Optimal Bruiser

Hello everyone.

Sorry it's again a "should I invest in this guy or not" topic but I'm struggling and would appreciate your help.

I had Donna which I was "kind of happy with" because she has good tanking traits (dodge, iron skin, defense stance) and she had punish ! But not retaliate....

But I was thinking ... yeah she will still tank well.

And today I got Irene. Punish. Retaliate. But no dodge. No iron skin. So I'm struggling. Do I invest in Irene to try to get at least iron skin, or do I stick with Donna. At high level, is it better to take one more shot or to hit one more time ?

Advices welcome :)

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• JadenJaden Member Posts: 3,066
    As you know, none of them is ideal. If the new bruiser had iron skin instead of powerstrike, maybe... but I think the risk that she gets another trait like vigilant is too high. I would not invest tokens in finding out to be honest and stick with Donna for now.

She is not bad. Sure, she does not retaliate, but for now, she is the better option, especially since she is legendary and leveled up.

I would wait for a better option instead of investing in the new one.
    Leader of Morbid Sinners and Morbid Spirits

Morbid Survivors are looking for you! If you are looking for a new guild, PM me.
  • tabernactabernac Member Posts: 805
    edited October 2017
    @Tetator I agree with @Jaden in regards to Irene. I'd retire her.

Let me make a case for Donna if you want a Tank/Meat Wall style Bruiser (which I love) under the current game mechanics.

I'd actually prefer my Meat Wall Bruiser to have Dodge over Retaliate. For my play style the Meat Wall Bruiser comes out when I am at the ASL +4 range when the Bruisers are beyond the threshold where they can consistently Interrupt or stun with an non-charged attack. I'm using them to shield my more delicate Survivors. Retaliate at level 5 only does 75% of base damage, and base damage on the Bruiser class is really low. You might tickle a high level Zed with a Bruiser's Retaliate, but not much more.

Meat Wall Bruisers very often utilize Overwatch to trigger Defensive Stance and soak up damage. Retaliate doesn't currently work in Overwatch so to a degree it goes to waste in many situations. At least Dodge still works in Overwatch and can trigger either an outright Dodge, or at higher RSLs it will mitigate a Critical Attack down to a Normal Attack when it triggers.

Bear in mind that if NG ever allows Retaliate to trigger in Overwatch it will be a much more effective trait on a Meat Wall style Bruiser.

[Edited to clarify Retaliate Damage]
    jimmorrison369Jadenbigbeanokamilowaty
  • avelardezavelardez Member Posts: 1,252
    What I got. My Slayer’s name says it all.
    bigbeano
  • TetatorTetator Member Posts: 47
    @tabernac and @jaden : thank you so much for your inputs. Irene is retired now based on your feedback and I stay with Donna for now. Tabernac thank you for the deep analysis of Meat Shield Bruiser which is what I want to do. The only question I have left for you is : would you stick with Donna or would you prefer the unicorn ?
    If I understand all your inputs it seems the best defense Bruiser is :
    - iron skin
    - dodge
    - retaliate
    - punish
    - defensive stance.

Donna has 4 of those traits. All except retaliate. But has luck.

I think the probability of dropping the perfect Bruiser is too small to wait for it. And based on your inputs tabernac I would consider starting investing in Donna.
    You concur ?
    bigbeanoGarretJaden
  • tabernactabernac Member Posts: 805
    @Tetator

For me the perfect platform for a Meat Wall Bruiser would be:
    - Luck
    - Punish
    - Iron Skin
    - Defensive Stance

The 5th trait really depends on preference. I'd be totally happy with Dodge or even Power Strike as a 5th trait. I could live with Retaliate or Vigilant or Strong as well. Bullet Dodge or Ruthless would probably be the only traits on that platform that would cause me to scrap.

I was just trying to manage expectations a bit. If Retaliate is on your Unicorn list, I was just trying to illustrate that at least on a Meat Wall Bruiser (with some focus on Overwatch), it might not totally live up to your expectations.
    Jadenbigbeano
    Very well :) @tabernac you gave my Donna a second life :) she is back in my A team and will be invested in :)

Thank you so much for your precious advices
    Jadenbigbeano
  • zeeblackzeeblack Member Posts: 1,098
    For me it would be Donna. Bruisers are defensive players who can take a lot of damage. So I would give plus points to iron skin and defensive stance. She lacks retaliate and so does Irene.
    I am Black, Zee Black, Level SeVeNtY fOuR with OnE hUnDrEd & FiFtY ThOuSaNd sTaRs, Elder, SG Woot, tWo MiLlIoN star guild
    Irene has retaliate :)