Newb here. What are the red icons with 3 mean?

In battle with the dead my survivors will get hit and stunned. If they get hit again they tend to struggle with the dead and a red icon with a 3 pops up. What does this mean? What can I do to save?
I’m struggling horribly in battle. I have level 6 and 7 survivors and battle like level walkers but I just get beat down. Most hits result in stun or the red icon and then die. Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• FujiFuji Member Posts: 84
    When they get into a struggle the 3 represents the number of turns before they die. When this happens use your other guys to kill the walker they are struggling with before the count goes to 0. Once you kill that walker you survivor is free to keep fighting
    smannRolltyde1
  • Rolltyde1Rolltyde1 Member Posts: 7
    When I move a player only half their movement and end my turn they are out into overwatch mode. I assumed this meant when attacked by a walker I would attack them before they attacked me since I still have a turn. Twice now I have done this and a walker came up to me while having overwatch on and instantly went to the red 3 round struggle. No stun and no chance to attack them first. What gives there? I’ve tried to find a good tutorial on mechanics of engagement but can’t find.
  • zbotzbot NML Legendary Moderator, OW Moderator Posts: 7,354
    @Rolltyde1 what level are your survivors and what level are the walkers? That usually happens if the walkers are higher level than your survivors. Higher level walkers means one hit struggle. Your survivor overwatch attack is working but interrupt is less effective vs. higher level walkers.
    Rolltyde1autumn_ash
    I am at levels 6 and 7 while the walkers are at 8-10. I am playing the missions. I am on Lakeside last level now.
  • enCryptenCrypt Member Posts: 29
    Hi @Rolltyde1
    When going into Overwatch, you need to be at least 2 steps away from the nearest walker for you to get an overwatch attack in first.
    This confused me when I first started too. If you stand right next to a walker, even in overwatch it will attack you first.
    Hope that helps...
    Rolltyde1autumn_ash
    Have you noticed that walkers can still move and attack when they have the star above them? I thought this meant they were stunned? If I attack and don’t kill the star goes to 2 and they are then officially stunned and won’t attack.
    As for the comment above, what determines if a walker stuns me or puts me into a 3 round struggle? Is it the amount of health I have left at the time?
  • autumn_ashautumn_ash Member Posts: 325
    edited November 2017
    @Rolltyde1 Common walkers can't stun. To be stunned by walker you need to get hit by the swat-like ones or by the big ones, fatties - these are the walkers that can stun. There's also goo walkers, but you'll get to these later.
    Walker will not put you into the struggle immediately if survivor will not lose all of his health (green bar) from hit. So upgrade your gear, it will give you more protection (but early in game I recommend to do gear upgrades only once per 2-3 levels). Watch for the traits on the gear from which your survivors and your playing style will benefit. Try to get survivors with such traits, and know your classes - some traits will be useful for a certain class, or a playing style/goals (like melee/range, walkers/people).
    TWD ⭐️ FearTWD ⭐️ Ride with Norman Reedus
    Rolltyde1
  • autumn_ashautumn_ash Member Posts: 325
    Also please check this recent thread from Strategy category with some very useful, concentrated tips and advices on what to do with your survivors early in game - - http://forums.nextgames.com/walkingdead/discussion/30465/help-with-starting-survivors
    TWD ⭐️ FearTWD ⭐️ Ride with Norman Reedus
    Rolltyde1
    How can a walker move around and attack when they have a star above them indicating they are stunned?
  • Marcus6253Marcus6253 Member Posts: 221
    These are visual effects and not some special powers walkers have. If I have a bruiser on over watch and a walker approaches and the survivor hits it it is stunned but the graphic shows that it was stunned before it moved, thus it looks like it moves while stunned. The game has had these display artifacts forever and doesn't look like they will be fixed soon or ever.
    autumn_ashRolltyde1
  • BurmeliinisBurmeliinis Member Posts: 982
    Rolltyde1 said:

How can a walker move around and attack when they have a star above them indicating they are stunned?

At least for me the game will put the signs already in advance, before showing the enemy's moves. So let's say you have a bruiser on overwatch, and there is a walker 2 steps away. You click "End turn". Immediately, the stunned sign will pop up above that walker's head. Only then will you see the animation, where the walker walks up to your bruiser, who uses his overwatch attack to stun the walker.

So could be this "feature" that confuses you.
    Ingame username: Jubjab
    Rolltyde1
  • enCryptenCrypt Member Posts: 29
    Rolltyde1 said:

I think I know what you mean actually, I've seen that too and I don't think its the bug where the 'stun' icon comes up above the walker before you hit it. This is something different that I haven't figured out either. Its not quite the same icon as the 'stun' icon but I cannot remember what is different about it now...
    Rolltyde1
  • wrinkled_bagwrinkled_bag Member Posts: 713
    enCrypt said:

Rolltyde1 said:

I think I know what you mean actually, I've seen that too and I don't think its the bug where the 'stun' icon comes up above the walker before you hit it. This is something different that I haven't figured out either. Its not quite the same icon as the 'stun' icon but I cannot remember what is different about it now...

Read the answer above your post.