 32K damage, admittedly with the shooter bonus, and compare it to Jesus's crit shots maxing out at just under 8.5K and Dirty's maxing out at under 12K.

Don't get me wrong, @avelardez you're clearly a highly skilled player and know how to effectively use melee but there's just such a imbalance in favour of ranged vs. melee at present and it needs to be addressed.

I think the imbalance is more defensive than offensive, and was increased with the wrestler nerf.

Offensively, a well-badged melee can destroy. They just can't protect themselves. It's hard to see the numbers, but that is my scout critting for 30k+ damage, with no event bonus.

ZelenioblakSplatter
  • tabernactabernac Member Posts: 741
    avelardez said:

My warrior is one of the best in the business. Just her overwatch alone can take out a 27 without any badges. I scrapped many warriors just to invest in her since last year.

@avelardez

Can you share some of the details of your Warrior? Overwatch attack with no badges can take out a 27? That's incredible! For comparison, my Warrior (who is far from one of the best in the business, but at the same time isn't a bender) can sometimes take out a level 27 Zed on a Normal attack and sometimes cannot. Doing so on Overwatch is of course out of the question for my Warrior. Bear in mind that he also has a Rare Damage +12% Badge equipped. He's also using an upgraded Legendary Base 21 weapon, but even if he was using an upgraded Legendary Base 22 weapon, there is still no way he could take out a 27 on Overwatch.

Appreciate any insight you can provide!

Zelenioblaktheldssdl
    edited November 2017
    You have a similar warrior. This is what my girl is packing. I would suggest you get a stronger weapon. Her overwatch is a 50/50 hit. Mix her with Jesus and she gets an added boost.
    tabernac
  • tabernactabernac Member Posts: 741
    @avelardez - Ah, OK so paired with Jesus she's she can knock out 27's on Overwatch without help from badges. Very nice.

I am definitely in need of better Warrior weapons. Work in progress! Appreciate your time.
    In the past before badges she can overwatch a 27 and kill.
    tabernac
  • RiotTongueRiotTongue Member Posts: 1
    How about just allowing melee characters to move after attacking? That way you can attack with first AP and then use second to move to safe distance. Simple. Would make a huge difference in the viability of these characters.
    Bill_ZRTDLichTimboskiSplatter
  • MabikiMabiki Member Posts: 1,732
    Guapo said:

What if we could get a melee weapon that had a cool trait, like the one for ranged, that reduced bodyshots. I think ranged calls it piercing. That would be awesome on say a sword.

I don't think it would work, but I'm not sure why.
  • MonsutaMonsuta Member Posts: 1,168
    Guapo said:

What if we could get a melee weapon that had a cool trait, like the one for ranged, that reduced bodyshots. I think ranged calls it piercing. That would be awesome on say a sword.

You mean this?
    http://forums.nextgames.com/walkingdead/discussion/27071/michonnes-piercing-katana-2-6-unreleased-update-notes

@Mabiki You sure it's not working?
    There is NO higher rarity when we use all legendary to craft the badge, we are being punished for having a chance to get LOWER rarity.
    This is NOT WORKING AS INTENDED & it's UNFAIR.
  • AlexFiliUKAlexFiliUK Member Posts: 160
    My thoughts on melee:
    -Bruisers and Warriors don't have enough health to justify getting up close to walkers. For scouts that would make sense.
    -Bruisers damage output is really low, it makes it harder to kill walkers in one hit, which means you're vulnerable to taking damage from crowds.
    -At high walker levels, you stop being able to stun them which makes them effectively useless at later stages of The Distance.
    -Many high level walkers are immune to stunning: Bloaters, Tanks, Spiky... again it makes the class useless against these kinds of enemies. Even a stun ability doesn't work against these.
    Bill_ZRTsbfTroublemakerkjmia421Splatter
  • Kick_assKick_ass Member Posts: 513
    edited November 2017
    What a great post. Melee are fun and addicting to play with, but many people don't want to use them. Wonder why??? They're little ass kickers.
    Maverick’s Core Leader and / OG Co-Leader
    Other Leaders | Pic |
    Tux77 |
    KeepGen |

Stolen from Dlich
    Zelenioblakkjmia421
  • ZelenioblakZelenioblak Member Posts: 38
    Melee Power !!! B)
    MonsutaKick_assavelardez